ADVERTISEMENT

Well GT coach deserves COY award IMO

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
I thought GT was going downhill fast when their QB from last year bolted from the program and dissed the O.

And I hate playing GT but love to watch their O.

From what I hear he's not one of the most likeable guys around. and check his record with NCAA violations..

No question he deserved COY.....I'm impressed that he can win with his style of offense in D1.

Defense for GT and 1 of the more underrated programs in history

You can go back to the 30's and this bunch was.....tough. 70's? Tough. 90's? Tough. 2000's? Tough. They have been consistently good for years with a few titles back in the day and the most recent one of course was nearly 25 years ago, but this bunch is consistently pretty dang good, 8 and 4, 7 and 5, 9 and 3, 10 and 2 and they don't deviate much at all. The key is....talent in GA. They still get enough talent to compete and be competitive. They have enough talent and have enough talent to NOT have to run a gimmick or option offense. Of course, this is watch PJ knows and he runs it, but they can be competitive when PJ leaves with a non-option oriented offense because of the talent they can still bring in. The difference when GT has a fantastic year like this one that sets them apart is the DEFENSE. Their D is pretty good. I don't care what the rankings or stats say, their D is good. UGA's offense was rolling and GT played them pretty good. Their front four and backers and secondary all played pretty good. I think GT can beat Florida State. I also think GT will lose to FSU by 7 points. It will be close.

Re: Defense for GT and 1 of the more underrated programs in history

I was shocked they beat Georgia, but Georgia has a history of losing games they should win, just like another team I know.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see this thread. I live near Atlanta, go to a few GT games a year, when not at VT games, and am a fan of GT, but not necessarily PJ. I was at the VT/GtTgame this year and came away feeling that VT had to do a complete throw up to allow such a poor GT team to win. They have a good QB, but at that time, no really good RB's where previously they had an entire complement of good RB's Dwyer and Allen with Nesbitt as their QB. That was a scary combination. I told my GT friends as much that I believed it was one of the weakest GT teams I'd seen in quite some time.
Fast forward:
That was NOT the team that completely handled Georgia. So, a large measure of a good coach, is how his team improved throughout the year, and how much he gets out of his talent. If that's true, PJ certainly deserves some consideration for coach of the year, certainly in the ACC.

I'd never vote for him due to his character and personality.

That's exactly how I feel about Nicky Satan........just an a-hole!!!! Of course this is my opinion and he can't coach in the NFL either....

During the game PJ is all business and I like that. But I've seen personal interviews and locker room talks and he's an OK guy.

Lucus is right about their D stepping up this year and they have throttled some good O's this year like Georgia.

And with VT batting .500...that's a vacancy in the upper echelon of college football just sitting there for another program to pounce on and take advantage.

Duke is trying and succeeded last yr...GT this year.

I always wondered how good a team would be with a triple option offense and a Bud Foster defense

Originally posted by VT/UK Rondo:
I always wondered how good a team would be with a triple option offense and a Bud Foster defense
As much as I've hated that triple option, you got my attention with that one. Interesting. 90s Nebraska? Would be fun to see.

I wish NCAA would change rules to require every team to run the Spread No Huddle Offense.

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
That's exactly how I feel about Nicky Satan........just an a-hole!!!! Of course this is my opinion and he can't coach in the NFL either....
Paul Johnson is Nick Saban minus the national championships (in FBS) and personality. I'll never forget the 16 Mile game back in 1999 when Johnson was coaching at Georgia Southern but that's another story for another time.

People with the personality of Johnson should not be coaching. One can be a good coach without being a jerk.

Lucus is right . It was the D improvement that did it for GT this year. If you have good talent you don't even have to have great depth on D because the O keeps the ball for a great deal of the time with this O. I thought he deserved the coach of the year award. I also though they would beat UGA but I wasn't going to put any money on it. Richt loses big games hmmmmmmm.

Originally posted by leeanderthal:
Lucus is right . It was the D improvement that did it for GT this year. If you have good talent you don't even have to have great depth on D because the O keeps the ball for a great deal of the time with this O. I thought he deserved the coach of the year award. I also though they would beat UGA but I wasn't going to put any money on it. Richt loses big games hmmmmmmm.
The defense? The same defense that gave up 31 in a loss to Duke, and 48 and nearly 600 yards in a loss to UNC? Or, 38 and over 500 yards in a win over Ga. Southern? Then, with a chance to win the ACC, they gave up nearly 500 yards and 37 points to FSU and let Winston look like last year's Winston, which is something he hadn't done all year.

The offense was clearly the key for GT. They kept the ball, scored points, and limited possessions for the other team. They held Ga. to 24 (17 on offense), but Ga. only had 7 possessions total, 2 of which they fumbled at the GT goal line. They held Miami to 17, but Miami
only had 7 possessions total, and in the 2nd half of this game, GT started with a pair of 75 yard TD drives that ate up 7 minutes each, meaning Miami only had one 3rd quarter possession. So, Miami drives 70 yards for a FG on its 1st possession of the 3rd quarter, and does not start its 2nd possession until 11 minutes were left in the game, and we are supposed to give the GT defense credit for this?

I will give the GT defense credit for real good games against UVA and Clemson, but that is about all I see out of 13 games. Meanwhile, the offense had real good or better games at least 10 times.

The defense? The same defense that gave up 31 in a loss to Duke, and 48 and nearly 600 yards in a loss to UNC? Or, 38 and over 500 yards in a win over Ga. Southern? Then, with a chance to win the ACC, they gave up nearly 500 yards and 37 points to FSU and let Winston look like last year's Winston, which is something he hadn't done all year.

The offense was clearly the key for GT. They kept the ball, scored points, and limited possessions for the other team. They held Ga. to 24 (17 on offense), but Ga. only had 7 possessions total, 2 of which they fumbled at the GT goal line. They held Miami to 17, but Miami
only had 7 possessions total, and in the 2nd half of this game, GT started with a pair of 75 yard TD drives that ate up 7 minutes each, meaning Miami only had one 3rd quarter possession. So, Miami drives 70 yards for a FG on its 1st possession of the 3rd quarter, and does not start its 2nd possession until 11 minutes were left in the game, and we are supposed to give the GT defense credit for this?

I will give the GT defense credit for real good games against UVA and Clemson, but that is about all I see out of 13 games. Meanwhile, the offense had real good or better games at least 10 times.
skank, you are part right. Check out the defensive turnovers for GT, and you will see that's how they won their games. They had 27 defensive turnovers on the season with 26 of them coming in their wins. Combine that with their ball control offense and you can see how devastating it is for a team to turn over the ball to GT. They don't allow many possessions in the first place, but when a team turns it over 2.6 times a game, it doesn't allow for much offense at all. If they didn't get turnovers, they didn't win.

I agree GT forcing turnovers helped them win some games, but you said it best, these turnovers hurt the opponent more because of the GT offense this year. GT's 27 turnovers were the 16th most this year, which is pretty good, but 26 teams forced 25 or more this year, so it is not like GT's defense forced a lot more turnovers than everyone else.

GT allowed 396 yards a game, which put them 65th in the country, and just think how worse these numbers would be if GT's offense did not limit the other team's possessions? Also, GT allowed over 6 yards per play, which put them outside the top 100.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT