ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, Fuente brings in JC QB Jerod Evans!

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
With his experience I'm pumped for next year already. I wonder if he watched some film or practice and agreed with Lefty that our guys on the bench aren't ready.

He was recruiting this kid hard to come and play for him at Memphis. No reason for Fuente not to try to bring him to Blacksburg. We have no established starter at QB, might as well bring in a Juco and let him compete.

Great pickup by Fuente, watched some of his highlights - looking real good. Fuente tweeted that day wasn't over yet after getting this commit. I think we're good w qb's, rb's and receivers, what we need are some very good O-linemen!!!

Great pickup by Fuente, watched some of his highlights - looking real good. Fuente tweeted that day wasn't over yet after getting this commit. I think we're good w qb's, rb's and receivers, what we need are some very good O-linemen!!!

Looks like has their second consec Texas QB!

We've been wondering for years what kind of offensive talent would want to come play for the Hokies if we had a legitimate coaching staff...it's not taking long at all to answer that question.

Next question...how much will the defensive recruiting pickup because of the new offensive coaching staff? I'm guessing that will happen as well, although we might not necessarily see it this season.

Should get better recruits on both sides of ball. Any chance we get a good Olineman who may have committed elsewhere or not yet with VT in spotlight & much optimism?

Heard that Lawson has a newborn in FL and could be wanting to relocate, ....

Heard that Lawson has a newborn in FL and could be wanting to relocate, ....
If he can't relocate them here, then he should go be with his family. I bet that's a tough decision for a young man to make.

Well if Lawson might leave, all the better to have Evans coming in.

Cut and past to see his 2014 highlights.

Lawson has said he is not going anywhere. One thing that every elite team has is competition, not someone being handed a job. I love it. Best QB will play. Even if Lawson leaves he will have to sit out a year then be eligible his JR year. He would be better off staying competing and even if he loses be the man his SR year, maybe JR year if he redshirts,or Evans comes in and lights it up and NFL wants him. I said from the beginning that Lawson was not ready, I watched a few practices and he just was not sharp needed a RS year to learn and I hate that it was wasted.by SL

Lawson has said he is not going anywhere. One thing that every elite team has is competition, not someone being handed a job. I love it. Best QB will play. Even if Lawson leaves he will have to sit out a year then be eligible his JR year. He would be better off staying competing and even if he loses be the man his SR year, maybe JR year if he redshirts,or Evans comes in and lights it up and NFL wants him. I said from the beginning that Lawson was not ready, I watched a few practices and he just was not sharp needed a RS year to learn and I hate that it was wasted.by SL

Agree. Lawson has the obvious tools and with Fuente he will look like an all-pro by the time he graduates. Depending on the spring and fall competition, if Lawson comes out as QB2, a redshirt sophomore year would be a good thing for him. It would be tough on new incoming QBs, because it looks like we have the next 4 years of QB already at VT.

That being said, it would be thrilling to watch 2 or 3 top notch QBs battling it out for the starting position. May the best man win.

Agree. Lawson has the obvious tools and with Fuente he will look like an all-pro by the time he graduates. Depending on the spring and fall competition, if Lawson comes out as QB2, a redshirt sophomore year would be a good thing for him. It would be tough on new incoming QBs, because it looks like we have the next 4 years of QB already at VT.

That being said, it would be thrilling to watch 2 or 3 top notch QBs battling it out for the starting position. May the best man win.
All that sounds good but in today's college football not many highly recruited kids are willing to wait and hope to play their SR season. If he loses job to JUCO I don't see him being a back up unless he was over rated coming in. He may very well win the job, but for him to only see the field a few plays this year he must have a ways to go. And now he has to learn a new offense, could be tough for him to come out on top in this competition.

All that sounds good but in today's college football not many highly recruited kids are willing to wait and hope to play their SR season. If he loses job to JUCO I don't see him being a back up unless he was over rated coming in. He may very well win the job, but for him to only see the field a few plays this year he must have a ways to go. And now he has to learn a new offense, could be tough for him to come out on top in this competition.

Most of those kids also realize that RS years are more common than not and that certain positions benefit more from being redshirted than others.

If Evans wins the job and plays for 2 years, then Lawson still has 2 years of eligibility if he redshirts. That's not a bad situation at all, and could make Lawson look like a star by the time he graduates.

Reactions: RB4
Evans is pretty much game ready. He needs to concentrate on the playbook but since it's new so does everyone else. There is always a positive that can be taken from this,this could be SL's game book which if it were, Evans would never see the field with only two years of eligibility remaining.

So as bowl game is over, I will starting counting days to the spring game.

(maybe I can find the old clock that UVA put in locker room a couple years ago)

JMO, but all the signs are that Evans is Fuente's guy for he next 2 seasons. He's been Fuente's priority recruit for Memphis before ever coming to VT. Meanwhile, Lawson didn't develop as much as was hoped he would in his first season and has a long way to go to catch up to Evans. If Lawson stays at VT I see a RS year coming for him, with Motley backing up Evans. Evans wasn't brought in to carry the clipboard for his remaining two years of eligibility. I know Lawson has said he is going to stay, but if he has to sit out anyway this would be his best time to transfer. So it wouldn't be shocking to me if we still see Lawson change his mind.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
JMO, but all the signs are that Evans is Fuente's guy for he next 2 seasons. He's been Fuente's priority recruit for Memphis before ever coming to VT. Meanwhile, Lawson didn't develop as much as was hoped he would in his first season and has a long way to go to catch up to Evans. If Lawson stays at VT I see a RS year coming for him, with Motley backing up Evans. Evans wasn't brought in to carry the clipboard for his remaining two years of eligibility. I know Lawson has said he is going to stay, but if he has to sit out anyway this would be his best time to transfer. So it wouldn't be shocking to me if we still see Lawson change his mind.
That was my point as well....

Last edited:
That was my point as well....
Agreed. To expand, I don't think he's overrated in terms of his raw potential, so he might be anxious to get on the field quicker than 3 years from now, and there's no guarantee Fuente won't bring in a future "can't miss" type QB recruit either. So while I would like Lawson to stay, it almost seems like wishful thinking with everything to be considered in his ultimate decision.

I hope Lawson does stay for the duration. And how about Durkin? I don't hear about him anymore.

Bitter of The Roanoke Times is pumped up about Evans!:

"He’s going in there to win an ACC championship. He’s going in there to win a national championship. He’s been wanting a program all along that would give him those opportunities, to compete for the championships at the highest level and be in the playoff system, be in the Final Four, do those types of things. I’m sure that’s what they hired coach Fuente to come in there and do and that’s what coach Fuente got Jerod Evans to come in there and do."

Last edited:
I hope Lawson does stay for the duration. And how about Durkin? I don't hear about him anymore.

Bitter of The Roanoke Times is pumped up about Evans!:

"He’s going in there to win an ACC championship. He’s going in there to win a national championship. He’s been wanting a program all along that would give him those opportunities, to compete for the championships at the highest level and be in the playoff system, be in the Final Four, do those types of things. I’m sure that’s what they hired coach Fuente to come in there and do and that’s what coach Fuente got Jerod Evans to come in there and do."
It definitely sounds like his JC coach is pumped up about him. About Durkin I think the old staff was going to try him as a TE/H back but he was still QB'ing the scout team. But its all up in the air again now with a new system coming in. We have a pretty good talent in Joshua Jackson too although he'll almost surely redshirt unless there is some attrition.

He looks to have all of the skills. Hes athletic and can run. He throws on the run and looks to be accurate. Anybody know his arm strength?

He looks to have all of the skills. Hes athletic and can run. He throws on the run and looks to be accurate. Anybody know his arm strength?
His JC coach says he has a big arm and it does look strong in some of the throws he makes, particularly on the run and across his body. One of his highlight videos shows him completing a deep throw about 57 yards in the air which is the longest I have seen. I'd post it but its on TSL's subscription side. He looks to be the perfect fit for Fuente's offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT