ADVERTISEMENT

Will UVA become the dirtiest team in college football?

VTHokie1001K

All-American
May 22, 2006
Under Bronco Mendenhall, BYU has often been referred to as the dirtiest team in football. Don't believe me? Google "Dirtiest football teams ncaa" and 4 of the first 5 articles are about BYU. Also it should be pointed out that Broncos teams are often among the most heavily penalized teams in the country.

Now, I know UVA has had a reputation of being soft....but I'm not so sure I'd want my team to swing all the way over the other side of the bench.

Now, I'm sure we will have our local UVA fans bring up Marcus Vick and a few other players we've had on our team who most would consider "dirty"....but all teams have had a few players like that. At the end of the day neither VT nor UVA have ever been considered "dirty" teams though.

Example. http://gojoebruin.com/2015/09/15/byu-the-dirtiest-team-in-college-football/

Question is where do u draw the line..is all I'm saying...it's only so much a coach can do..

When your team ranks amongst the most heavily penalized teams in the country year in and year out and is getting in brawls, sucker punching players, trying to injury players ankles after the play etc etc then that tells me that either the coach is encouraging that kind of play or he's not doing enough to hinder it.

Everyone saw the play where that BYU player lined up and punched the Boise player in the balls....kid faced zero punishment, didn't even miss a down.

How many penalty yards did they rack up against you guys last year? 133???

I do hold coaches accountable but let's take the dadi nichols episode for instance was that beamers fault he smacked the refs arm...and you can try and say it was incadental all you want...it was obvious. .I give all the credit in the world to beamer for suspending him..and I don't think beamer was at fault..but sometimes things happen that's beyond the coaches control ..at the moment..

Reactions: VTHokie1001K
What Dadi did was wrong, I'm glad Beamer made him sit when he did....but that was an isolated case. BYU's dirty play under Bronco is not an isolated case, it's the norm. Bronco has said he wants his teams to play on the edge of the rules, if it's within the rules I have no problem with that.....but when you're getting penalized 10-12 times a game, some of which are personal fouls with obvious attempts to injure other players that to me is playing beyond the rules of the game and that is a direct reflection of his coaching style.

I'll be interested in seeing if he brings that same mentality to the UVA program. We will find out soon enough!

Last edited:
I hope and pray not..I like aggressive play.but when the whistle blows play needs to stop..I don't think it will be tolerated..but again we both have new coaches..so only time will tell

I hope Bronco brings that attitude to UVA, I for one am tired of watching UVA play soft. Doesn't bother me one bit to be on the edge of dirty. Plus with all these non qualifying JUCO kids Fuentes is going after we will need to play with attitude since our standards seem to be a little higher.

I hope Bronco brings that attitude to UVA, I for one am tired of watching UVA play soft. Doesn't bother me one bit to be on the edge of dirty. Plus with all these non qualifying JUCO kids Fuentes is going after we will need to play with attitude since our standards seem to be a little higher.

Wrong on two accounts here Hoo.

1. His teams don't play on the edge they play dirty. The stats, videos and countless articles on how BYU is the dirtiest program in sports will attest to that.
2. These JUCO players were not non-qualifiers. As I mentioned before, Jerod Evans attended the Air Force academy after HS before a knee injury his freshman year. Just because a kid went to a JUCO doesn't mean he didn't have the grades coming out of school. Hell, the kid had much better grades than Morgan Moses who evidently could barely spell his own name.

Wrong on two accounts here Hoo.

1. His teams don't play on the edge they play dirty. The stats, videos and countless articles on how BYU is the dirtiest program in sports will attest to that.
2. These JUCO players were not non-qualifiers. As I mentioned before, Jerod Evans attended the Air Force academy after HS before a knee injury his freshman year. Just because a kid went to a JUCO doesn't mean he didn't have the grades coming out of school. Hell, the kid had much better grades than Morgan Moses who evidently could barely spell his own name.
I'm looking forward to Bronco toughening up the Hoos, if they play with a attitude then God Bless them.....

So I did a little research..it appears byu was 84th in the country for penalties..6.8 per game va tech 104 with 7.3 per game and va 119 with 7.9..

So doing some research. .it appears byu .is 84th in the country in penalties per game at 6.9 per game va tech is 104th with 7.3 per game and va is 119th with 7.9..so if what u are implying is correct byu would be the least dirtiest among us three..

So doing some research. .it appears byu .is 84th in the country in penalties per game at 6.9 per game va tech is 104th with 7.3 per game and va is 119th with 7.9..so if what u are implying is correct byu would be the least dirtiest among us three..

I didn't say every year. Now....if you look at the breakdown in penalties, the majority of VT's penalties were things such as false starts, illegal subs, offsides and holding etc...not necessarily "dirty" plays. BYU has/had a reputation for unsportsmanlike and personal foul penalties. Look, as I mentioned before, there are a ton of articles on BYU's play of late, this isn't my personal opinion, it's documented and out there for the public to read.

