ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson-Virginia Tech Game

VT can help carry ACC Banner better than Louisville. Lousiville even being in ACC is a joke. They do not belong in ACC. I still can't believe ACC invited Louisville into the league.

You're right, Syracuse doesn't belong in ACC either, same goes for Pittsburgh. Back in BCS era, many people said Big East did not deserve an automatic bid to a BCS Bowl because conference was so weak. Then ACC brought in all these weak teams. Doesn't make sense.

You're right, Syracuse doesn't belong in ACC either, same goes for Pittsburgh. Back in BCS era, many people said Big East did not deserve an automatic bid to a BCS Bowl because conference was so weak. Then ACC brought in all these weak teams. Doesn't make sense.
Pitt makes sense to me. They care about football and have a strong history. Basketball also isn't a bad team. Maryland leaving for LVille was a huge upgrade, but I would love to have snagged West Virgina and never taken on Syracuse. That trade would be perfect.

ESPN ran an article today saying that the ACC needed for VT to step up and help Clemson carry the league banner since Louisville and FSU have been such disappointments, but as much as a hate to say it, I think a VT win here looks bad on the league from a national perspective.

I'll take it, mind you (VT has it's own street cred that we're trying to build up under Fuente), but what's best for the league right now is for VT to lose a really close, well-played game, and for both teams look really good in the process, and for Clemson to then NOT stub their toe for the rest of the year. That tells the nation that the ACC is not a one-trick pony this season...but also keeps the ACC's top national title hopeful with the most street cred in play for defending their title.

BUT...if we manage to blow all that up, then that's fine, too :) We can start a new narrative if that ends up being the case (the ACC has yet another powerhouse coming onto the scene).

I gotta be honest here. I'm in the F the ACC club! You guys weren't around in the 80's when the tobacco road schools ran things. I was and saw how the conference promoted those teams first and everyone else 2nd. It's still happening to a lesser extent, but the football powers actually have some power now.

I LIKE Boston College and VT as programs and almost always root for you guys except when it's counter to Clemson's interests. The rest of the conference... meh.

So I got zero problem with VT being on the rise... The ACC can indeed use all the help it can get. Hopefully Clemson can pull it out and make some noise in the playoffs again this year.

Personally though, I can't see this team competing with Bama this year w/o a TON of improvement out of our offense in general and Bryant in particular. Right now Clemson wouldn't score 10 on Bama.

I gotta be honest here. I'm in the F the ACC club! You guys weren't around in the 80's when the tobacco road schools ran things. I was and saw how the conference promoted those teams first and everyone else 2nd. It's still happening to a lesser extent, but the football powers actually have some power now.

I LIKE Boston College and VT as programs and almost always root for you guys except when it's counter to Clemson's interests. The rest of the conference... meh.

So I got zero problem with VT being on the rise... The ACC can indeed use all the help it can get. Hopefully Clemson can pull it out and make some noise in the playoffs again this year.

Personally though, I can't see this team competing with Bama this year w/o a TON of improvement out of our offense in general and Bryant in particular. Right now Clemson wouldn't score 10 on Bama.
I dont think Bama would score more than 17 against Clemson though, so it would still be a very close game.

How many of us really expected to make the playoffs this year though? Going into the the season I expected double digit wins and a New Years six bowl. This team is certainly playoff caliber though. We may not beat Bama this year, but they don't look as good as last year either.

Nonetheless all will be solved once the prince that was promised arrives on campus next year.

Trevor-Lawrence-by-Jeff-Sentell-121016a_vdcacl.jpg

Reactions: Jokes On You
But VT's defense has been suspect in the passing game (again) and Clemson's offense has looked pretty sporty (again), so I think we can safety ditch any thoughts of holding Clemson in the teens. Just like last year, we'll be doing fairly well to hold Clemson in the 30s.

The good news is...the VT offense has some unexpected pop, so I'm expecting to see quite a bit more than 17 from our side as well.

The Hokies have played the following schedule: #23 West Virginia (3-1), Div.II Delaware, @ East Carolina (1-3), Old Dominion (2-2). I won't list out Delaware, due to the level of competition.

Total Defense: West Virginia #107, East Carolina #130, Old Dominion #98

Rushing Defense: West Virginia #114, East Carolina #124, Old Dominion #91

Passing Defense: West Virginia #63, East Carolina #129, Old Dominion #80

The Louisville market added the state of Kentucky and another good ACC/SEC rivalry. Plus the Louisville/Kentucky market actually may encompass the fringes or southern parts of Ohio and Indiana due to proximity. That gives the ACC a little bit more press into BIG-10 country, other that what Notre Dame may bring.

Last edited:
Reactions: willtiger1234
ACC and that over rated school in Indiana should never be mentioned in the same sentence. The ACC sleeps with that school. I think ACC schools should have refused to have anything at all to do with that school. Not even play them in OOC games in any sport. ACC can survive without any help from Kentucky. Indiana. Ohio.or any other mid west state. I wonder what ACC says about trouble Louisville is in. When those rogues joined ACC I said something like this would happen. They are a dirty school.

ACC and that over rated school in Indiana should never be mentioned in the same sentence. The ACC sleeps with that school. I think ACC schools should have refused to have anything at all to do with that school. Not even play them in OOC games in any sport. ACC can survive without any help from Kentucky. Indiana. Ohio.or any other mid west state. I wonder what ACC says about trouble Louisville is in. When those rogues joined ACC I said something like this would happen. They are a dirty school.
The ACC is more worried about Duke and UNC Basketball.

The Hokies have played the following schedule: #23 West Virginia (3-1), Div.II Delaware, @ East Carolina (1-3), Old Dominion (2-2). I won't list out Delaware, due to the level of competition.

It's not just about level of competition, it's about passing the eye test, execution, focus, creative schemes and laying the wood to teams that you should be laying the wood to. Offenses under Beamer frequently stumbled and bumbled about against overmatched opponents. The coaches (and a few fans) then made all kinds of excuses about how those garbage time games didn't really count, but then the offenses ended up dying altogether at some point down the road against real defenses.

Fuente offenses (both years so far) don't mess around. Despite having a freshman QB, this year's offense has been precise, dynamic and has operated at an impressively high execution level so far. Very few penalties, almost no turnovers, and Jackson has looked poised and relaxed in the pocket on the way to putting up some monster numbers by VT standards.

No one is saying that VT will hang 64 on Clemson because they hung 64 on ECU (for sure, it's a different level of competition)...but if you're a Clemson fan and you discount an offense that can score that many points in what was basically 2-1/2 quarters of play just because the opponent didn't have "Clemson" written on their jersey...then you're probably going to have the same look on your face on Saturday that you had last year during the ACCCG. SOS aside, it only takes about 5 minutes watching this offense to see that it has some pop to it. The 1st half of the WVU game was pretty slow out of the gate, but this offense has been on fire ever since halftime of that game. So anyone who is expecting VT to get shut down better have a bottle of Tums handy...because VT is going to move the ball and they're going to score some points.

And win or lose, you Clemson guys have fun watching Jackson. Like I said, he's just a freshman...so you're going to be looking at him for a long time. It will be reminiscent of when the rest of the league watched Watson his freshman season...and we all went "Uh oh" together.

Hmmm...since we're posting numbers now...check out the offenses that Clemson has faced so far...

Kent - #127 total offense, #128 scoring offense
Auburn - #68 total offense, #66 scoring offense
Louisville - #8 total offense, #40 scoring offense
BC - #114 total offense, #119 scoring offense

Louisville's offense is good, so that was a good effort holding them to "only" 433 yards and 21 points. The other 3 offenses they've played this year, however, were not much, and 2 of them rank amongst the very worst offenses in the country.

As a point of reference, VT checks in at #14 in total offense and #27 in scoring offense.

Wow, I like those statistics. Makes me feel a little more confident. We keep hearing what a good defense they have (and they do), but the offensive competition hasn't been stellar. I like VT in B'burg this Saturday. I'm sure many Clemson fans have some concerns. We may be their toughest test of the year, until the playoffs.
Looking forward to a great game.

Hmmm...since we're posting numbers now...check out the offenses that Clemson has faced so far...

Kent - #127 total offense, #128 scoring offense
Auburn - #68 total offense, #66 scoring offense
Louisville - #8 total offense, #40 scoring offense
BC - #114 total offense, #119 scoring offense

Louisville's offense is good, so that was a good effort holding them to "only" 433 yards and 21 points. The other 3 offenses they've played this year, however, were not much, and 2 of them rank amongst the very worst offenses in the country.

As a point of reference, VT checks in at #14 in total offense and #27 in scoring offense.
Most of Louisvilles stats were put on the board after Clemson had pulled the starters. Also, I would argue that Clemson's schedule difficulty is light years ahead of VTs to date.

Most of Louisvilles stats were put on the board after Clemson had pulled the starters. Also, I would argue that Clemson's schedule difficulty is light years ahead of VTs to date.

Lol, do you think this only happens to Clemson? Also, we're only 4 games into the season, so a game where a team puts up a high volume of yards against someone can skew the statistical rankings somewhat. I'm not saying that's definitely happened with VT, nor am I arguing that VT's schedule is as tough as Clemson's thus far. But I think Fuente's resume speaks for itself apropos of our offensive ranking, and I think it's even more impressive that we've managed a top 15 offense considering our stinker against Delaware (303 total yards).

Clemson's defense passes the eye test for me, so I know they're good again. But if you're the type of person that likes to posts stats on message boards to make a point about level of competition...well, then, the numbers for Clemson's defense would certainly imply that they're not all that.

Wow HR did you see this......I'm confused on who's played the cupcakes?

VT is in no position to say what's good for the ACC. No offense because y'all seem like great posters, but you're the new kid on the block and haven't brought much of anything to the table. Louisville at least puts eyes on the TV and is nationally ranked in football, basketball and baseball. ND would be a great addition as well in the era of conference expansion.

As far as Louisville basketball, nearly every conference is going to have a team or two roasted by this when its all said and done. College basketball has been miles dirtier that football since I've been alive.

It's not just about level of competition, it's about passing the eye test, execution, focus, creative schemes and laying the wood to teams that you should be laying the wood to. Offenses under Beamer frequently stumbled and bumbled about against overmatched opponents. The coaches (and a few fans) then made all kinds of excuses about how those garbage time games didn't really count, but then the offenses ended up dying altogether at some point down the road against real defenses.

Fuente offenses (both years so far) don't mess around. Despite having a freshman QB, this year's offense has been precise, dynamic and has operated at an impressively high execution level so far. Very few penalties, almost no turnovers, and Jackson has looked poised and relaxed in the pocket on the way to putting up some monster numbers by VT standards.

No one is saying that VT will hang 64 on Clemson because they hung 64 on ECU (for sure, it's a different level of competition)...but if you're a Clemson fan and you discount an offense that can score that many points in what was basically 2-1/2 quarters of play just because the opponent didn't have "Clemson" written on their jersey...then you're probably going to have the same look on your face on Saturday that you had last year during the ACCCG. SOS aside, it only takes about 5 minutes watching this offense to see that it has some pop to it. The 1st half of the WVU game was pretty slow out of the gate, but this offense has been on fire ever since halftime of that game. So anyone who is expecting VT to get shut down better have a bottle of Tums handy...because VT is going to move the ball and they're going to score some points.

And win or lose, you Clemson guys have fun watching Jackson. Like I said, he's just a freshman...so you're going to be looking at him for a long time. It will be reminiscent of when the rest of the league watched Watson his freshman season...and we all went "Uh oh" together.

Watson was better as a freshman than this kid will be as a senior. VT will struggle to score in the mid teens.

Reactions: PainClinic

They check in at #14, BECAUSE they've played 3 defenses ranking in the lower 1/3 of D1 football and an FCS team. Now, to go up against a #3 overall defense? Temper your expectations. #werebuiltforthis

I don't think QB-JJ will have time to throw and I doubt he gets the ball to Cam Phillips much. Venables will get pressure with 4 and take CP away with double coverage or bracketed coverage. CP will have to have a career game for you to have a chance.

You're best play in the ACC CG was Evans QB keepers. He had 2" and 25 lbs on Josh Jackson. Plus, our DL is better this year than last.

TIGERS 34-17

Lol, do you think this only happens to Clemson? Also, we're only 4 games into the season, so a game where a team puts up a high volume of yards against someone can skew the statistical rankings somewhat. I'm not saying that's definitely happened with VT, nor am I arguing that VT's schedule is as tough as Clemson's thus far. But I think Fuente's resume speaks for itself apropos of our offensive ranking, and I think it's even more impressive that we've managed a top 15 offense considering our stinker against Delaware (303 total yards).
What exactly has Fuente won as a head coach for his resume to “speak for itself”? If Dabo only had Fuente’s resume I would feel more confident about this game...

Best of luck, Hokies - should be a good one. Looking forward to Enter Sandman!

Waiting on @MANAFOLD to come over here and give you guys the kiss of death though. He's a gamecock poster who likes to get out ahead of our schedule and wish our opponents well each week on the Rivals forum network.

Running out of time though, get on over here and drop a word salad, little buddy!

They check in at #14, BECAUSE they've played 3 defenses ranking in the lower 1/3 of D1 football and an FCS team. Now, to go up against a #3 overall defense? Temper your expectations.
Wow, you're dense. The reason Clemson's defense checks in at #3 is BECAUSE they've played 3 really bad offenses, 2 of which rank in the bottom 10 in the country. And now you're going up against the best offense you've seen yet this year?

So how's this for tempered expectations...I promise you that on Sunday, Clemson will not still be ranked #3 in the country in total defense. Please feel free to revisit the board next week and congratulate me on being right.

And for the record, VT's starters played sparingly in the 2nd halves in those games you mentioned above. If Fuente was just about big numbers against bad opponents, the carnage could've been much, much worse, and VT's offensive rankings could've been much, much higher. But he sat the starters in those games because they executed the game plan as well as any offense he's ever had. Fuente is hard to please, and he's been thrilled with this offense so far, which is more than good enough for me.

What exactly has Fuente won as a head coach for his resume to “speak for itself”? If Dabo only had Fuente’s resume I would feel more confident about this game...
Fuente took the worst college football program in the entire country and turned it into a 10 win, ranked, bowl winner in 3 years time. Dabo has never come close to showing that kind of coaching chops, and he never will.

Wow, you're dense. The reason Clemson's defense checks in at #3 is BECAUSE they've played 3 really bad offenses, 2 of which rank in the bottom 10 in the country. And now you're going up against the best offense you've seen yet this year?

So how's this for tempered expectations...I promise you that on Sunday, Clemson will not still be ranked #3 in the country in total defense. Please feel free to revisit the board next week and congratulate me on being right.

And for the record, VT's starters played sparingly in the 2nd halves in those games you mentioned above. If Fuente was just about big numbers against bad opponents, the carnage could've been much, much worse, and VT's offensive rankings could've been much, much higher. But he sat the starters in those games because they executed the game plan as well as any offense he's ever had. Fuente is hard to please, and he's been thrilled with this offense so far, which is more than good enough for me.

Better than the offense at Louisville? You seem to not understand just how good this Clemson defense is. Don't worry, you will after Saturday night.

Fuente took the worst college football program in the entire country and turned it into a 10 win, ranked, bowl winner in 3 years time. Dabo has never come close to showing that kind of coaching chops, and he never will.

Dabo has a national championship with more in the future. Will Fuente accomplish that?

So you're claiming victory if we fall to #4 or #5? Enjoy that! In fact, I conceded that we won't be #3 next week (after we've gotten our 4th string players reps). Louisville is the best offense we'll see this year and they got 7 on our first team, and that was against the Heisman winner, much less a freshman.

Why don't you really "man up" and predict your dominant offense will score 40 and stay in the top 25 in scoring average? I'd check back for that!

Clemson has had dominant defenses for the last 5 years. Many predicted we'd have a top 5 defense this year. So our top #3 ranking isn't a shock to anyone.

NOBODY predicted that VT would have a dominant offense this year and the reason that you're in the top 30 is because you've played "The Little Sisters of the Poor" and "Gertrude's Beauty School".

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerRag2016
VT is in no position to say what's good for the ACC. No offense because y'all seem like great posters, but you're the new kid on the block and haven't brought much of anything to the table.

I disagree as a Tiger fan. VT ( when FSU was down)football carried the ACC for a few years until about 2011.

Reactions: Jokes On You
I think a bit of too much kool-aid being drunk around here. There is nothing to suggest that VT will score significant points on Clemson. To be able to do that would imply that Virginia Tech's offense is capable on all fronts. To be honest, we have not demonstrated much of a running attack and that will haunt us during this game. Unless we can go vertical early and force linebackers back in coverage then the running game will go nowhere.

On the other side, I think that our defense will be the best that Clemson has faced. However, the defensive line has had trouble getting in the backfield this year which could spell trouble for us.

My prediction is that if VT defense can rush the QB and disrupt his timing and if VT's offense miraculously develops a run game then this will be a close game. Otherwise I feel a potential blowout could occur. I really do not have a good feeling about this game. I hope I am wrong. I would love nothing more than to have a win but just don't believe it will happen.

I want a close game so VT stays up in the rankings and with a lot of luck we end up with Clemson in the championship series and we get an Orange bowl bid. (This is being super optimistic and having over-the-top homerism especially in light of preseason expectations)

Why don't you really "man up" and predict your dominant offense will score 40 and stay in the top 25 in scoring average? I'd check back for that!
Why don't you "man up" and predict a shutout for your dominant defense? If VT's offense isn't nearly as good as the numbers would suggest and Clemson's defense is God's Gift to mankind, then what are you scared of?

Why don't you "man up" and predict a shutout for your dominant defense?

Because you're the one making promises. I take your silence on my challenge as a concession. Smart move! We practice against a better Offense every day.

I made my score prediction and it wasn't a shutout. We give up 9.3 a game and I even included a garbage time TD to make it 34-17.

Better than the offense at Louisville? You seem to not understand just how good this Clemson defense is. Don't worry, you will after Saturday night.
I cringe sometimes when I watch Louisville's offense. It's one incredibly exciting player scrambling around trying to invent plays from nothing, but he doesn't get a lot of help and there doesn't seem to be much rhyme, reason or focus to the plays being called.

What is Louisville's goal on offense? What is their scheme, exactly? What are they trying to establish? What is their identity? What plays are they calling that are meant to set up other plays later in the game? What is their plan in long yardage situations? What are they doing to counter pressure? What are they doing to counter coverage?

When I watch Louisville, I have a hard time seeing the answers to these questions. At times, it seems like their entire offensive playbook is "Lamar...drop back, run around, and either throw it or run it." He's good enough that it frequently works and Louisville still has good production, but here's the real question...take Kent State's QB and let him run Louisville's offense. Would Louisville ever score again? Is it a good system or is it just one outstanding player?

VT may or may not exceed Louisville's production on Saturday night, but to directly answer your question, yes, I think VT has a much better offensive scheme in place. We don't have anyone as dynamic as Lamar pulling the strings, but it's a system that helps the players succeed and not a system that succeeds because of one player. Louisville's big gainers against Clemson seemed to be largely based on broken plays. If VT moves the ball in this game, it will instead be by design, and there is a difference there.

As for your last comment, I watch Clemson every week, and I think you guys have one of the top 5 best defenses in the country. But no, I don't think you're good enough to shut down this VT offense. If I'm wrong, then I'll be happy to give props where it is due. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about football, and it won't be the last.

Yes...a simple play that Clemson's defense was not good enough to stop, so Fuente kept calling it over and over. And it kept working over and over.

...and then you guys won the ACC CG...oh wait!?!?

For the record you had 102 yards on 35 carries for 2.9 average. Evans had 46 yards on 21 carries, barely over 2 yards per carry. Like I said it was your best play. #factcheckingisab*tch

VT had 386 total yards and 35 points in that game...so it's very lucky for you that we didn't have any more good plays, or you would've lost that game pretty handily.

Heck, you BARELY hung on and won against all the bad plays we were calling.

I predict Clemson by 14.....VT's lack of a running game will be a big problem, Clemson's defense will have a field day against a one dimensional team. But I don't see a blowout because Bud is still running the defense.

VT had 386 total yards and 35 points in that game...so it's very lucky for you that we didn't have any more good plays, or you would've lost that game pretty handily.

Heck, you BARELY hung on and won against all the bad plays we were calling.

You're kind of a "I know you are but what am I?" guy aren't you?

Louisville had a great game against us last year and thought that that would matter this year. They were wrong, very wrong.

As much as you think you "almost won" last year, the reality was you battled late to keep it close, it was a 3 TD game with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd.

again...fact checking!

Last edited:
You're kind of a "I know you are but what am I?" guy aren't you?

Louisville had a great game against us last year and thought that that would matter this year. They were wrong, very wrong.

As much as you think you "almost won" last year, the realty was you battled late to keep it close, it was a 3 TD game with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd.

again...fact checking!
The final score was 1 score difference. You cannot claim garbage time because in this game there was no garbage time. We pulled within 1 score of you early in the 4th so you had to keep 1st string in the game. In fact at the end of the game we had one drive left going for the tie at your 23 but failed. So I think everyone here can agree that this was a pretty close game. Much closer than anyone expected. I will be elated if the same were to occur for this game.

The final score was 1 score difference. You cannot claim garbage time because in this game there was no garbage time. We pulled within 1 score of you early in the 4th so you had to keep 1st string in the game. In fact at the end of the game we had one drive left going for the tie at your 23 but failed. So I think everyone here can agree that this was a pretty close game. Much closer than anyone expected. I will be elated if the same were to occur for this game.

I agree, last year was a close game, but It wont have any bearing on this years game. Louisville thought that they should have beaten us last year with DW #4, so they would beat us this year. This seasons game was even more decisive, on the road, and against a Heisman winner.

My "garbage time" TD was in reference to this years score prediction. Deshaun was off the charts clutch but consistency was where he lacked. We would get ahead and let teams linger until he pulled off a late drive. It served us well verses Alabama, but there were many "3 and out" drives throughout his tenure that left us scratching our heads.

VT shows no demonstrable ability to run the ball when you have to and our DL is the best you'll see in a long time. We can run the ball and your DL doesn't have much depth. Cam Phillips seem to be your only viable weapon on offense and your freshman QB hasn't seen the DL personnel or a DC with the ability to scheme at this point in his career. I think you'll have a great season and will be a better team when we see you in the ACC CG, but as far as this weekend goes. we're pretty confident.

Maybe the emotion of Gameday and the Sandman keeps it close but you'll have a hard time against our depth for 4 quarters. You remind me of us 5 years ago. We'd take good teams (FSU) deep into the 3rd but they would beat us on depth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT