ADVERTISEMENT

Writer on Bleacher Report predicts 10 win season for VT

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
I say no way possible if our much-improved O stays predictable.

I don't care how well our Oline is playing, if we always run on 1st & 2nd down, then throw on 3rd, the D knows when to send more bodies than we can block.

And, except for rare occasions, I didn't see a 3rd down play call, like a screen pass, or a draw play, to counter the rush on 3rd.

The only game I can recall when we were predictable and won, was the OSU game last year we pulled out on all those 3rd and longs with super plays.

Just saying.

Reactions: lucustookis
It's not an absurd prediction based on our schedule. That is one shitty schedule after game one.

I agree with VT's schedule anything less than 10 should be a disappointment.

I share BigDaddy's opinion on our predictable O calls. I feel it puts an unfair burden on the team to be this predictable and it (imo) cost us some games last year. At OSU Brewer was unreal on the third down plays.
We will win 9-11 games this year if we can stay reasonably healthy.
London should be awarded a new long term contract.

When it comes to London, if he does not last I hope Beamer picks him up to help us recruit from now on.

If UVA goes 0-12, I predict Hoos will keep London. There's some unknown factor up there. This is evident by the number of recruits going there, knowing they probably never see a bowl game, unless they buy a ticket.

I say no way possible if our much-improved O stays predictable.

We will not win 10 games and will not win 10 in the regular season as long as Frank Beamer is the HC of Va Tech. We have 2 automatic losses in OSU at home and on the road at Ga Tech (who will win the Atlantic and the ACC title game.) They will have their best team in Atlanta in 25 years.

We lose At least one game of the following.....Pitt, NC St, at Miami, at BC and at home to Duke and at Purdue and ECU. We are not going 7 and 0 with these 7 games. I think we lose not only 1, but 2 of them finishing 8 and 4. Those 7 games are games in which the opponents are pretty well coached in 5 of the 7 teams and our Offense ALWAYS can be counted on for about 4 duds per year in which it looks the worst in America ( this is due to coaching and not the players). The D will not overcome 2 of those four duds in these 7 games and give us wins here, but we lose two of them in which the Foster and the D can not bail out the offense.

At Va Tech in 2015, there REMAINS a severe offensive culture and offensive coaching problem that continues to keep us outside of the top 30-35 in offensive recruiting talent and depth. That only changes when Frank Beamer retires or is forced to retire. The same applies to 4 losses per year. It changes when he leaves and Stinespring leaves which is 7 years to late for both of them. This post is my opinion only (just like everyone else's) in this thread. We may go undefeated or not win one game. Time will tell, but history provides us great insight.

The thing about this thread is that we have some big unanswered questions.
1. What happens if we lose just one O-line starter early in the season? Depth?
2. What happens if we lose one starter at DE early in the season? Depth?
3. What happens if our OC is just like he has been for the last two years?
4. What happens if our HC has to take a more hands off approach ala the Military Bowl ?
5. What happens if our QB is injured? High probability?
Would be interested in your opinions.

Those questions have been answered.

What are the odds of ANY team in America losing AT LEAST one OL guy? Odds are....more than 50% of teams in the country will. That does not matter though. We have seen VTs O for 14 years with or without injuries. It does NOT matter.

Losing the QB would hurt and nearly every team in America takes a hit if they lose their QB. OSU of course was a big exception last season.

Finally, you wrote about the OC and his performance for the past two years. We have a 14 year problem at VT regarding the OC and not a two year problem. Until Lefty, our OC was Stiney and Beamer. Our OC now is 1/3rd Beamer, Stiney, and Lefty. Thank God for Lefty and his one third because that is the portion making up 100% of our production. The other two take about 80% away from the production.......thus our O is about 20% effective.

If the numbers above are confusing....then to simplify it...Lefty is the only slight hope we have on O. CFB and Stiney are/have/continue to devastate our O.

Last.....if we lose 2 de' s and 2 corners on D.....again....how many times have we seen the picture with Foster? Going on nearly one quarter of a century now, the D will be solid regardless of an injury where we have a perceived lack of depth on D. Sure..the D may be LESS good with some injuries, but it will still be....Good. Offensively, we are not good or simply put....Bad. A few injuries makes us a bit worse offensively, but do not forget that we are simply not good on O to start with.

Last edited:
The thing about this thread is that we have some big unanswered questions.
1. What happens if we lose just one O-line starter early in the season? Depth?
2. What happens if we lose one starter at DE early in the season? Depth?
3. What happens if our OC is just like he has been for the last two years?
4. What happens if our HC has to take a more hands off approach ala the Military Bowl ?
5. What happens if our QB is injured? High probability?
Would be interested in your opinions.
1 and 2 would kill us.

3 - Why would we expect him to change

4 - Would not be detrimental, possibly a plus

5 - Motley might not do bad. After Motely we are in trouble.

We will not win 10 games and will not win 10 in the regular season as long as Frank Beamer is the HC of Va Tech. We have 2 automatic losses in OSU at home and on the road at Ga Tech (who will win the Atlantic and the ACC title game.) They will have their best team in Atlanta in 25 years.

We lose At least one game of the following.....Pitt, NC St, at Miami, at BC and at home to Duke and at Purdue and ECU. We are not going 7 and 0 with these 7 games. I think we lose not only 1, but 2 of them finishing 8 and 4. Those 7 games are games in which the opponents are pretty well coached in 5 of the 7 teams and our Offense ALWAYS can be counted on for about 4 duds per year in which it looks the worst in America ( this is due to coaching and not the players). The D will not overcome 2 of those four duds in these 7 games and give us wins here, but we lose two of them in which the Foster and the D can not bail out the offense.

At Va Tech in 2015, there REMAINS a severe offensive culture and offensive coaching problem that continues to keep us outside of the top 30-35 in offensive recruiting talent and depth. That only changes when Frank Beamer retires or is forced to retire. The same applies to 4 losses per year. It changes when he leaves and Stinespring leaves which is 7 years to late for both of them. This post is my opinion only (just like everyone else's) in this thread. We may go undefeated or not win one game. Time will tell, but history provides us great insight.

I'm not going to quibble about the body of your post, as it's more likely true than false in my opinion. My only comment regards GT. At the time we played them last season, we were the better team, and ultimately threw up on ourselves to lose. Granted GT then improved tremendously towards the end of the season.
Here's my thoughts on GT: They generally have very mediocre athletes except for one or two good ones. What differentiates them is the scheme and this year a great QB to run it. They don't have good RB's coming back, and their defense will be mediocre at best. VT, on the other hand, has better and more athletes, which usually carries the day (why we over the years couldn't beat the USC's, Alabama's, etc...). So GT is left with their scheme which VT defends as well as anyone in the country.
So, all in, I think that game is not an automatic loss. In fact, I anticipate GT will lose 4-6 games themselves.

We lose At least one game of the following.....Pitt, NC St, at Miami, at BC and at home to Duke and at Purdue and ECU. We are not going 7 and 0 with these 7 games. I think we lose not only 1, but 2 of them finishing 8 and 4.

Don't forget our annual WTF loss, which is a Beamer trademark at this point. Look at the worst 4 teams on our schedule and we are practically guaranteed to lose to at least one of them. We do every year due to really poor coaching and preparation.

Tell me, must Stiney leave the entire Old Dominion for you to finally quit scapegoating him? It isn't Stiney, and it hasn't been Stiney. It's Frank, first and last.'

VT should win ten games this year, because:

• VT returns eight starters on each side of the ball this year, and more starters return that was injured last year. It is a loaded team.
  • The skill players have a full year under their best.
  • They were saddled with many key injuries, and depth was depleted.
  • They flat gave away two-three games as it stands.
  • Their schedule is easy this year.

If VT stays at 8 or worse, Frank needs to retire. He would have contracted Stage IV Bobby Bowden Syndrome.

The O line will be better this year. Not great, but better. That may be all we need to get back on track for 9 - 11 wins.

ADVERTISEMENT