You're correct in 2015.
2014 BYU = 125th
2013 BYU =114th
2012 BYU = 67th

I didn't say every year. Now....if you look at the breakdown in penalties, the majority of VT's penalties were things such as false starts, illegal subs, offsides and holding etc...not necessarily "dirty" plays. BYU has/had a reputation for unsportsmanlike and personal foul penalties. Look, as I mentioned before, there are a ton of articles on BYU's play of late, this isn't my personal opinion, it's documented and out there for the public to read.

You're correct in 2015.
2014 BYU = 125th
2013 BYU =114th
2012 BYU = 67th
Can't believe you would say those Mormon boys play dirty....LOL. I can't wait to have a different attitude on the field in Charlottesville. I've been saying for years UVA has played to soft, time to have a coach that will make them man up. As long as we aren't stomping on throats or slapping officials arms I can live with some personal foul penalties.

Can't believe you would say those Mormon boys play dirty....LOL. I can't wait to have a different attitude on the field in Charlottesville. I've been saying for years UVA has played to soft, time to have a coach that will make them man up. As long as we aren't stomping on throats or slapping officials arms I can live with some personal foul penalties.

Who stomped on a throat?

I agree though, I hope you guys do pick up where Bronco left off at BYU, it will be very interesting seeing how your fanbase reacts to that. I'm looking forward to all the excuses lol

And to be fair....they are mormons....not the brightest bunch are they? Is it really that much of a stretch they wouldn't be smart enough to understand the rules of football? I'm sure all the smartypants at UVA will be able to figure out how to read between the lines.

Can't wait for the Utah/BYU bowl game though.

Like I said, it's not ME who came up with the whole "BYU is dirty" scenario...they just are.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/17/10398426/byu-utah-las-vegas-bowl-dirty-team

Fauonuku is referring to the Cougars' knack for being caught on camera doing things like punching opponents in the delicates and last year's bowl brawl with Memphisand track record of large penalty counts. (I'm not calling BYU dirty. All football teams are by definition dirty. The amount of dirt piled atop the required level can be difficult to gauge. But no one in Provo can deny this team has been proficient at raising unique awareness of its dirt.)

Wow, just impressive to see you boys so worried about Bronco....from know on please refer to us as the "Dirty Hoos"...LMAO.

Reactions: Salemite
Well dirty hoos would be a step up for you guys. Would bring some excitement. I think you got a good hire you. You need an aggressive coach with attitude to instill that in your players. I for one am excited for the changes and look forward to not penciling in the UVA game as a win before the game is played.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Well dirty hoos would be a step up for you guys. Would bring some excitement. I think you got a good hire you. You need an aggressive coach with attitude to instill that in your players. I for one am excited for the changes and look forward to not penciling in the UVA game as a win before the game is played.
Well said swmrappell....that's exactly how I feel. UVA has not played with a real attitude in many years, I look forward to Bronco bringing that to his players.

Our penalties were for false starts and delay of game.

We are the first team I have ever seen take the opening kickoff and call a timeout before running a single play.

I am thinking they will and have been for a couple of weeks. In reality they do not have far to go, they have always been somewhat of a dirty team. Hopefully the refs will maybe carry an extra flag in their pocket. Most players can be considered dirty for just going to UVA.

I am thinking they will and have been for a couple of weeks. In reality they do not have far to go, they have always been somewhat of a dirty team. Hopefully the refs will maybe carry an extra flag in their pocket. Most players can be considered dirty for just going to UVA.
LOL.....has to be one of your stupidest post ever, and there have been plenty.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Smitty we also have one holding call against Teller reserved for each game. Honestly you guys are all crazy. Watching the last couple of games against UVA I really got nervous because we were so evenly matched. I was waiting with baited breath for London to make his game winning decision that insured us of another win. Guy always comes through

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Smitty we also have one holding call against Teller reserved for each game. Honestly you guys are all crazy. Watching the last couple of games against UVA I really got nervous because we were so evenly matched. I was waiting with baited breath for London to make his game winning decision that insured us of another win. Guy always comes through
I agree both teams very evenly matched, the difference was coaching.

Wow, just impressive to see you boys so worried about Bronco....from know on please refer to us as the "Dirty Hoos"...LMAO.
Hate to burst your Rugby Road bubble, but that's definitely not what's going' on here.
:cool:

Haha I remember similar posts from Hoo fans after they hired Coach London and he started to snag recruits from the 757.
It's no different than VT fans being excited about Daisy Fuentes.....at least Bronco is an established D1 coach, remains to be seen if Daisy can really coach in the big time. He's not in the mighty AAC anymore.......just sayin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT