ADVERTISEMENT

Why don't we ever go the JUCO route in recruiting

DennisBane

Signee
Gold Member
May 5, 2011
A quick glance at the 2014 JUCO top 100 showed that the SCC pulled 29 recruits from the JUCO ranks. This year they already have 13, and many remain uncommitted at this point. Most college teams have year after year needs, based on injuries and personal development of players. It would look like we would at least explore this route as needs come along. Louisville, Miami, Clemson, Florida State in the ACC all use it regularly. Just food for thought. I don't know if I would prefer it over recruiting high school seniors, just it could be a valuable supplemental tool to help the program get back. (It helped Auburn tremendously after their horrible year get back to the National Championship).

I suspect academics play a big role in why schools like VT and UVA don't go the JUCO route......the schools you listed and the SEC aren't exactly top academic institutions.

I always GUESSED it was because we had such a good relationship with prep schools in VA that the staff didnt want to "gamble" on too many academic risks at once by going after JUCO players too. Not a big fan of team building from JUCOs.

Not a fan of JUCO or the one and done route for building a program.....NCAA needs to stop the one and done, need a rule like baseball. Once a kid goes the college route should be a minimum of 3 years.

I agree.

The one and done should be eliminated immediately. Coaches who recruit that route are sleeze bags, and have no ethics nor academic standards.

a-response-from-coach-cal-15786-1332885709-120.jpg

Changing the one and done isnt going to change parity in college basketball among the elite and upper elite programs. What, you think If kids had to stay 3 years at college they wouldnt want to go to Kentucky? Kansas? Duke? UNC? The rich would only get richer as the perenial powerhouse programs (granted they have a decent coach) will still continue to get the best available talent wether it be 5stars or 4stars. Look at how stacked UK is right now with only 1 class holdover, imagine If they still had Norlens Noel and Julius Randle instead of the few 4star role players. What if Cousins, Wall, Teague, Knight and Anthony Davis had to stay 3 years? Some of those elite players might have struggled in the classroom but others did just fine and were set to graduate a year early.No matter the scenerio, the elites will always get their first pick of whats available. All your going to do is ruin a bunch of kids lives by thrusting them into the NBA even earlier than the "one and dones" far before they are physically ready and dummy down the quality of college basketball outside of the top 20 programs.

And a Bama/Saban fan should NEVER criticize another program for its recruiting practices.

UK is nothing more than an NBA farm system.....you probably like that, I think that's what's wrong with college basketball. Do any of these one and done hired guns even know where the classrooms are at UK? Your point about them getting stronger if they stayed 3-4 years would be a good one but we know most of these kids couldn't make it academically that long. Let these boys go pro out of high school or stay at least 3 years. UK is a great team but that doesn't make the current system the best it could be....I look at a young man like Malcom Brogden at UVA, he turned down a scholarship from Harvard to attend UVA, how many current Kentucky players had that chance.....let me answer for you, none. College sports is supposed to be about the scholar athlete, unfortunately it has become more about the dollar and less about the student athletes. We already have the NBA for the pros, why not let college be about the student athletes.

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
UK is nothing more than an NBA farm system.....you probably like that, I think that's what's wrong with college basketball. Do any of these one and done hired guns even know where the classrooms are at UK? Your point about them getting stronger if they stayed 3-4 years would be a good one but we know most of these kids couldn't make it academically that long. Let these boys go pro out of high school or stay at least 3 years. UK is a great team but that doesn't make the current system the best it could be....I look at a young man like Malcom Brogden at UVA, he turned down a scholarship from Harvard to attend UVA, how many current Kentucky players had that chance.....let me answer for you, none. College sports is supposed to be about the scholar athlete, unfortunately it has become more about the dollar and less about the student athletes. We already have the NBA for the pros, why not let college be about the student athletes.
Props to Ky for doing it right. And by doing it right, I mean by working the system to their advantage. They are simply playing by the rules. The one and done horseshit is on the NCAA, not Kentucky.

I'm scratching my head as to how Brogden turning down Harvard to go to UVA should be some kind of example UK should be concerned about.

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
UK is AAA . The forerunner of things to come in D1 BB. Same for FB imo. Stick around for a few more years and see.

Smitty I agree, I'm not blaming Kentucky for using the system....my problem is with the one and done rule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT