ADVERTISEMENT

UVA hires new coach

Hoos19NC

Hokie Hall of Fame
Jun 28, 2012
Hoos hire Bronco Mendenhall from BYU......didn't see that one coming. Nice job.

Good hire for you guys. It might take him two or three years to get things going in BooHooVille but I think good times will return in football under Mendenhall.

Good hire for you guys. It might take him two or three years to get things going in BooHooVille but I think good times will return in football under Mendenhall.
Time will tell but it's nice to get a proven winner, he went 99-42 while at BYU and 11 straight bowls. Hopefully he will do a good job.

A new coach for UVA to carry on the losing tradition against tech.
I wouldn't bet on it....for the first time UVA has a coach that actually brings an attitude to the field, his teams play a little meaner.....kind of what I have always felt Bud brought to VT. This guy has more wins than Fuente has even coached. Plus he is 4-0 against Fuente....

Yeah nice hire. It may be easier to turn a looser around than keep winning in Provo.

Congrats, seems like a good hire for the hoos, however, won't have too many 20=21 yr old freshman at uva-after having done 2 year morman mission stuff...

Reactions: Salemite
Congrats, seems like a good hire for the hoos, however, won't have too many 20=21 yr old freshman at uva-after having done 2 year morman mission stuff...
Can you imagine how hard it was to recruit to BYU.....hopefully he can get the job done. But just like I've said about Fuente, only time will tell if either is a good hire.

Reactions: Salemite
Also...19-23 against P5, including a loss to London.
LOL...really....your boy is 4-6 against P5 with one quality win over Ole Miss. He's only coached against 10 total P5 schools. Is that suppose to scare some one? Barely a winning record against non P5's. If he doesn't make the decision to keep Bud I would be worried as a Hokie. Can he recruit is a big question mark.

LOL...really....your boy is 4-6 against P5 with one quality win over Ole Miss. He's only coached against 10 total P5 schools. Is that suppose to scare some one? Barely a winning record against non P5's. If he doesn't make the decision to keep Bud I would be worried as a Hokie. Can he recruit is a big question mark.
His body of work should scare the hell out of you if you are smart. If I was a Hoo it would worry me a lot, especially with him joining your overlord, Bud.

Reactions: HooFart
Littlepage, has done IT again. Screwed the Hoos. Past amazing ! And there's a reason he wants out of BYU. One other thing, there is a difference in playing tough and playing dirty. That stuff won't last long in the ACC. Carry On

Nice hire. Mendenhall is not an elite coach, but he is definitely solid as hell, and he doesn't take any b.s. from players. He'll get you guys competitive again for sure.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Solid ????? Background of what ??? His Team is known for being the dirtiest players in Football. His time was running out at BYU because of just that. Cry Babies there in Hooville had Run Out of options on finding a coach that would work with a AD that will be gone in the near future ... Anything else you need to know.. carry on

Solid ????? Background of what ??? His Team is known for being the dirtiest players in Football. His time was running out at BYU because of just that. Cry Babies there in Hooville had Run Out of options on finding a coach that would work with a AD that will be gone in the near future ... Anything else you need to know.. carry on
Jack I just didn't see you being so worried about UVA's hire....I'm sure he's nothing compared to Fuentes and his .500 record. I really believe both schools hired good guys. Only time will tell if either or both are really good hires. Which one comes in and does the best recruiting could be the difference. I like the fact his players play with attitude, certainly been lacking that at UVA.

I don't think you can call 11 straight bowls anything less than solid. Look, the dude is not going to get UVa a national championship, but he has a proven history of winning games and putting his teams into bowls.

The guy had been at BYU for 11 years. It is puzzling as to why he would leave an established winning program to come to UVA who has a history of losing. The guy has spent most if not all his life out west. Why would he want to come to Charlottesville, VA ? He is going to experience culture shock. Heck I experience culture shock every time I go up there and I only live 97 miles away.
There's something fishy with this hire.

The guy had been at BYU for 11 years. It is puzzling as to why he would leave an established winning program to come to UVA who has a history of losing. The guy has spent most if not all his life out west. Why would he want to come to Charlottesville, VA ? He is going to experience culture shock. Heck I experience culture shock every time I go up there and I only live 97 miles away.
The God Father brought him here HR.....He's keeping coach Beatty and Hagans. Beatty is by far the best recruiter we had, good move.

The God Father brought him here HR.....He's keeping coach Beatty and Hagans. Beatty is by far the best recruiter we had, good move.
Joking aside, are you not just a little bit concerned about Beatty?
I'd love to have his recruiting abilities at VT; I would hate to have him at VT.

He's at UVA, that in itself raises a red flag about him. Also he has bounced around a lot in the short time he has been in college ranks. But he probably has a good working relationship with Godfather. He's probably the "middle man" if you know what I mean.

He's at UVA, that in itself raises a red flag about him. Also he has bounced around a lot in the short time he has been in college ranks. But he probably has a good working relationship with Godfather. He's probably the "middle man" if you know what I mean.
I sure hope he is so we can keep those recruits coming....

Don't know if the Godfather can handle this guy. If anything, its going to get interesting up in Charlottesville.

http://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/2014/12/25/byu-fire-bronco-mendenhall/20900035/

Don't know if the Godfather can handle this guy. If anything, its going to get interesting up in Charlottesville.

http://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/2014/12/25/byu-fire-bronco-mendenhall/20900035/
Since the Godfather is a figment of HR's imagination I highly doubt Bronco is worried about it. It helps HR except the fact there are recruits that actually want to play for Mr. Jeffersons University. I suspect HR is curled up in the fetal position this morning crying his eyes out.

I agree with Heaks here, he's a solid x and o guy which UVa hasn't had in a long time. With better the better talent at UVa he might be a threat every 4-5 yrs to the coastal and with some luck win the acc. In the meantime he'll at least have some winning seasons. Huge upgrade over London.

Why would you hate to have Beatty?
Ha! I didn't ask in order to gain an opportunity to answer.
You uva boys are tricky.
iEomNKJ8EouLC.gif

I agree with Heaks here, he's a solid x and o guy which UVa hasn't had in a long time. With better the better talent at UVa he might be a threat every 4-5 yrs to the coastal and with some luck win the acc. In the meantime he'll at least have some winning seasons. Huge upgrade over London.
I really believe VT, Miami and UVA all did real well with these hires. I believe these new coaches will help the ACC become a better conference.

Reactions: B1dee and Salemite
I really believe VT, Miami and UVA all did real well with these hires. I believe these new coaches will help the ACC become a better conference.
I agree with that, though I'd rather scUM and you guys had picked in fashion similar to your recent past.
No offense intended.

What's not fishy is the pay raise. When his wife heard the offer, she likely started packing his bags!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT