ADVERTISEMENT

Well that didn't take long...

hokiemtc

Hokie Hall of Fame
Mar 29, 2002
...only four games into the Fuente era and a .500 program is already back in the AP Top 25.

Congrats to the coaches and players for getting their stuff together so quickly, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how good this team can get this year!

Reactions: salemfan32
UNC points given up to date (plus opposing offense scoring rank)...

33 (UGa is ranked #75 @ 26.5 pts/gm)
23 (Ill is ranked #118 @ 16.3 pts/gm)
28 (JMU - FCS)
36 (Pitt is ranked #20 @ 39.8 pts/gm)
35 (FSU is ranked #25 @ 38.8 pts/gm)

VT is currently ranked #14 @ 42.3 pts/gm.

The best UNC's defense has done all year is to hold an opponent to 3 less points that what they normally average scoring, and in half their games against FBS foes, they gave up a TD more than the opponent averages scoring. This suggests that VT should score between 39 and 49 points.

UNC points scored to date (plus opposing defense scoring rank)...

24 (UGa is ranked #81 @ 32.5 pts/gm)
48 (Ill is ranked #102 @ 37.7 pts/gm)
56 (JMU - FCS)
37 (Pitt is ranked #100 @ 37.0 pts/gm)
37 (FSU is ranked #115 @ 42.2 pts/gm)

VT is currently ranked #29 @ 20.7 pts/gm.

Interesting to see that UNC's offense hasn't played a defense ranked higher than #81 in the country so far this year. Even so, UNC has only scored more than an opponent averages giving up once (Illinois), and in half their games against FBS foes, they scored less than the opponent averages giving up. This suggests that UNC should score between 14 and 20 points.

Statistically, this game has blow out written all over it. This will be the best offense and BY FAR the best defense that UNC has seen this season, and if VT's special teams continue to play like the last two weeks, then it will probably be the best special teams that UNC has seen this season as well.

The numbers suggest the score should be in the range of VT 42 UNC 17, but there's two factors here than I think should downgrade the prediction: 1) I'm still a child of bad offense throughout VT's history, so I'm still skeptical about putting together 3 straight sharp performances in a row (although Fuente is doing his best to alter that reality), and 2) I think UNC has played a better schedule, which has skewed the numbers a little bit.

Because of these factors, I think I'll move a TD in both directions and go with VT 35 UNC 24, although there's a huge disclaimer attached that if VT turns the ball over like it did against UTenn, we will lose outright.

Reactions: RB4 and salemfan32
I like VT's chances to run the table. 11-1 and ACC championship game win should get us into playoffs.

I think it is way early to think we could run the table and get into the playoffs. We just do not have all the pieces necessary to do that. I would be very happy to have 8 or more wins and that is very achievable. Next week will be a great litmus test. UNC has a very talented team especially on offense. They have been pretty successful at attacking the secondary and with the way Foster defends we will give up some major plays in the passing game. If we can pressure NC's QB then I think we can minimize scores off the passing game. The last few years UNC has matched up well against us. We still do not have a viable run game and that is a big handicap.

I think we are in for a really good game and with 2 ranked opponents with a lot to lose you know each team will be after it.

I saw some Bowl Projection list. The dumb guy has VT playing ECU in Military Bowl at Naval Academy. Hopefully he is looking for a new line of work.

Hi guys,

Nice to see both teams ranked and in a good time slot for the game Saturday.

Anyone coming to town for the game?

Winner has the inside track for the Coastal even with a lot of football left to be played but that's a pretty obvious statement.

Hope its a clean game with no controversies, but this the kind of game that makes for a great football weekend.

I have always been treated well on my trips to Blacksburg and hope to return the hospitality!

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Heel,

What are the chances to score tickets at the game? I have not been to a game there yet and would like to. Think this will be a deciding game for the Hokies. Win this one and the momentum is in our favor for the rest of the season. ND does not look to be all that formidable at this point in time. Of course with our luck the fire will be lit and ND comes out strong for us.

My worry with UNC right now is the deep threat and Bud leaves his guys out on islands a lot so that will be a source of some points for you. I just hope our pass rush is quick enough to upset your timing.

I look for this to be a high scoring game, both can strike fast. Edge to UNCheats for being at home. 38-31

Hi guys,

Nice to see both teams ranked and in a good time slot for the game Saturday.

Anyone coming to town for the game?

Winner has the inside track for the Coastal even with a lot of football left to be played but that's a pretty obvious statement.

Hope its a clean game with no controversies, but this the kind of game that makes for a great football weekend.

I have always been treated well on my trips to Blacksburg and hope to return the hospitality!
Planning on being there if we aren't having a major hurricane.

I think you can throw out the stats, and ranking for this one.. It should be a hard fought game. Our ranking really means nothing. It was not earned, and what good is it if your only in for one week? But I think VT player are eager to climb and eager to really get the UT taste out of there mouth for the first big game since. I can't wait to watch and I really hope we win this program could really use it. Regardless I hope it is at least competitive. I think this year is all a gift no matter what. VT with Fuente and Foster could be lethal in about 2 or 3 years.. NEXT year if we can somehow keep Evans, Ford, Hodges (if he eliminates easy drops), Phillips (if he holds on to the ball), and McMillan. It is fun to be a Hokie again!

I think you can throw out the stats, and ranking for this one.. It should be a hard fought game. Our ranking really means nothing. It was not earned, and what good is it if your only in for one week? But I think VT player are eager to climb and eager to really get the UT taste out of there mouth for the first big game since. I can't wait to watch and I really hope we win this program could really use it. Regardless I hope it is at least competitive. I think this year is all a gift no matter what. VT with Fuente and Foster could be lethal in about 2 or 3 years.. NEXT year if we can somehow keep Evans, Ford, Hodges (if he eliminates easy drops), Phillips (if he holds on to the ball), and McMillan. It is fun to be a Hokie again!
Wow Hodges isn't a senior? Seems like he's been on the field for 4 years.

Heel,

What are the chances to score tickets at the game? I have not been to a game there yet and would like to. Think this will be a deciding game for the Hokies. Win this one and the momentum is in our favor for the rest of the season. ND does not look to be all that formidable at this point in time. Of course with our luck the fire will be lit and ND comes out strong for us.

My worry with UNC right now is the deep threat and Bud leaves his guys out on islands a lot so that will be a source of some points for you. I just hope our pass rush is quick enough to upset your timing.

Sorry, just got in from work.

You should have little trouble getting tickets outside the stadium or up on Franklin Street earlier in the day.

I agree this may be the deciding game for the Coastal, although we gained a little breathing room by edging FSU.

We are a little banged up as well with some issues on D and at receiver but we are deeper there.

If Mitch is on with the deep ball, and he has been except for UGA, we can stretch the field and do some damage.

Hope we both have a great games and everyone stays healthy.

Wow Hodges isn't a senior? Seems like he's been on the field for 4 years.

No Hodges is a RS. JR. seems that way because of his redshirt year people were talking about him when he was showing out when he was on the scout team being "Eric Ebron" during the UNC game week that year, which motivated the switch from QB to TE.

Any thoughts on if the hurricane will impact the game? Guess that depends on if Matthew makes landfall or skirts the coast. Would seem to the weather should be kind of nasty which will hamper the passing game. Who has the best run offense? Ours is really suspect so I am guessing the nod goes to UNC? Hope we don't develop fumbleitis with the wet ball.

If it isn't raining, VT needs to put pressure on UNC QB on every play, he cannot throw ball well when on the ground.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT