ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Frank Beamer Update***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, dm4vtdu has had some great stuff, but wanted to add some stuff that I've gotten from some very good sources. Apparently, coach Frank Beamer was approached this weekend, after the Duke loss, about retiring, by a few prominent boosters. Athletics director Whit Babcock also spoke to Beamer, though I'm told he's not the main one who approached Beamer about retiring. There's growing support among even those who have been in Beamer's corner that it's time to retire. They'd like him to announce it officially before the season is over, preferrably during the bye week, to give them time to get a jump on the coaches who will be available at the end of the season.

I'm told that Beamer told them "no." He was as torn up after the Duke game as much as he ever has been about a game, according to some sources who were around him. But Beamer doesn't want to do anything while the season is still ongoing.

The reports of potential targets continue to roll in. The Hokies and any other team can't currently talk to any coaches until the regular season has completed. But after that, two of the top guys to come to the forefront on VT's list are Justin Fuente at Memphis and Matt Campbell at Toledo. There will be plenty more under consideration, but those appear to be two of the top targets on the list right now. Our friends at PowerMizzou.com (our Missouri site) have even reached out to say they've even heard about mutual interest between VT and Fuente.

As I've said the whole time, I will not report rumors. But starting to get more and more info that has some legs to it. It sounds like the very earliest something could happen would be during the bye week, if it does happen during the season.

Reactions: hokiefanforlife
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News