ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: 11.16 VT Coach Search Update***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, just a few late night tidbits on VT and its coaching search.

First, I talked shortly ago with Matt Moreno at GoAZCats.com, who said it's sounding more and more like coach Rich Rodriguez is staying at Arizona. He apparently had a meeting late last week with the school's athletics director. In the meeting, the AD basically confronted Rodriguez on where he stands. Rodriguez reportedly told him he plans on staying, but acknowledged that he has looked around.

Here's a twist, one coach who has expressed interest through back channels behind the scenes is North Carolina coach Larry Fedora. I'd heard his name mentioned a while back, but this is the first thing concrete about Fedora, through a very trusted source. Right now, it's hard to see Fedora leaving a team he has at 9-1, on pace for the ACC title game and in the same division as the Heels.

And this isn't an overly serious level of interest for the moment, only Fedora saying he's interested. But it sounds more and more like Fedora feels like sanctions are coming at UNC. That would certainly explain his interest, in part. Still, definitely something to monitor.

Lastly, I spoke earlier with my friend Radi Nabulsi, publisher of UGASports.com, which covers Georgia. I've got a Q&A with him on coach Mark Richt coming tomorrow. But Nabilsi said it's sounding more and more like Richt will be staying at Georgia. Apparently the administration has given Richt more and more support in the past year than it has in his past 15 years with the Dogs. They've given his staff raises, a new indoor facility and added more support staff that led to zero arrests for players in the past year.

Nabilsi said he's hearing info from sources that say Richt is leaving and staying. Nabilsi said there would also be the possibility of Richt retiring, since his family is all there and he's big on his charity work there. But right now, Nabilsi said it sounds like 80% that Richt will be back next season, barring a collapse in either of the two regular season games and the bowl game. And it sounds like for now, the fall guy for Georgia's three losses will be defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt. That would help Richt stay in place.

More coming, but for now, that's the latest. The top candidate, as dm4vtdu has alluded to, still appears to be Memphis' Justin Fuente. But Fedora is a new twist that seems to be gaining at least a little bit of traction.

Reactions: VtTTFAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News