ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: RCS Richmond***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Guys, just concluded the Rivals Camp Series stop in Richmond a little while ago. I'll be adding more to this when I get to Charlotte in a bit for tomorrow's camp. But wanted to catch you all up on some important notes from today's camp:

*As we expected, we've confirmed a lot of names for the spring game. I've seen so many guys and done a ton of interviews (video coming), so I'll be getting more in depth on who's coming. But some guys right off the bat who will be in attendance are Ricky Slade, Donovan Williams, Jalen Elliott, Devon Hunter, Kyree Campbell, Eric Crosby, Eric Kumah, Jaquan Yulee, Thomas Jarrett Hopple, Myles Wolfolk, Victor Greene and Reggie Floyd.

**The four VT commits in attendance, Floyd, Wolfolk, Greene and Hopple, all looked very impressive. Not sure what Mike Farrell has as his overall list, but it wouldn't surprise me to see all three on the top performers list for the camp, especially the first two. I will say with Hopple, he's a very nice, but quiet kid. I did a video interview with him and he says about two words for each response. And he was hesitant to jump in for reps in the OL/DL one on ones. But for the four reps he got, he looked very impressive and held his ground very well.

***Josh Ball's father caught my attention right off the bat by wearing a VT hat. I really like the Hokies' chances here. He's visiting West Virginia for the spring game April 25, but will be back at VT very soon. Just visited South Carolina yesterday, but I think VT's odds have improved here. Went against Kyree Campbell a ton and won the majority of the reps. Very strong kid who has good hands, but still needs to get a little lower. WV might actually be the team to worry most about here. His dad was actually carrying a WV sling around as well.

****There weren't many good QBs at the camp, but of the kids there, Alex Faniel looks very impressive. Big kid with good feet and a big arm. I like Donovan Williams at Hylton (Va.) a lot too. Another svelte, well-built kid who has good feet and hands.

*****The next big prospect in the state of Virginia is only a 2019 kid, LB Tayvion "Tank" Land, who VT just offered last month. He already looks like a junior or senior in high school and moves very well.

******Greene worked out uring the day at linebacker. He's been recruited as an athlete and still doesn't know where he'll play with the Hokies. I told his dad that Victor looked good at linebacker and he told me, "You should call Bud Foster and tell him!"

*******Some unfortunate news with an area player, as Lord Botetourt (Va.) DB Bradley Lythgoe, who just got an Army offer earlier in the week, looks like he had a very serious injury. We'll see after an MRI, but trainers told me they think it could be a torn ACL. Never good.

********The two most impressive receivers, hands down, were Rivals250 WR Tino Ellis and three-star Grant Holloway. The latter especially made it look easy, crushing opposing DBs on nearly every rep in one-on-ones. He ran great routes and lept to make some impressive catches over DBs. The amazing part is that this was the first football work Holloway has done since the end of the football season in November, as he's been focused on track. As I've reported, he's trying out for the US Pan Am team coming up and is probably so good of a track athlete that he might never play a down of football.

*********With Ellis, he echoed an earlier report in the week by our friends at TerrapinSportsReport.com, that he's backed off of having a top two of VT and Maryland. I still think it's between those two and will come down to those two. But I think he's hoping to put less pressure on himself, by stepping back a little bit.

**********I really think VT also has an excellent shot at 2017 five-star ATH Devon Hunter. He got an invite to the Five-Star Challenge in June in Baltimore, but said he has a great relationship with assistant coach Bryan Stinespring and will likely visit for the spring game. Long way to go, but Hokies are in excellent shape.

**********I'll mention it on a separate thread, but two big-time OL who were at the camp today will be visiting VT tomorrow, Archbishop Carroll's (DC) Jauan Williams, No. 102 in Rivals250 and four-star Richard Merritt, who was the OL MVP today. This will be the first visit to VT for both.

**********The other kid who seems very excited about VT, in 2017, is DE Eric Crosby from Ocean Lakes (Va.). In the Rivals100 to watch for 2017, he and his teammate, Khalan Laborn, also in the Rivals100, visited VT two weeks ago for the coaches clinic with their coach, Chris Scott. Both will be back at the spring game in a few weeks and I'll see Laborn at the Charlotte camp tomorrow.

***********I hate to make predictions like this, but two of the leading candidates to commit to V next are three-star WR Eric Kumah and three-star DB Jalen Elliott, Both talked very highly of the Hokies and I think are big leans to both, based on how they're talking. You'll see video interviews coming on both.

Alright guys, I'm off to Charlotte for tomorrow's camp! TONS more coverage coming here that you won't find ANYWHERE else, as these camps are exclusive to Rivals.com.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News