ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, Mark Richt goes 9-3 and gets booted out of UGA

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
That not as bad as LSU talking about letting Les Miles go with all his wins. Miles is staying though.

Just dropping by to see what was happening at VT when I saw this post. Richt is a great guy,everybody loves him,but he just could not win the big games. Bama, TN etc... He always loss 1-2 games every year to inferior talent. FL this year, GT last year, he has lost to KY, Vandy, South Carolina. It got old. We were picked and should have won the SEC East for the last 3 years, but we choked it away. Word has it that he may become Ass't AD, I hope so. Good luck with Fuentes, I think he will do well at VT.

I know the feeling of losing to inferior teams. VT has made a habit of this the past few seasons. We have lost too many of those 17-13 and 20-17 type games where if we had scored just one more touchdown we'd still be winning 10 games a season, most of the time.

So who does UGA hire?? Who would take a job that they fired the last coach for just winning 9 games??

Bad move on Georgia's part. He is one of probably 5 best coaches in the nation. They will be hard pressed to get anyone better.

Reactions: Otis4411
The problem with UGA is that they fired a good coach but have no one as good or better lined up. It seems as though they're hoping and praying that home boy Kirby Smart will be the answer. The time to fire Richt would have been three or four years ago when Urban Meyer was out of work and then thrown the bank vault at him to get him to coach in Athens.

No matter who new coach is, if he don't win national championship within 3 years, he will get fired.

That not as bad as LSU talking about letting Les Miles go with all his wins. Miles is staying though.
  • 9-3 this year
  • .740 win pct.
  • 2 SEC champs in 15 yrs
  • and if that's enough, fine
    • it wasn't enough for uga
    • nor should it be
difficult move, debatable move, but a smart move nonetheless

• 9-3 this year
  • .740 win pct.
  • 2 SEC champs in 15 yrs
  • and if that's enough, fine
    • it wasn't enough for uga
    • nor should it be
difficult move, debatable move, but a smart move nonetheless

It's only a smart move if the next guy burns it up in Athens. If he doesn't then there could be hell to pay. UGA could end up in a similar situation to Tennessse where they struggle for quite a while.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
It's only a smart move if the next guy burns it up in Athens. If he doesn't then there could be hell to pay. UGA could end up in a similar situation to Tennessse where they struggle for quite a while.
My first thought was what happened at Tennessee as well.

Haha, that's funny...my first thought was UVa canning Welsh.
Best I remember Welsh retired just like Frank....lets see how this works out for VT in a few years. Your new guy couldn't even win the AAC but he's going to dominate the ACC......oh yea.

Best I remember Welsh retired just like Frank....lets see how this works out for VT in a few years. Your new guy couldn't even win the AAC but he's going to dominate the ACC......oh yea.
He might not have won the AAC but he put points on the board and recruited the right players for his O. We already have a great D in place. You French should know.

He might not have won the AAC but he put points on the board and recruited the right players for his O. We already have a great D in place. You French should know.
Never doubted Bud...the decision to keep Bud was a good one. But It's not like he won the AAC so let's see if he can win the ACC.

Your new guy couldn't even win the AAC but he's going to dominate the ACC......oh yea.
He would've won the AAC with Bud running the defense.

Either way, though, I'm not expecting ACC domination. What I really want to see is an offense that walks out onto the field and looks like they have a plan and have received actual coaching at some point in their careers. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach for anything that happens after that.

Never doubted Bud...the decision to keep Bud was a good one. But It's not like he won the AAC so let's see if he can win the ACC.
What does "not winning the AAC" have to do with whether or not he can win the conference here?

Either way, though, I'm not expecting ACC domination. What I really want to see is an offense that walks out onto the field and looks like they have a plan and have received actual coaching at some point in their careers. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach for anything that happens after that.

Not me. I want the same offense with the QB staring at the sideline until they have to call a time out, then staring at the sideline after the timeout and getting the play off with 2 seconds to go on the play clock, with that play being a run up the middle.

Oops, there goes Hoo19 again! Fuente actually did win the AAC in 2014 when Memphis shared the title with UCF and Cincinnati. Not that it has anything to do with whether he can win the ACC. That's another Pinocchio for Hoo19, to go with the one where he claimed that Fuente was 0-4 against Mendenhall, when Fuente actually won the only head to head meeting with Mendenhall.

Oops, there goes Hoo19 again! Fuente actually did win the AAC in 2014 when Memphis shared the title with UCF and Cincinnati. Not that it has anything to do with whether he can win the ACC. That's another Pinocchio for Hoo19, to go with the one where he claimed that Fuente was 0-4 against Mendenhall, when Fuente actually won the only head to head meeting with Mendenhall.
There are about 0 college football fans in the nation (outside of UVA fans) that think Mendlebaum is a better hire than Fuente.

Not me. I want the same offense with the QB staring at the sideline until they have to call a time out, then staring at the sideline after the timeout and getting the play off with 2 seconds to go on the play clock, with that play being a run up the middle.
Gone forever with Laffler. Thank goodness that's coming to an end.

There are about 0 college football fans in the nation (outside of UVA fans) that think Mendlebaum is a better hire than Fuente.
I laughed at this one.....you must live in a cave or maybe you never watch TV or read a paper. Let me correct your post, you meant to say.....no one outside of Blacksburg thinks Fuentes is a better hire than Bronco. Now that's better.

Gone forever with Laffler. Thank goodness that's coming to an end.
Fuente will be fine, Mendenhall will have a little bit more trouble. Tech has a lot of talent at the skill positions on O that will fit in with Fuente. I think UVA will have more to adapt to on O. Smoke will still get a lot of passes thrown his way.

You must be the only Hokie that counts shared titles.....every Hokie has always said UVA has never won the ACC even though we "shared" a title.

I have no doubt he would have won it with Bud.....that's the chance he has in the ACC is the fact he kept Bud.

Fuente will be fine, Mendenhall will have a little bit more trouble. Tech has a lot of talent at the skill positions on O that will fit in with Fuente. I think UVA will have more to adapt to on O. Smoke will still get a lot of passes thrown his way.
Please share....a little bit more trouble with what? Based on the last 2 meetings, VT and UVA are about as even in talent as they have ever been. The difference in wins this year is the fact UVA had a much tougher OC than VT. Swap schedules and Hoos would be in Shreveport and VT would be home.

Please share....a little bit more trouble with what? Based on the last 2 meetings, VT and UVA are about as even in talent as they have ever been. The difference in wins this year is the fact UVA had a much tougher OC than VT. Swap schedules and Hoos would be in Shreveport and VT would be home.
Says you. We're a better team. We won our match up. Nuf said.

Better team....If that makes you feel better go with it. What you had was better coaching and an AD that doesn't stick you with a tough OC schedule.
Ummmm.....Didn't UVA and VT actually play? How exactly did the schedule factor into the outcome?

I laughed at this one.....you must live in a cave or maybe you never watch TV or read a paper. Let me correct your post, you meant to say.....no one outside of Blacksburg thinks Fuentes is a better hire than Bronco. Now that's better.
You ever been to Rivals soundoff board? It's a free national board. Want to run a poll on it and see what non UVA or VT fans think of the hires?

Reactions: Salemite
Welsh retired like Frank, what are you just ignnorant?

You must be the only Hokie that counts shared titles.....every Hokie has always said UVA has never won the ACC even though we "shared" a title.
I know of no Hokies who have ever said any such thing. So you admit that you knew he had shared the title when you made that comment?

You ever been to Rivals soundoff board? It's a free national board. Want to run a poll on it and see what non UVA or VT fans think of the hires?
Run it, no way a coach from Memphis is a better hire than an established coach with more wins than your boy has even coached. Yes Fuentes is the flavor of the month and his name was on a lot of people's list. But no one even knew Bronco was willing to leave BYU and it was the steal of the coaching carousel.

Ummmm.....Didn't UVA and VT actually play? How exactly did the schedule factor into the outcome?
LOL...you managed to beat the worst coach in football by 3 points. The two teams are equal in talent but VT wins because we had London. My point was switch our OCC games and VT is not in a bowl. That's what the schedule has to do with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT