ADVERTISEMENT

VT lands another JUCO

Most excellent news!

Welcome Mr. Moore to The Hokie Nation!

He chose Vt over Auburn and Georgia among others! That makes me giggle like a little girl.

I saw a picture of Demetri and he has very little body fat. Looks like The Rock in a T-shirt.

Last edited:
What's the deal with the JUCO kids? Are these kids that didn't qualify coming out of high school but know their grades are good? Has VT been getting JUCO kids in the past? As HR would say this smells a little fishy....LOL

Some did not qualify, some were not recognized. Beamer was never big on getting JUCO kids but he was about the only one. All the SEC, BIG 12 and Pac12 programs nab a few JUCO guys every year they are more prepared and ready to compete and just as good as the HS kids with 2 years less eligibility. Taking a JUCO player is in no way a "downgrade" Bama just signed one as well and they have their pick of the litter with HS kids. Glad we finally started looking at these guys, its a good way to add depth, and fill immediate needs. Think about this.. one of our BEST defensive players from a few years ago CJ Reavis is now a JUCO kid and someone will upgrade instantly with him.

Some did not qualify, some were not recognized. Beamer was never big on getting JUCO kids but he was about the only one. All the SEC, BIG 12 and Pac12 programs nab a few JUCO guys every year they are more prepared and ready to compete and just as good as the HS kids with 2 years less eligibility. Taking a JUCO player is in no way a "downgrade" Bama just signed one as well and they have their pick of the litter with HS kids. Glad we finally started looking at these guys, its a good way to add depth, and fill immediate needs. Think about this.. one of our BEST defensive players from a few years ago CJ Reavis is now a JUCO kid and someone will upgrade instantly with him.

Majority of the good 4 and 5 star HS kids who play as freshmen leave after 3 years anyway, so you really lose one year of eligibility when you sign a JUCO kid.

What's the deal with the JUCO kids? Are these kids that didn't qualify coming out of high school but know their grades are good? Has VT been getting JUCO kids in the past? As HR would say this smells a little fishy....LOL

Jerod Evans (the #1 rated JUCO QB) had very good grades coming out of college. He signed with Air Force from HS but injured his knee freshman year at the academy....while rehabbing his knee he decided that military life just wasn't for him so he enrolled at a junior college to play football and transfer to a D1 program.

We've gotten a few JUCO's in the past, I believe Corey Moore was a JUCO yes? The thing I'm seeing between these two kids were that they were both heavily recruited by Fuente when he was a Memphis. So I think part of it is he has seen a glaring weakness at the position he is recruiting them for (QB and OL) and the other part is him following through with his recruiting promises while he was the coach at Memphis.

Nothing fishy here.. I don't understand the hate some people have with JUCO's....yes we only get 2 years from them, but at the end of the day how many kids do we see transfer year in and year out because of lack of playing time etc...College Football is a sport of turnover due to injury, academics and transfers. If a kid can come in and contribute then I have no problem with them enrolling

Not to hijack the thread but I noticed Holland Fisher is at juco in California. Is he ever going to be a Hokie? Didnt he already go to prep school as well?

I say look around and get the best talent available each year. Why not go to Jr colleges and prep schools.

Eddie George prepped in VA then won the Heisman at Ohio State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT