ADVERTISEMENT

WRs Coach Hot Board

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
TONS of info right now over on The Gobbler on everything going on with the coaching search, commit reactions and remaining offers, but here's a more in-depth look at who some of the main targets are for the WRs coach position open:

Hot Board For WRs coach

So what do yall think about this hire? I like that this guy is entrenched in hampton rds, and his pedigree/coaching record looks pretty amazing.

And how about Moorehead? I wouldn't be surprised if he's OC at TAMU within a couple years and goes on to be a big time hc. Gonna miss that dude.

He will be a very good recruiter for VT , main reason for him being hired, IMO. If he does, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him be around when the New Head Coach takes over at VT. Recruiting is the main reason......

Originally posted by SunnyBeachWave:
So what do yall think about this hire? I like that this guy is entrenched in hampton rds, and his pedigree/coaching record looks pretty amazing.

And how about Moorehead? I wouldn't be surprised if he's OC at TAMU within a couple years and goes on to be a big time hc. Gonna miss that dude.
I like the hire. Like you, I like the recruiting aspect. Believe he will relate well to recruits as well as current players. Has coached in an offense that puts up huge passing numbers.

Originally posted by VTSmitty:

I like the hire. Like you, I like the recruiting aspect. Believe he will relate well to recruits as well as current players. Has coached in an offense that puts up huge passing numbers.
I'm not all that impressed. It looks to me to be a big step down from Morehead when I was hoping we'd find an upgrade.

Playing WR for VMI is like playing WR for a Virginia High School, and whatever achievements earned there are akin to awards for being the best surfer in Kansas -- not all that impressive.

Now the guy may have a great personality and be a great recruiter. Maybe he's another diamond in the rough and will be big-time someday. I just hate the thought of him turning into a Newsome who was also supposed to have all these great recruiting contacts and experience but only had terrible results. Maybe I'm once-bitten, twice-shy about that being the reason to hire a coach.

Morehead proved he could produce at the next level -- that's important. I want a guy that can turn recruits into NFL prospects immediately.

I'm terribly disappointed because it looks like a desperation hire to quickly find someone.

Originally posted by VA4VT:

I'm not all that impressed. It looks to me to be a big step down from Morehead when I was hoping we'd find an upgrade.

Playing WR for VMI is like playing WR for a Virginia High School, and whatever achievements earned there are akin to awards for being the best surfer in Kansas -- not all that impressive.

Now the guy may have a great personality and be a great recruiter. Maybe he's another diamond in the rough and will be big-time someday. I just hate the thought of him turning into a Newsome who was also supposed to have all these great recruiting contacts and experience but only had terrible results. Maybe I'm once-bitten, twice-shy about that being the reason to hire a coach.

Morehead proved he could produce at the next level -- that's important. I want a guy that can turn recruits into NFL prospects immediately.

I'm terribly disappointed because it looks like a desperation hire to quickly find someone.
I'm thinking this dude is a big fish in shallow water. Schooled under Wilder, he's performed, got life-long connections where it matters and the icing on the cake is held the title "passing game coordinator" in that hi-output system.

Somebody down there at ODU knows what they're doing. They built a program from ground up and had a 9-2 season the first year and led the fCS in scoring by their 4th year. That's pretty impressive to me at any level among 100+ teams.

Still, I'm a bit reserved because I know there's a talent difference and it is a gamble but at least he's not coming from a triple option system.

Went to a lot of ODU games the last 4 years while my daughter was there and offense was not a problem.....couldn't play D for Crap but O was not an issue. I will say the QB was underrated coming out and he certainly made their O go, still not sure Brewer can make the O go.....

From the Morehead that just left VT, or the one VT initially hired?

Hiring Mooreead was a huge gamble. The man had never coached (Was an Asst.) a day in his life. He had that IT factor in his personality and he could sell. He related to younger guys.
Zohn has coached WR's and still does. He has guys who have received honor for performance under him. He has recruited 11 guys this year so far. They may not all be our choice (Although some are ) but he has successfully recruited them all.
Those who are looking for a big splash are dreaming. Not very many big splashes at this level of coach who can be afforded.

Originally posted by leeanderthal:
Hiring Mooreead was a huge gamble. The man had never coached (Was an Asst.) a day in his life. He had that IT factor in his personality and he could sell. He related to younger guys.
Zohn has coached WR's and still does. He has guys who have received honor for performance under him. He has recruited 11 guys this year so far. They may not all be our choice (Although some are ) but he has successfully recruited them all.
Those who are looking for a big splash are dreaming. Not very many big splashes at this level of coach who can be afforded.
Exactly. Moorehead wasn't any bigger of a hire than Burden would be. He sure turned out well, but Burden probably has a much better resume than Moorehead had when we hired him.

We've had coaches on staff in the recent past that prove that experience in coaching does not equate to ability to teach the kids the proper technique and fundamentals that will allow them to be successful at the next level.

At least when Morehead was hired, we knew that his fundamentals and technique were good enough in college to get him into the NFL for more than a couple of seasons. It was also evident that his personality was a fit. Moreover, even as an assistant at Stanford, he was in a program which had an effective passing offense at the top of the college ranks. Where exactly does ODU fall in the college ranks?

Admittedly, I know nothing about Burden, so I will concede that he may have a great personality and be a great fit culturally. However, I will argue that Morehead's resume as a former NFL WR and an assistant at Stanford is more impressive than a WR at VMI and a coach at ODU.

We've had coaches on staff in the recent past that prove that experience in coaching does not equate to ability to teach the kids the proper technique and fundamentals that will allow them to be successful at the next level.

At least when Morehead was hired, we knew that his fundamentals and technique were good enough in college to get him into the NFL for more than a couple of seasons. It was also evident that his personality was a fit. Moreover, even as an assistant at Stanford, he was in a program which had an effective passing offense at the top of the college ranks. Where exactly does ODU fall in the college ranks?

Admittedly, I know nothing about Burden, so I will concede that he may have a great personality and be a great fit culturally. However, I will argue that Morehead's resume as a former NFL WR and an assistant at Stanford is more impressive than a WR at VMI and a coach at ODU.
Your opening statement makes no sense to me. I's like a gate that swings both ways. Every coaching hire is a risk but a hire that has no experience would be looked upon as a higher risk than one who has been successful.
Personality In Amo's case worked. I'm told that Burden's personality is a fit.
ODU has the 30'th rank passing attack of 20114. We are 70'th.
Moorehead was a higher risk than Burden imo. Burdun has a successful career as a WR's coach and recruiter. Moorehead had neither of those things. He was great and I'm happy we got him and sorry we lost him but to say he was better because he caught passes for several years and worked as an asst. at Stanford just doesn't hold water .

Re: Anxious to see the Gospel according to Zohn

Originally posted by Salemite:
chapter 1
Not for me ,I'm out. Ive seen pc's multiple mile long epistles for a looooong time .

Your opening statement makes no sense to me. I's like a gate that swings both ways. Every coaching hire is a risk but a hire that has no experience would be looked upon as a higher risk than one who has been successful.
Personality In Amo's case worked. I'm told that Burden's personality is a fit.
ODU has the 30'th rank passing attack of 20114. We are 70'th.
Moorehead was a higher risk than Burden imo. Burdun has a successful career as a WR's coach and recruiter. Moorehead had neither of those things. He was great and I'm happy we got him and sorry we lost him but to say he was better because he caught passes for several years and worked as an asst. at Stanford just doesn't hold water .
Pep Hamilton also thought a lot of Moorehead and pumped him up to Beamer. That might have been his biggest favor, given the lack of coaching exp. Hamilton has a pretty good eye imo.

I have a feeling Burden is going to contribute to VT in a whole lot of ways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT