ADVERTISEMENT

We need to bench Brewer and move on...

hokiemtc

Hokie Hall of Fame
Mar 29, 2002
...the guy throws the lowest percentage passes on 3rd down I've ever seen. He's not getting coached up about situational awareness and he doesn't have that game feel naturally, so it's time to get someone in there that does. And it's been happening all year, so it's not going to magically get better.

Well...now Motley is gimpy, and the coaches apparently don't trust him to throw the ball, anyway...so I guess we're stuck with what we have.

Maybe we can field goal them to death or something.

Seriously? That pocket was COLLAPSING around him and he couldn't sense that? Jesus Christ, Brewer is the worst QB I have ever seen at VT. How does a guy who can't throw a long ball, or detect a collapsing pocket inches away from him have such impregnable job security?

And tiny little Coleman's chances of picking up a blitzing linebacker or a safety border on being negative numbers.

Yet another 3rd and short pass that was thrown 10 yards out of bounds 40 yards up field.

This guy has no clue whatsoever about the concept of "move the chains".

Originally posted by hokiemtc:
Yet another 3rd and short pass that was thrown 10 yards out of bounds 40 yards up field.

This guy has no clue whatsoever about the concept of "move the chains".
I'm more pissed about the miss to Ford. How many long balls has he attempted in this game and how many have been completed or even ten yards in the vicinity of the intended receiver?

And there goes Brewer being Brewer. Jesus, he is worthless as a QB.

Since UVa can't score on offense, then of course we throw a pick 6 to help them out.

And now Brewer is hurt. Leal is a professional. Motley is hurt. Who else do we have?

Does Ike Whitaker have any eligibility left?
laugh.r191677.gif

Brewer better win this game for us or his days at quarterback at Virginia Tech is over!

Originally posted by HokieNation:

Bucky could play QB.
Ooooooh...I like that thought, but it sounds like Beamer suddenly has 100% confidence that Motley can run the offense.

Riiiiiight, coach. That's why he played so much this year and kept Brewer from pissing away game after game for us.

Originally posted by HeaksManley:
How does a guy who can't throw a long ball, or detect a collapsing pocket inches away from him have such impregnable job security?
Have Frank Beamer for HC = impregnable job security.

Knowles has to be the worst kick returner I have ever seen at VT.

Heaks, I'm totally with you Brewer is nothing but a turnover machine. All his passes are late throws or too high(throw aways?). He cannot throw the ball accurately so the receiver is open when the ball gets to him. He throws it when the receiver is already open and his arm is so weak the player's covered by the time the ball gets to him.

How about Frank saying Motley hasn't played much so he can't pass very well. Who caused that to happen, Frank? This UVa team is awful and this may be the worst Hokie team ever.

Geez...after stinking up the joint the entire game and having us talk bad about him all game, that was one hell of a bomb Brewer just threw to Hodges.

Well, the offense didn't do much tonight, but they sure picked a heck of a time to whip out a big play TD drive. That was a minute and a half of some clutch football.

Originally posted by hokiemtc:
Well, the offense didn't do much tonight, but they sure picked a heck of a time to whip out a big play TD drive. That was a minute and a half of some clutch football.
Lmao, I almost feel bad for UVa. This is pathetic. They've played 2 of the worst VT teams in the Beamer era in the past 3 years and haven't won. They are absolutely hopeless.
laugh.r191677.gif

We finally threw to Bucky, thank goodness. One of the best receivers in college. I thought we were going to blow it in the end. Every time we play cautious on D this year, we give up some points. Still a great game and hard to see us playing so badly last week and UVa beating Miami and us coming out on top. We'll take it. Williams coming back on D really helped.

Originally posted by kent76:
Brewer better win this game for us or his days at quarterback at Virginia Tech is over!
Looks like he heard you!
happy.r191677.gif

In all seriousness, he earned my respect with all the beating he took today yet kept getting up.

Brewer took a huge beating. Va got smart on the long drive with quick shots down the field. But all QBs took a beating today. Tough game.

Brewer took a huge beating. Va got smart on the long drive with quick shots down the field. But all QBs took a beating today. Tough game.

Brewer pushed that team last night and they responded. The kid was getting demolished behind that patchwork line and took a lot of hard hits but kept getting up. He never quit on his team. You have to respect that.

He's had bad passes at times, but he's had great ones too. I think he has better touch on the ball than most QBs we've had here, even if the arm strength isn't as good.

Originally posted by VA4VT:

Brewer pushed that team last night and they responded. The kid was getting demolished behind that patchwork line and took a lot of hard hits but kept getting up. He never quit on his team. You have to respect that.

He's had bad passes at times, but he's had great ones too. I think he has better touch on the ball than most QBs we've had here, even if the arm strength isn't as good.
+1

Nick Sorenson wouldn't have won that game last night. I don't care what Heaks says.

Amazed how many on this board are down on Brewer. Yes, he's made some mistakes that have cost us. He doesn't have the strongest arm and he's not the fastest guy. Why is he the starter? He's smart, cool under pressure (even keel), and plays within the framework of the system as he must. He doesn't complain or pass on blame. He's tough, plays with a lot of heart, and it's my understanding his team mates like and respect him. Tech has no running game, a patchwork offensive line and a group of "first year" receivers.

I'm sure most of you will all agree that quarterback is absolutely the hardest position to play. Knowing how difficult it is, I wonder how many Brewer detractors have ever actually played quarterback on an organized football team. Flag does not count!

VT is 6-6 and should have beaten BC, GT and WF. A handful of plays and we would be 8-4 or 9-3. Not a bad record for a team with a new quarterback, new receivers and a ton of injuries. But we are 6-6. With either Leal or Mötley (or a combination) leading this team, my guess is we would have close wins over W&M, W. Michigan, and maybe one other team, leaving us 2-10 or 3-9.

So get behind the kid - his maturity and leadership will give us our best chance for a bowl victory.

Originally posted by Flashman:
Nick Sorenson wouldn't have won that game last night. I don't care what Heaks says.
What. When did I say Sorensen was better than Brewer?

And I agree with everyone else. Brewer deserves a lot of credit for the win last night. Still doesn't change my overall opinion of him, though, and I do think he will be passed on the depth chart next year.

Originally posted by B1dee:
By who?
Take your pick. We have three other QBs who probably have higher developmental ceilings. Though, admittedly, they probably won't overtake him until later on in the season. If Loeffler is canned after this year (which I doubt will happen), then I could easily see another QB taking over the starting position out of spring.

If we had lost to UVA he'd most likely already have his office cleaned out. Now with the euphoria over the UVA win and keeping the Commonwealth Cup and bowl streak alive he probably gets an extension.

And I agree with everyone else. Brewer deserves a lot of credit for the win last night. Still doesn't change my overall opinion of him, though, and I do think he will be passed on the depth chart next year.
When you said he was the worst QB you had ever seen play at Virginia Tech and you posted a long list including Sorenson.

When you said he was the worst QB you had ever seen play at Virginia Tech and you posted a long list including Sorenson.
Should have said Sorensen and Clark as I was thinking of the '97 team. Noel was also bad but nowhere near as bad as Sorensen, you are correct. Clark was bad too but at least mobile.

Good ideas, but no solution. Bench Brewer, fine but who you got? Don't want to play Motley, that's certainly fine too, but who you got? There is no quality quarterback in the program. Brewer is the best, and recruiting does not look good either. It's easy to say don't play this guy, or that guy, but who you got?

Originally posted by blue bomber:
Good ideas, but no solution. Bench Brewer, fine but who you got? Don't want to play Motley, that's certainly fine too, but who you got? There is no quality quarterback in the program. Brewer is the best, and recruiting does not look good either. It's easy to say don't play this guy, or that guy, but who you got?
Motley has always recieved a lot of fan support but he is not ready to take over as QB. He is also very injury prone so far.
The other two guys I think will make Good QB's but not today. It's too late to be thinking about burning their shirts anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT