ADVERTISEMENT

Wow a Hoo meltdown in BB

They remind me of a bad high school team. They focus too much on defense. Basketball is an offensive game, more so than a defensive game. But I enjoy seeing Hoos get beat. I hope they do not win again this season.

In a complete meltdown for sure. No confidence at all on the offensive side.....just ugly.

I don't think many people in November predicted that at this stage of the season, VT would have a better overall record than UVa does.

What a nutty year so far.

ESPN says that UVa's 144 points scored over the past 3 games is their lowest 3 game output since 1951.

I don't think many people in November predicted that at this stage of the season, VT would have a better overall record than UVa does.

What a nutty year so far.
Credit VT for having a really good year....the next 4 games are all winnable as well.

I admire good D but what good is it when you don't score? What good offensive player in high school wants to go and play hard D knowing that he's got to use clock on every offensive possession in that slow pace?

This was coming for the Wahoos. I think there are two problems with the style of Virginia's play. It gets them a lot of wins for sure and I'm not saying they are a bad team,not at all, but over the course of a season, playing the pack line the right way can be exhausting. Also, part of UVa's defense is their offense with the patient style, but it yields a lot of close games which leads to very critical shots when the second half winds down. If your shooters are not hitting, the pressure mounts on yourself as well as the other team.

About two weeks ago, they peaked.Everyone was hitting and the D was locked down.
Then came several tough games and their shots just stopped falling. Maybe it's the fatigue, maybe it's like a baseball team when they get in a slump. Hoo knows. I know Perrantes is carrying a huge load and it's showing. When those younger players don't hit, it's on him to make the play. And some of the younger players are taking hard, quick shots early in the shot clock. Virginia's inside O is not what it was last year either when it was really good.

The same thing can happen to us, but I'm amazed how the loss of Clark has opened up the floor on O. Now there are five shooters on the floor that are a threat from the three line and the team is really swinging the ball around and finding an open man. VT looks like a real threat to go to the Dance.

The way to attack UVA is to get the ball inside right away and work "inside out". The pack line draws defenders inside and the open men are outside when the ball goes in.
Kick it out and swing it around, there will be people open,also,draw fouls. On D, pressure to shorten the possession clock and cover the threes. We could meet them in the ACC tourney, if we do, we better be on our best game, we best them with luck at home.

UVA is playing lost, scared, and confused. They are lacking talent this year, but the more they slow it down, the worse they play. Bennett just needs to let them play basketball.

London is struggling and providing no leadership. Strange that he would play 40 minutes against Miami, when he goes 2 for 15 with no leadership while Jerome only played 11 minutes and Guy 2. Their offense is so bad right now, they have to find more playing time for those 2 freshman, who can put the ball in the basket, even if their defense suffers a little as a result.

UVA is playing lost, scared, and confused. They are lacking talent this year, but the more they slow it down, the worse they play. Bennett just needs to let them play basketball.

London is struggling and providing no leadership. Strange that he would play 40 minutes against Miami, when he goes 2 for 15 with no leadership while Jerome only played 11 minutes and Guy 2. Their offense is so bad right now, they have to find more playing time for those 2 freshman, who can put the ball in the basket, even if their defense suffers a little as a result.

The Hoo's problems began when they were on cruise control against Syracuse last year in the NCAAs with a big lead with 9 minutes to go and couldn't get it re-started when Boeheim made some great adjustments and went to the full court press and came roaring back to win.
The entire squad including Bennett seems to have lost their mojo in the 2nd half of every game they've played with the strange exception of the Louisville games. Against Miami, in the last 5 minutes, they played like the ball was a hot potato which no one one wanted to shoot. Then they missed their free throws.
I like Bennett a lot but he needs to find out who his real players are and put them on the floor when it counts even if they're freshmen.
And how about Seth Allen? Go Hokies!

Reactions: VT4700
UVA is still a good team (just not a top 15 team). They do not have the offensive talent they did last year and it has hurt them in recent games. Remember they beat us easily at their house (when VT had no offense). They were over rated during the early season (barely beat OSU at home in ACC/Big 10. I predict they will finish 10-8 in the ACC and be a 7 seed in the NCAA. I am thinking VT also finishes 10-8 in the ACC and be a 9 seed in the NCAA. UVA will get a couple of very good recruits next year to stay competitive in the ACC and dismissing Nichols this year ending up biting them in the ##$ (although I would have done the same if I were the UVA coach). Good luck to UVA except when they play VT.

Reactions: VT4700
If Guy only played 2 minutes, he must have been in locker room working on his honey bun hair-do, the other 38.

The Hoo's problems began when they were on cruise control against Syracuse last year in the NCAAs with a big lead with 9 minutes to go and couldn't get it re-started when Boeheim made some great adjustments and went to the full court press and came roaring back to win.
The entire squad including Bennett seems to have lost their mojo in the 2nd half of every game they've played with the strange exception of the Louisville games. Against Miami, in the last 5 minutes, they played like the ball was a hot potato which no one one wanted to shoot. Then they missed their free throws.
I like Bennett a lot but he needs to find out who his real players are and put them on the floor when it counts even if they're freshmen.
And how about Seth Allen? Go Hokies!

Good post. And Seth Allen has been huge this year!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT