ADVERTISEMENT

Worst punt returner in school history

I think yoiu could return punts on Tulsa. And throw tds, and run tds, hell you could probably throw tds to yourself.

Until this Game, he has been a huge failure as punt returner-Oh Duh!

After 12 games, guess he figured out the goal of returning punts - don't run backwards!

I don't think Stroman is worst in history, but I do think this is the worst VT defense I've seen in the past 25 years. And yes, I realize lucus will post a bunch of totally irrelevant stats and say it proves otherwise, but the simple layman's observation says that this defense absolutely stinks to high heaven. It didn't pass the eye test at any point this year (especially in the secondary, the comically bad bear scheme and the defensive play calling).

We would have won this game by a wide margin except our O reverted back to themselves after the first drive of the second half. I have no idea where they came from in the first 37+ minutes but it was welcome.

I am not sure I can cosign Stroman being the worst in history... but he has been particularly frustrating this year with way too many negative plays.

I also cannot get behind the idea that the O "reverted" to form in the second half... it was more like Tulsa made some necessary adjustments and prevented the simple plays from turning into explosive bursts. It's not like the plays that Tech ran in the first half were a significant departure from the norm, or some novelty approach we hadn't tried before. Tulsa failed to execute defensively in the first half. They turned that around in the second half. Given enough time on the field, the Tech offense can usually find a way to get bogged down... and that's exactly what happened after halftime.

Defense gave the WR's too much cushion and allowed #1 to get open too many times.
DBU looked pretty bad. Where was the pass rush VT got on Tulsa's last series, the rest of the game?

Stroman is a very good athlete, can be an explosive player, but for almost all of the season, he was a DUD at returning punts. Knowing how good he can be made it very frustrating to watch him catch and retreat, over and over. I'm hoping the 'light' that turned on for him last night stays on-he can be a playmaker.

With a 21 pt lead and the way our rb's were getting yardage, keep the ball on the ground and eat up the clock. Bye Bye Mr Loefler!!!!!!!

I didn't understand the play calling.....when VT ran up the middle God thins happened but they kept trying to go wide. I just didn't understand what Scott was calling.....and you guys have to be pleased that Brewer is done, I'm sorry but he was not a good QB. I know everyone says he is tough but he made to many bad throws.

I actually like Stroman.
No fair catches and almost no fumbles.
Took big hits in the process...
I think blocking on the punt returns was awful leading to situations he'd make worse with his negative yardage decisions.

I also like Brewer, but he was really aggravating. He has at least two throws a game that are right to the other team... it's like he's color blind with the uniforms.

Brewer was not sacked in the second half. He threw a number of errant passes. The one pass that was intercepted was caused by the #2 WR running the wrong route. Play calling contained a number of lateral runs and to my knowlege none of them worked. How many of those did you see in the first half? If what you did worked and it no longer works change it to somthing that does work. We ran up a good lead and I think we sat on it.

Brewer was not sacked in the second half. He threw a number of errant passes. The one pass that was intercepted was caused by the #2 WR running the wrong route. Play calling contained a number of lateral runs and to my knowlege none of them worked. How many of those did you see in the first half? If what you did worked and it no longer works change it to somthing that does work. We ran up a good lead and I think we sat on it.
I agree, we "sat" on the lead as usual and looked for our defense to hold. The play calling in the second half was different from the first half and some of it confusing. One that comes to mind is the wildcat with Bucky, I believe it was second down. It was the second time they ran it and it fooled no one. The same behavior we've had for a long time. A fitting way to go out.

I didn't understand the play calling.....when VT ran up the middle God thins happened but they kept trying to go wide. I just didn't understand what Scott was calling.....and you guys have to be pleased that Brewer is done, I'm sorry but he was not a good QB. I know everyone says he is tough but he made to many bad throws.
I'll take COACH Beamer's evaluation of Brewer's ability over your opinion. Without Brewer we would have had a losing season.

I'll take COACH Beamer's evaluation of Brewer's ability over your opinion. Without Brewer we would have had a losing season.
I think with Brewer all season, we have a much better record, but, man, did he get pounded. Sometimes he tried to make too much happen, but that's because he felt like he had to do something. We had that running back by committee for a long time before we settled on McMillian. That hurt also. Obviously, Motley wasn't the answer.

Right...because Beamer has a long, proven history of being able to evaluate offensive talent. Or offensive coaching, either, for that matter.

Trusting Beamer's evaluations is why we're nothing but a .500 program these days. But cheer up...next year you'll get the pleasure of seeing what a real coach can do with a QB.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Right...because Beamer has a long, proven history of being able to evaluate offensive talent. Or offensive coaching, either, for that matter.

Trusting Beamer's evaluations is why we're nothing but a .500 program these days. But cheer up...next year you'll get the pleasure of seeing what a real coach can do with a QB.
Nothing wrong with Beamer's evaluations. He couldn't get commits on any of the top targets he evaluated. That was the problem.

false

A "real" coach huh? I sincerely hope coach Fuente can win 280 games. In the meantime you should consider refraining from making such ignorant statements.

For some reason Coach Beamer got too conservative in recent years. We should have went to a spread no huddle fast paced offense several years ago, instead of running a high school offense.

For some reason Coach Beamer got too conservative in recent years. We should have went to a spread no huddle fast paced offense several years ago, instead of running a high school offense.
We tried. No huddle, everyone sprinted to the line, and Brewer stared at the sideline for 20 seconds getting the play call.

We are still the only team I have ever seen field the opening kickoff and have to burn a timeout before running a single play.

You can run a high school offense but you need the talent. Alabama and Michigan State run similar offensive sets and it seams to work for them. We couldn't get enough good athletes at any position to consistently run the ball. We have had no depth on either side of the ball. Therefore, our records over the past few years are a reflection of what happens when a thin team is decimated with injuries. The last thing I want to see is a "Don Stock" offense paired with a "Charlie Coffee" defense. Research the Memphis- Temple games the last two years. Spread offenses don't always score big. In our bowl game Tulsa had 0 turnovers and we had 2. That bowl game should have been a 25 point win, even with our high school offense. We had another problem though - our high school defense.

A "real" coach huh? I sincerely hope coach Fuente can win 280 games. In the meantime you should consider refraining from making such ignorant statements.
You'll have your definition of ignorance and I'll have mine. To me, ignorance is blindly placing your friends above the greater good of the program for 15 years while you watch the program crumble around you.

I understand that incompetence and failure may be completely acceptable in your mind as long as you won some games in some other decade, but I, for one, am thrilled for this school that we've moved on beyond the current self-gratification regime.

5-10 yrs ago, a 21pt lead in the 4th quarter would have been hard to come back from for most teams. Stiffen up the defense, control the clock and grind out the win. Nowdays, its nothing to score 21pts very quickly. Tulsa had 20 TD drives on the season that took under a minute and they did it with limited talent and depth. Thats why we struggle to win these days, our talent pool minus a Vick or Taylor is much as its always been, look at how our opponents have changed on offense. Gone are the days of smashmouth sit on a lead football.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
I recall the time if VT had a 10 point lead in 4th quarter, game was over. There were some years that if VT had a 3 point lead in 4th qtr, game was over.

You'll have your definition of ignorance and I'll have mine. To me, ignorance is blindly placing your friends above the greater good of the program for 15 years while you watch the program crumble around you.

I understand that incompetence and failure may be completely acceptable in your mind as long as you won some games in some other decade, but I, for one, am thrilled for this school that we've moved on beyond the current self-gratification regime.
I'm thrilled too that we got a coach that I think will continue to keep our 23 year winning streak alive and will do it the "right" way. My definition of ignorance comes from the dictionary; state of being unaware - one who deliberately ignores information and facts. Here's some facts you've obviously ignored: when Beamer retired he had more wins than any active coach; he guided VT to 23 straight bowl wins; from 2000 - 2011 the record was 121-38 (that's this decade); down cycle the past 4 years with a record of 29-23; total record for this decade (not counting the 1999-2000 championship game year) 150-61. Your comment on getting a real coach, therefore, is based on ignorance - ignoring the facts. You're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is. We've had a few down years. Go research the past 15 years with any of the "blue blood" programs. Most schools are envious of our achievements. I don't know where you got your definition of ignorance, but when you say the coaches are incompetent failures and the program is crumbling because Beamer has placed his friends above the greater good of the program, that is not the definition.
By definition, that is an ignorant statement.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Defense against spread teams takes not just diferent athletes it takes depth. If you go into games with out good playable depth at most positions on d then they will get winded and the Opponents will start scoring at will. Nothing ne here but let's face it, we lack depth in some areas bigtime.

Defense against spread teams takes not just diferent athletes it takes depth. If you go into games with out good playable depth at most positions on d then they will get winded and the Opponents will start scoring at will. Nothing ne here but let's face it, we lack depth in some areas bigtime.
You're absolutely right. When spread offenses face deep talented defenses look what happens. Texas Tech scored 27 on LSU and Memphis put a whopping 10 on Auburn.

You're absolutely right. When spread offenses face deep talented defenses look what happens. Texas Tech scored 27 on LSU and Memphis put a whopping 10 on Auburn.
Actually the Memphis offense put up 3....the defense put up 7.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT