ADVERTISEMENT

Wish List for new head football coach

pahokie77

Signee
Jan 7, 2008
I am starting this thread to monitor who should be the next head football coach at VT. I think it is a little too early for Shane Beamer to leave SC, but perhaps there are other suggestions.

Huff at Marshall. I wasnt big on him until I heard his interviews and looked at his assistants and support staff. This guy is custom made for VT.

Reactions: Windows NT
Is he a good recruiter? We need better talent at VT (particularly in the QB, WR and RB on offense and DE and CB on defense). We need 3* and 4* (or better) at all these positions with depth.

Marshall's recruiting has took an upswing this year. He recruited Barkley to PSU and Harris to Bama. Hes from Maryland, coached at Maryland, played at Hampton. Coached with good recruiters like Franklin and Saban so yeah, I'm guessing he knows recruiting.
Like I said, I wasnt big on him till I heard his interviews and he recruited my support. He lacks head coaching experience but hes assembled some good assistants and some good support staff that would likely follow him. I dont get that same feeling with Chadwell, Napier and some of the others. Just watch his videos and check out the Marshall coaching staff roster. I think hes gonna be a regional success at the first big program that gives him a shot.

"I wasnt big on him until I heard his interviews and looked at his assistants and support staff. This guy is custom made for VT."... I agree.

Some of the BIG donors I talked to are high on Huff

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
Marshall's recruiting has took an upswing this year. He recruited Barkley to PSU and Harris to Bama. Hes from Maryland, coached at Maryland, played at Hampton. Coached with good recruiters like Franklin and Saban so yeah, I'm guessing he knows recruiting.
Like I said, I wasnt big on him till I heard his interviews and he recruited my support. He lacks head coaching experience but hes assembled some good assistants and some good support staff that would likely follow him. I dont get that same feeling with Chadwell, Napier and some of the others. Just watch his videos and check out the Marshall coaching staff roster. I think hes gonna be a regional success at the first big program that gives him a shot.
He'll come in at more than 1.5 mil less per year than Fu so it's another plus

He should be able to recruit Va and Md well plus hes got a few assistants from FL that should help in that state.
Hes also big on the power running game.
Two things VT fans have been clammering about for years.
I've heard others mention Charley Strong as a DC option. Not sure if that's a possibility but with money saved to spend who knows.

Hopefully, this can happen. Also, we do have some good verbals in the 2022 class that we need to get signed with a coaching change. We need to stop the downhill slide and get back to those 10 win seasons.

Just noticed that 247 had Huff recruiting these Va kids to PSU while there.
Ricky Slade (CD Hylton)
Nane Asieda (North Stafford)
Johnathan Sutherland (Episcopal)
Braylyn Franklin (Battlefield)
I'm guessing he has Virginia connections in recruiting alot of other candidates might not have.

Hearing Freeze, Chadwell, Huff and Napier. I would possibly like for Darryl Tapp to come back as HC but obviously no HC experience.

Napier, Chadwell and Huff all have great upside and I probably wouldnt be upset to have any of them as a head coach. All things being about equal, I'm going with Huff because of his familiarity with the region, culture, high schools and probability of being long term. Huff played at Hampton in an era where VT was still on top. I'm sure he knows what they were like and where they need to be to be back to that level. We pass on this guy and he ends up at UVA, Duke or Maryland we are screwed even worse on local recruits.

I am a little surprised that VT did not wait until after the UVA game. Could lose as much as $10 million in salaries. Seems like 2 weeks would not have mattered if indeed a "handshake" deal was in place. Makes no sense if there is not an announcement within 2 weeks.

Clawson, Freeze, Dykes, Chadwell, Huff, Napier, Leftwich, Healy, Stoops, Pry, Foster, Shane, Ogeron, OBrien, Morehead, Stiney, Mullen, Price, Herman, Fickell...this is crazy. I might as well throw my hat in the ring too. I'm a hell of a coach from my recliner.

I keep hearing how head coaching experience is so important to the AD. I think the right fit is more important. There are alot of head coaches that had success at one place but flopped at the next gig. Miles, RichRod, Herman, Peterson...the list is endless. If I'm not mistaken isn't that what got is in trouble with the Fuente hire?

See the thread I started above on Napier and why it's dangerous. I will summarize the post/thread I started about Napier above. In summary, his resume is almost IDENTICAL to a Fu, Herman, and Brown at WVU before they got hired. The 2 patterns which consist of a short sample size (very few years at the non P5 school) and elite QB's while they were there at the non P5 school, which skewed overall records and results and made them look much better than they were.

I'm going to say this. It's the trend is college football the last 6 or so years to take a look at the non P5's and find the "genius" who is winning, then hire him. The danger has been, the genius hasn't been at the non P5 school long enough to truly evaluate his abilities, and he likely had an elite QB at his school for a portion of his short stint at the school. Brown at WVU/Troy, Herman at Houston/Texas, now fired, and Fu at Memphis/VT, and yes, Napier at Louisiana. All 4 of them nearly identical in pattern and circumstances leading up to the hire at the P5 school.. The pattern is a short sample size (not at the school for very long and striking gold by having an elite QB for a good portion of that short coaching stent which skewed overall records/inflated them, and hiding a true sense of the guys ability to coach.

If you are going to a non P5 school to get a Coach, you absolutely have to ENSURE there is large enough of a sample size for that guy as a Head Coach. 2,3, or 4 years isn't cutting it. It's fools gold. Chadwell at Coastal, he's DIFFERENT. Why? 10 years as a college head coach, and that's nearly one whole decade of sample size which you can truly and easily evaluate his abilities. He's been at 3 different schools at 3 different levels of college football and has won at all 3. I'm just warning you, Napier is playing with fire. It's the exact same situation as Fu, Herman, and Brown at WVU. Now, anyone we get is going to offer some risk and be at least some type of a gamble. We can't be sure how the person will do or not do regardless of who is hired outside of Nick Saban, but we can minimize risk. And Napier is RISKY if you look at his resume and compare to it past non P5 guys who have failed. His resume and patterns are nearly IDENTICAL.

See the thread I started above on Napier and why it's dangerous. I will summarize the post/thread I started about Napier above. In summary, his resume is almost IDENTICAL to a Fu, Herman, and Brown at WVU before they got hired. The 2 patterns which consist of a short sample size (very few years at the non P5 school) and elite QB's while they were there at the non P5 school, which skewed overall records and results and made them look much better than they were...
So Huff will be VT coach?

So Huff will be VT coach?
LOL. Man, talking about playing with fire, lol. A guy who has coached at Marshall for not even a full season and by the way, he's 7-4. Marshall actually returned a bunch from last year and 7-4 is actually an underachievement in my opinion. He's got that record based on what Doc Holliday did for years and brought in pretty good talent for their level of play, and Marshall actually should be around 9-2ish for what they brought back from last year. I think Huff, not even a Head Coach for 1 year, has actually underachieved.

My preference or choice as a fan...

1. Chadwell, 2. Leftwich, 3. Grimes, 4. Freeman-Notre Dame, 5. O'Brian

A. Freeze, horrible record at Mississippi and only in 3rd year at Liberty, won the lottery with a future NFL QB that is vastly skewing his overall record at Liberty favorably.

B. Napier- only 4 years at UL, had a QB started for 3 years that is projected as high as the 4th round in some mock drafts It's fools gold and a resume similar to Fu, Brown at WVU, and Herman who all were at the non p5's a short amount of time, and won the lottery with elite type QB's which gave them a good record.

C. Huff- not even a year at Marshall and not even 1 year as a Head Coach and he's 7-4 at Marshall, a team that returned most of its starters and should be 9-2.

D. Clawson- 139-126 as a Head Coach for 22 years and 49-47 at Wake Forest. Guys, there is nothing special there. There's nothing jumping off the table and grabbing you other than the 9-2 record this year in a very, very weak ACC conference.

But...Huff has a Freshman QB that has thrown for over 3,000 yrds and a Freshman RB that has rushed for over 1000 yrds. Obviously he can develope players as neither of these players were elite recruits. Their leading WR is a Sophmore so while Marshall might have had alot returning not all are seeing significant minutes.
The only problem I have with Chadwell is his knowledge of the recruiting footprint and his choice of assistants and support staff. I'm not sure who he could get worthy of coming to VT. For some reason I think alot his staff stay put.
I feel the same about Napier. How he got to the top of the wish list is a mystery to me. I've watched his offense all year and its Fu with a decent QB against lesser competition. I'm not sold on his recruiting either.

On Chadwell, then DC and him are attached at the hip. Also, the special teams coach which is one of the better ones in the country. The rest would stay in my opinion. After all, it is Myrtle Beach.

1. Chadwell, 2. Leftwich, 3. Grimes, 4. Freeman-Notre Dame,

1. Chadwell, 2. Leftwich, 3. Grimes, 4. Freeman-Notre Dame, 5. O'Brian
How can you criticize Huff for only one year HC experience then want this list?

Leftwich has only 3 yrs coaching experience and none at the collegiate level.
Grimes has never been a HC and only coached 1yr in the East.
Freeman has only been a coordinator 4yrs and never a HC.
OBrien is just a bad fit

The next VT coach better be a ace recruiter and he better win back the DMV and he better be able to do it quickly.

On Chadwell, then DC and him are attached at the hip. Also, the special teams coach which is one of the better ones in the country. The rest would stay in my opinion. After all, it is Myrtle Beach.
Would you be cool with Huff if he made this happen?
Huff HC
Morehead OC
Strong DC

How can you criticize Huff for only one year HC experience then want this list?

Leftwich has only 3 yrs coaching experience and none at the collegiate level.
Grimes has never been a HC and only coached 1yr in the East.
Freeman has only been a coordinator 4yrs and never a HC.
OBrien is just a bad fit

The next VT coach better be a ace recruiter and he better win back the DMV and he better be able to do it quickly.
Because.........Huff only has 1 year of HC experience. Freeman is an elite recruiter and coordinators at the FBS P5 level are equal to HCs at the non P5 level with little experience as a Head Coach. At the end of the day, Huff is 7-4 at Marshall with only 11 games as a HC. The resumes of Grimes with success at 4 different schools, Freeman recruiting, Obriens resume, and Leftwich is far superior to Huffs.

Huff is still my dude. I wouldnt mind Chadwell. Other hires I just dont think will work and a few hires would actually make me give up on Hokie football for good.

Looks like we can strike Napier off the wish list. Also Freeze signed a new contract, so strike him off the list as well.

Huff isn't an x's and o's guy. You can recruit all you want, but if your on field coaching is mediocre, you aren't getting anywhere. Marshall is 7 and 5, and that's their worst record in 5 years. Anyone can recruit at Alabama, so take that one off the table. There's no indication Huff could recruit at VT any better than all of the other names listed.

Huff isn't an x's and o's guy. You can recruit all you want, but if your on field coaching is mediocre, you aren't getting anywhere. Marshall is 7 and 5, and that's their worst record in 5 years. Anyone can recruit at Alabama, so take that one off the table. There's no indication Huff could recruit at VT any better than all of the other names listed.
X and O are for the coordinators. Huff will be in charge of the coordinators... sort of like a CEO of a company

And you can coach your ass off too but if your team lacks athleticism and cant execute, your going to fail just as bad.

7-5 with a first year HC and a starting Fr QB and RB. Up until the WKU game the losses were by single digits and they wouldnt have lost to WKU had the QB not got hurt. Too early to tell one way or the other.

I dont think Huffs recruiting resume needs defending. He recruited under Franklin at PSU. Franklin knows how to recruit and did well at Vanderbilt. It's common sense that relationships and connections are going to matter. He grew up there, played there and has recruited the DMV ever since.

Pry is confirmed. The guy has had top 25 defenses for the last 8 years. That fits the VT mold. Can we get a OHC to match that? If so, I think we can compete for the Coastal Crown very soon. Welcome Coach Pry to Hokie Nation.

We can start a new Wish List for OHC.

Here's my take, my opinion only on Pry. I'm excited and I agree, the only question mark or box left unchecked is who is running the offense.

I'm happy with the hire. Guys, the good ole TYPICAL and CONVENTIONAL thinking of "lets go get the hot genius who is currently winning at the non-P5 school" HAS NOT worked. It just hasn't worked. I'm glad went the other route. Get a PROVEN O or D coordinator at a top 25 power 5 program, and yes, Penn State over the past 10 years, is still a top 25 program whether Hokie fans want to admit it or not.

4 KEY AREAS to COACHING
1. Organizational Leadership
which entails Communication/Dealing with Alums/AD/Program Management/MEDIA. Foster mentored him and with Franklin at Penn State and Foster having a regular sound byte in his ear, and him having regular contact with these two, I think this box is checked.
2. Recruiting- he's recruited the he** out of Virginia. I think this is also a win. Penn State's staff has long relationships with Virginia High School Coaches, so box checked here in my opinion.
3. Defense- Pry's numbers on Defense speak clearly. They are proven. He's legit. Box checked. He also learned some under Foster and was mentored by Bud Foster over the years (long after leaving VT as a graduate assistant). Bud has a regular 1 on 1 conversation with him, so defensively, I'm not worried.
4. Offense -The only question is offense. This is the only box that is unchecked in my opinion. Pry's offensive guy, whoever that is, is critical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT