ADVERTISEMENT

What's up Hokies??

Nov 8, 2006
Thought I would stop by and talk some football as we build up to the biggest game in CFB history. I'll give you guys a quick position-by-position breakdown of the Vols, would like to hear your thoughts on Tennessee and info on your Hokies is much appreciated as well.

QUARTERBACK: Josh Dobbs is a 3 year starter and is a good player. He is careful with the football, as evidenced by only throwing 5 INT's in 2015. But he only threw 15 TD's... Our passing game isn't great and many think Dobbs inability as a passer has something to do with that. At 6'4 220 He is a strong and elusive runner. Our read option and QB powers are bread and butter for Tennessee. Behind Dobbs is 4* sophomore Quiton Dormady. Better arm than Dobbs but obviously less experienced and not near the runner.

RUNNINGBACK: Jalen Hurd is 6'4 240 and only needs 900 yards to be come
Tennessee's all time leading rusher. He is a versatile back and hard to bring down in space. His weakness has been top end speed. He has a ton of runs that are the 8-12 yard range but lacks the ability to take it to the house. Alvin Kamara is option 1A and is more of an all-purpose back. He is very hard to tackle and has a little more wiggle than Hurd. Kamara catches the ball as well as any RB in the country. Tennessee's 3rd string RB is Sophomore John Kelly. The staff seems to trust him and think he will be a solid SEC back.

OFFENSIVE LINE: Return 4/5 starters from 2015. Depth is good and most think we have 8 or 9 guys who can play. I would be disappointed in this group if they aren't a strength of the team.

WIDERECEIVER: As pointed out with the quarterback write-up, the passing game isn't great. We do have a lot of talent at WR though. 5*'s Preston Williams and Josh Malone have all the tools, incoming 4* freshman Marquez Callaway and Tyler Byrd look good in camp... But most Vol fan's will be taking a wait and see approach to the passing game. A lot of potential but not much production to date.

TIGHTEND: Ethan Wolfe is a 3rd year starter and a good player. He needs to be more physical blocking though. Converted WR Jason Croom is 6'4 248 and looks like a match-up problem. He hasn't played a game at TE yet though so we shall see. Tennessee usually has 1 or 2 TEs on the field at a time. H-Back Jakob Johnson should see time as well.

DEFENSIVE LINE: Group is led by Derek Barnett. The junior has 20 sacks to date and many think he is a top 15 pick in the next NFL draft. Depth at DE is plentiful. Our DC says we have 7 guys who he thinks can play. Corey Vereen is undersized but productive. Former 5* Kyle Phillips should have a breakout sophomore season. A lot of anticipation of what 5* Jonathan Kongbo will look like as well. At 6'6 280, he's pretty, but how long will it take to play well at the P5 level.

Tennesseee is a little thin at DT depth wise but should be fine. Group will be led by former 5* Kahlil McKenzie. A couple gritty veterans in this group as well. Sophomore DT Shy Tuttle is probably to most talented DT on roster but there are questions about his health. He broke is leg against Georgia last season. I don't anticipate any contributions from Tuttle vs VT.

LINEBACKER: Jaylen Reeves-Maybin is special. He's a little undersized but his production is off the charts. Sophomore Mike Darrin Kirkland Jr is also a little undersized but a really good player as well. Kirkland probably has a higher ceiling than JRM. Both guys can really run. Not sure I would trade starting LBs with anyone in the country. Depth is good at Will, Mike depth is questionable. We do not play a Sam very often.

DEFENSIVE BACK: CB Cam Sutton has 1st round potential and is a 4 year starter. Depth is good across the board. Our base is a 4-2-5 so opponents will see a lot of DBs. We have recruited well and talent is plentiful. I think S Todd Kelly Jr will have a solid year. Most think S Rashaun Gaulden starts and is a playmaker as well. 6'2 Junior, Justin Martin, has a ton of potential but has not played much CB in his career. Vol fans are excited to see how he develops this season.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Our kick return units were special in 2015. I believe Tennessee had 7 kicks returned for TDs. Evan Berry on KOR and Cam Sutton on PR.

Hope this write up is well received. Tell me about your Hokies.

Last edited:
IMO, mere speculation and rumor at this point. Alot depends on how much of Fuentes system is implemented and how much the current players are able to adjust to it. Even Buds defense might have some tweaking done to it. To date we havent even named the starting QB.

Thought I would stop by and talk some football as we build up to the biggest game in CFB history. I'll give you guys a quick position-by-position breakdown of the Vols, would like to hear your thoughts on Tennessee and info on your Hokies is much appreciated as well.

QUARTERBACK: Josh Dobbs is a 3 year starter and is a good player. He is careful with the football, as evidenced by only throwing 5 INT's in 2015. But he only threw 15 TD's... Our passing game isn't great and many think Dobbs inability as a passer has something to do with that. At 6'4 220 He is a strong and elusive runner. Our read option and QB powers are bread and butter for Tennessee. Behind Dobbs is 4* sophomore Quiton Dormady. Better arm than Dobbs but obviously less experienced and not near the runner.

RUNNINGBACK: Jalen Hurd is 6'4 240 and only needs 900 yards to be come
Tennessee's all time leading rusher. He is a versatile back and hard to bring down in space. His weakness has been top end speed. He has a ton of runs that are the 8-12 yard range but lacks the ability to take it to the house. Alvin Kamara is option 1A and is more of an all-purpose back. He is very hard to tackle and has a little more wiggle than Hurd. Kamara catches the ball as well as any RB in the country. Tennessee's 3rd string RB is Sophomore John Kelly. The staff seems to trust him and think he will be a solid SEC back.

OFFENSIVE LINE: Return 4/5 starters from 2015. Depth is good and most think we have 8 or 9 guys who can play. I would be disappointed in this group if they aren't a strength of the team.

WIDERECEIVER: As pointed out with the quarterback write-up, the passing game isn't great. We do have a lot of talent at WR though. 5*'s Preston Williams and Josh Malone have all the tools, incoming 4* freshman Marquez Callaway and Tyler Byrd look good in camp... But most Vol fan's will be taking a wait and see approach to the passing game. A lot of potential but not much production to date.

TIGHTEND: Ethan Wolfe is a 3rd year starter and a good player. He needs to be more physical blocking though. Converted WR Jason Croom is 6'4 248 and looks like a match-up problem. He hasn't played a game at TE yet though so we shall see. Tennessee usually has 1 or 2 TEs on the field at a time. H-Back Jakob Johnson should see time as well.

DEFENSIVE LINE: Group is led by Derek Barnett. The junior has 20 sacks to date and many think he is a top 15 pick in the next NFL draft. Depth at DE is plentiful. Our DC says we have 7 guys who he thinks can play. Corey Vereen is undersized but productive. Former 5* Kyle Phillips should have a breakout sophomore season. A lot of anticipation of what 5* Jonathan Kongbo will look like as well. At 6'6 280, he's pretty, but how long will it take to play well at the P5 level.

Tennesseee is a little thin at DT depth wise but should be fine. Group will be led by former 5* Kahlil McKenzie. A couple gritty veterans in this group as well. Sophomore DT Shy Tuttle is probably to most talented DT on roster but there are questions about his health. He broke is leg against Georgia last season. I don't anticipate any contributions from Tuttle vs VT.

LINEBACKER: Jaylen Reeves-Maybin is special. He's a little undersized but his production is off the charts. Sophomore Mike Darrin Kirkland Jr is also a little undersized but a really good player as well. Kirkland probably has a higher ceiling than JRM. Both guys can really run. Not sure I would trade starting LBs with anyone in the country. Depth is good at Will, Mike depth is questionable. We do not play a Sam very often.

DEFENSIVE BACK: CB Cam Sutton has 1st round potential and is a 4 year starter. Depth is good across the board. Our base is a 4-2-5 so opponents will see a lot of DBs. We have recruited well and talent is plentiful. I think S Todd Kelly Jr will have a solid year. Most think S Rashaun Gaulden starts and is a playmaker as well. 6'2 Junior, Justin Martin, has a ton of potential but has not played much CB in his career. Vol fans are excited to see how he develops this season.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Our kick return units were special in 2015. I believe Tennessee had 7 kicks returned for TDs. Evan Berry on KOR and Cam Sutton on PR.

Hope this write up is well received. Tell me about your Hokies.

Nice job. Good in depth overview.

Many think this is a rebuilding year for VT.

Our QB position is up for grabs with a new Juco transfer and returning 2nd stringer from last year.

We have a new spread-hurry up O we need to learn.

We have a returning starter at RB and lots of depth behind him filled with 2 kids coming off injuries and a new red-shirt sophmore in the mix.

Our OLine may be our strength this year w 4 returning starters and the new face had lots of reps last year.

We have an AA potential TE and WR but other than those 2 we don't know.

Our DLine is new except one DE and our LBs and DBs are half new.

We are optimistic about our team but may be a year away from being good.

Many think this is a rebuilding year for VT.

Our QB position is up for grabs with a new Juco transfer and returning 2nd stringer from last year.

We have a new spread-hurry up O we need to learn.

We have a returning starter at RB and lots of depth behind him filled with 2 kids coming off injuries and a new red-shirt sophmore in the mix.

Our OLine may be our strength this year w 4 returning starters and the new face had lots of reps last year.

We have an AA potential TE and WR but other than those 2 we don't know.

Our DLine is new except one DE and our LBs and DBs are half new.

We are optimistic about our team but may be a year away from being good.

How good are you defensively from an individual talent standpoint?

I think offensively if y'all get your QB figured out, with Ford, Hodges, your RBs, etc you will be competitive and potentially pretty good. Is the FB #45 (I think) back? He's a nice weapon as well.

Reactions: Jackcrow
Yeah Sam Rogers is back at FB and he can run, pass and receive the ball. He's a former walk-on and very popular. I think we'll throw a lot of things at you on O and on D.

The only bad weakness your team seems to have is in the passing game. Me thinks our D coach will crowd the line and force you to throw the ball.

Who know, we could upset you guys if we bring our A game and your team makes some mistakes.

Reactions: Jackcrow
This is not biggest game in college football history.

For those thinking VT will lose, I remember those same people when VT went to that school in Ohio about 3 years ago.

Reactions: no.15
You did a great job , Rocky Top. We are probably two years away from being a good team due to a lack of depth. We have some very good players but there is a real gap between say the first 22 and the rest. Our major D uncertainties are our DL with three new starters. Our LBR's with one new starter and safety and CB with one new starter at each position . On O as has been mentioned, we don't know who our starting QB is going to be but we do have some talent in Evans a 4* JC transfer and Motley a SR. with some game experience . RB is prett y solid with some depth . WR is very good with two excellent starters but also we have no depth. We have a lot of talented guys on the roster but no experience. We're good at TE if our back-up Durkin fully recovers from a hernia operation. Hodges is super. Our O line for the first time in many years shuld be very good with 4 starters returning and some comers behind them.

Reactions: RockyTopRowdy58
You did a great job , Rocky Top. We are probably two years away from being a good team due to a lack of depth. We have some very good players but there is a real gap between say the first 22 and the rest. Our major D uncertainties are our DL with three new starters. Our LBR's with one new starter and safety and CB with one new starter at each position . On O as has been mentioned, we don't know who our starting QB is going to be but we do have some talent in Evans a 4* JC transfer and Motley a SR. with some game experience . RB is prett y solid with some depth . WR is very good with two excellent starters but also we have no depth. We have a lot of talented guys on the roster but no experience. We're good at TE if our back-up Durkin fully recovers from a hernia operation. Hodges is super. Our O line for the first time in many years shuld be very good with 4 starters returning and some comers behind them.

Excited to see the match-up between what looks like will be a really good Tennessee DL and Virginia Tech OL.

This is not biggest game in college football history.

For those thinking VT will lose, I remember those same people when VT went to that school in Ohio about 3 years ago.

Actually it will be biggest game in terms of attendance won't it? I love the idea for exposure. I don't think its a great venue but it will be nice to be part of largest crowd ever for cfb game. I think this matchup is hard to figure out. On one hand you have Vols who were 9-4 lost some very close games and has lots of talent with 2 top 5 recruiting classes on their team. On other hand is VT who lost many close games last year and under performed to be honest. Add in a new coach and system and the excitement and unknown that brings to the table and I think it adds up to great game!

Anybody worried about the playing surface? I read they only have 3 weeks to build field after race or something (don't follow Nascar). I don't want to see either team get injuries.

Actually it will be biggest game in terms of attendance won't it? I love the idea for exposure. I don't think its a great venue but it will be nice to be part of largest crowd ever for cfb game. I think this matchup is hard to figure out. On one hand you have Vols who were 9-4 lost some very close games and has lots of talent with 2 top 5 recruiting classes on their team. On other hand is VT who lost many close games last year and under performed to be honest. Add in a new coach and system and the excitement and unknown that brings to the table and I think it adds up to great game!

Anybody worried about the playing surface? I read they only have 3 weeks to build field after race or something (don't follow Nascar). I don't want to see either team get injuries.
Be sure to carry your binoculars.

Be sure to carry your binoculars.
The best view will be in front of my big screen. I got to believe the views from the game will suck for the most part. It's all about the numbers and dollars and being able to say it's the largest crowd ever at a live game.

The best view will be in front of my big screen. I got to believe the views from the game will suck for the most part. It's all about the numbers and dollars and being able to say it's the largest crowd ever at a live game.

I get that the game is mostly a marketing gimmick but better VT and Vol's than Meechigan and Ahia St. (I guarantee the Lil 10 try to one up this fairly soon).

I get that the game is mostly a marketing gimmick but better VT and Vol's than Meechigan and Ahia St. (I guarantee the Lil 10 try to one up this fairly soon).

Speaking of the B1G, how would you like to have Michigan's schedule this season??

Hawaii
UCF
Colorado
Penn St
Wisconsin
@Rutgers
Illinois
@Michigan St
Maryland
@Iowa
Indiana
@Ohio St

Penn St and Wisconsin are down, Michigan St is replacing their QB which can be very challenging, no way Iowa can maintain what they did in 2015... Schedule has 11-1 written all over it. MSU and Ohio St are the only 'good teams' on there.

nm
qpy4o.jpg

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
All Big 10 teams play cupcake schedules. Big 10 is so weak, no team should be even in consideration for a playoff spot at end of season. Half the SEC is better than anyone in Little 10. Heck the ACC can put several teams ahead of anyone from Little 10.

This is probably Tennessee's easiest schedule in 5 or more years.

We still have a 4 game stretch with Florida, @Georgia, @Texas A&M, Alabama.... But not as bad as it has been. When Oregon or Oklahoma were the OOC game + playing Bama, Florida, Georgia, and another SECW team, that was brutal.

I'll get this wrong, but there was a stat floating around last season that at the time Tennessee played their SECW opponent the opponent's record was 53-3... This was obviously a running total from several seasons... Point being, it seems we always get the best SECW teams in our schedule. Not the case this year, thankfully.

Looks like VT lucked up a little bit with no FSU or Clemson on the schedule this season.

Speaking of the B1G, how would you like to have Michigan's schedule this season??

Hawaii
UCF
Colorado
Penn St
Wisconsin
@Rutgers
Illinois
@Michigan St
Maryland
@Iowa
Indiana
@Ohio St

Penn St and Wisconsin are down, Michigan St is replacing their QB which can be very challenging, no way Iowa can maintain what they did in 2015... Schedule has 11-1 written all over it. MSU and Ohio St are the only 'good teams' on there.

I think those away games - @MSU, @Iowa, and @Ohio State are going to be challenging. I don't see anyone else having a real chance to beat them. I think 10-2.

I think those away games - @MSU, @Iowa, and @Ohio State are going to be challenging. I don't see anyone else having a real chance to beat them. I think 10-2.

Perhaps I am biased because of the beat down Tennessee put on them in the 2014 Gator Bowl... But I am not a believer in Iowa. They were the beneficiaries of a really bad schedule last season. I think an athletic team like Michigan will boat race them, much like Stanford did in the Rose Bowl.

Perhaps I am biased because of the beat down Tennessee put on them in the 2014 Gator Bowl... But I am not a believer in Iowa. They were the beneficiaries of a really bad schedule last season. I think an athletic team like Michigan will boat race them, much like Stanford did in the Rose Bowl.

3 OOC wannabees and 4 SEC teams with losing records...tell me again about that brutal Vol schedule last season. Ya'll basically beat UGA without Chubb in KVille and had a good bowl game.

3 OOC wannabees and 4 SEC teams with losing records...tell me again about that brutal Vol schedule last season. Ya'll basically beat UGA without Chubb in KVille and had a good bowl game.

AND........ I mean yall were 8 pts from being 4-9 [ga tech 2, uva 3, Tulsa 3]. Wins are fragile, take it from someone who has suffered through some poor seasons. Celebrate them all!

AND........ I mean yall were 8 pts from being 4-9 [ga tech 2, uva 3, Tulsa 3]. Wins are fragile, take it from someone who has suffered through some poor seasons. Celebrate them all!
I think that last post came from a UK perspective.

The east was a down. We did play 2 playoff teams. Beat the MAC champs by 4 tds.
Not too shabby. This year has great potential. While success is measured by championships, 2015 was a fun year to be a vol!

Just saw the uniforms VT is wearing for the UT game.....got to say they are as ugly as I have ever seen. Starting to rival Maryland, should stick to traditional uniforms on a stage like this to build the brand. Missed opportunity in my opinion.
I'd like them a little better if they had some splashes of orange and maroon in them somewhere, but otherwise I don't think they're too bad. They're certainly 1,000 times better looking than those God-awful, hideous throwbacks we like to wear.

The only thing about that color scheme is that I'm afraid from 30 yards out (you know, like if they're being shown on TV), they'll just look black and gray. They'll probably be pretty boring to look at from a distance when the TV viewer doesn't know they have that level of detail in them.

Thought I would stop by and talk some football as we build up to the biggest game in CFB history.
That me be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

And then shit the bed the rest of the season.

No wait, this the dumbest thing I've ever heard. A hoo who pulls for VT.

Whatever perspective you want to use, the Vols didnt play a "brutal" schedule last season as implied. The SEC east was a dumpster fire by numbers and eye test.

I use a perspective of logic and facts, unlike you it appears. According to Phil Steele 2015 Vols had 24th ranked strength of schedule(sos), bleacher report ranked it at #7, and teamranking.com had it 12th. So....don't really know where your going with that. I know they own Kentuck in fb and it obviously has affected your ability to view things objectively but I like the match up. I think it will show us where we are in terms of competing for ACC or how far we have to go.

Not really. It will be biggest game ever by the numbers. VT lost a lot of close games last year I will give you that, but still have some nice players and new coach that is a great X's and O's guy. Maybe he may be better at utilizing what Hokies have on offense the previous staff, who knows have to wait and see. I don't think the UVA guy pulls for Vt just think he likes to banter back and forth about cfb. Who do you pull for? Duke? When Cutcliffe retires you guys go back to irrelevant in fb.

Sorry bud but I don't pull for VT....I call it as I see it. I respect what VT has accomplished, I give Bud more credit for VT's success than anyone they have had on the staff. As much credit as Frank has gotten over the years, his best decision was bringing on Bud.

Sorry bud but I don't pull for VT....I call it as I see it. I respect what VT has accomplished, I give Bud more credit for VT's success than anyone they have had on the staff. As much credit as Frank has gotten over the years, his best decision was bringing on Bud.
Exactly who do you think taught and trained Bud to be the coach he is????????????????? Don't believe me, just ask Bud himself.

I use a perspective of logic and facts, unlike you it appears. According to Phil Steele 2015 Vols had 24th ranked strength of schedule(sos), bleacher report ranked it at #7, and teamranking.com had it 12th. So....don't really know where your going with that. I know they own Kentuck in fb and it obviously has affected your ability to view things objectively but I like the match up. I think it will show us where we are in terms of competing for ACC or how far we have to go.

WTH good is SOS when you have ONE win and FOUR losses against the quality opponents that built that SOS? Outstanding...they "played" Oklahoma, Florida, Arkansas, UGA and Bama...and lost to every damn one of them not named UGA. How is that suppose to impress? The Vols might be worldbeaters this season but thus far they still have alot to prove and they will have to prove it by beating quality teams not just scheduling them.

I think you all are going to be really surprised at the talent Tenn is gonna put on the field. This is the most athletic, deepest team we've had since 2001. The only position is the WR's that are a possible question mark and early reviews from camp are they have greatly improved with Preston Williams being healthy now. Him and Josh Malone are our 2 5* guys and in the slot is Josh Smith. Smith is our most reliable receiver. Good luck guys.

WTH good is SOS when you have ONE win and FOUR losses against the quality opponents that built that SOS? Outstanding...they "played" Oklahoma, Florida, Arkansas, UGA and Bama...and lost to every damn one of them not named UGA. How is that suppose to impress? The Vols might be worldbeaters this season but thus far they still have alot to prove and they will have to prove it by beating quality teams not just scheduling them.

OK so now your logic is that they did have good SOS but didn't win them all? I'm sorry but you don't make any sense. Out of the games you mentioned they were probably only picked to win the Arkansas game if that. If that's how you judge a season what do you have to say about our last few seasons? You have to schedule quality teams to have the opportunity to beat them. Vols weren't even ranked preseason last year but because they didn't beat Bama and Sooners(half the playoffs led both in 4th lost be less than a td), they proved nothing? They beat a 9 win Georgia team and killed a overrated lil 10 team who many picked to beat. Why do you seem so butthurt about this matchup?

Reactions: RockyTopRowdy58

BTW your the one who said they didn't have SOS first. Then you change to well what good is it if you don't win them? I am sorry but your reasoning isn't very sound and as I proved isn't supported in fact. Is it our fault that Wake Forest or UVa is never any good? I think being owned by Tenn in cfb for the last 50 years may have affected your abilities to judge anything about them objectively. I like playing them because of their tradition and history. If you like cfb then this should be a fun game.

Nobody is questioning the talent at UT, Butch has brought in top10 recruiting classes since hes been there and now that talent will have experience to boot. UT has a good offense, defense and kick return threat and SHOULD win the SEC East. With Bama and Florida in Kville, the Vols could even go undefeated. Respect.
My whole point is this, UT has been a shell of itself since Fulmer left. Rocky Top? More like rock bottom. Despite the fanbase rush to return to greatness, the Vols still have to win games to prove they are back and Im not convinced that last season did that.

Nobody is questioning the talent at UT, Butch has brought in top10 recruiting classes since hes been there and now that talent will have experience to boot. UT has a good offense, defense and kick return threat and SHOULD win the SEC East. With Bama and Florida in Kville, the Vols could even go undefeated. Respect.
My whole point is this, UT has been a shell of itself since Fulmer left. Rocky Top? More like rock bottom. Despite the fanbase rush to return to greatness, the Vols still have to win games to prove they are back and Im not convinced that last season did that.

Good post. Tenn hasn't been good since Fulmer left. Last season they looked more like their old self but to be back in the conversation BJones will have to win those big games I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Wasn't trying to be disrespectful. Its just that I watched their big games last year and I think they have a good fb team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT