ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: VT Recruiting Latest***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, lots going on with VT recruiting right now and I wanted to share a few good tidbits for tonight.

First off, VT will have three official visitors tomorrow. The thinking was to get these guys on campus for the Louisville basketball game tomorrow night and to also get them in so they could get another visit this weekend. The three visitors will be Raines (Fla.) four-star WR Rick Wells, Hannibal (Mo.) three-star OL Dylan Powell and Clay-Chalkville (Ala.) three-star ATH Ty Pigrome.

Pigrome is the latest addition. I posted earlier that he was considering visiting VT tomorrow or Thursday, after talking with him earlier tonight. He text me a little while ago that he has a flight out of Birmingham in the morning that leaves at 10:06 am local (central) time. That contradicts what he told our Maryland site over the last few days, that he would visit Maryland this week and VT this weekend. The Hokies want to get him up ASAP, plus take him to the basketball game. I'm told that the Terps have promised him a shot at the starting QB spot and that right now, they arguably have only one FBS QB on the roster, so they desperately need help. But Pigrome has a very deep and strong relationship with assistant coach Holmon Wiggins from when Wiggins was at Memphis. In some ways, this will come down to whether or not Pigrome wants to play QB or do-it-all offensive skill guy, but also on relationships. As far as the latter, that's by far with VT. Tulane also the third of his finalists.

With Powell, he's still between VT, Stanford and Iowa State. Virginia for whatever reason offered today, but I'm told that it's far too late. Just not enough time for him to really consider the Hoos. He'll visit VT tomorrow through Friday and fly home Friday, then turn around and fly out to Stanford for a Saturday through Monday visit. He wants to announce Monday night when he gets home and I've gotta think the Cardinal have the edge here, coming off that visit.

Wells will visit VT tomorrow through Friday then turn around and visit Florida this weekend. He's been committed to the Gators for a year, but he really likes the idea of playing in coach Justin Fuente's offense with the Hokies. Honestly, I think this one could go either way, but our Florida site seems to think that he'll stick, as the Gators have fallen out with a lot of receiver targets. VT is reminding Wells that he's a fallback option at Florida but has been the Hokies' top receiver choice for a while.

Just confirmed literally a few minutes ago that assistant coach Charley Wiles and coach Fuente are having an in-home visit right now with Trinity Christian (Fla.) three-star linebacker Dominique Ross. He's slated to visit VT this weekend and I've gotta think the Hokies have definitely crept into the lead here. We'll see how the visit goes, but fantastic odds here for VT. I don't think Ross sticks with North Carolina at this point.

Another bit of a surprise came tonight via our friend Chris Peak at PantherLair.com, our Pitt site. Peak confirmed that though Lafayette (Va.) three-star LB Chase Pine told the Pitt coaches he was fully onboard, he now has a pair of official visits planned. He'll be at Maryland Thursday and Friday and then fly down to VT to officially visit in Blacksburg Friday through Sunday night. If Pine does follow through on all of this, the odds for the Hokies will definitely have gone up.

I've also been told my multiple sources close to the situation that four-star linebacker Keith Simms could announce as soon as Saturday. Maryland looks to have dropped out. That said, it looks like it's between VT and Oregon. Defensive coordinator Bud Foster has probably worked Simms harder than just about anyone else I've seen in the four years I've been here, save for Da'Shawn Hand. Wyatt Teller was up there, too, but Simms is in that group. And right now, I think the Hokies are clearly in the lead.

Finally, wanted to pass on that Raines (Fla.) three-star DE Jaquan Bailey will be officially visiting VT this weekend. After I spoke with him on Saturday, he decided to visit Iowa State officially the next day with his brother, three-star DT Josh Bailey. Jaquan has said that Tennessee is also in the mix, but it sounds like Josh wouldn't be a take for the Vols. That said, this is basically between Iowa State, VT and loosely, Central Florida. Iowa State is the furthest away, but the one that would for sure take both Bailey brothers. That's what the Hokies are contending with. They still don't think Josh is good enough to offer, so it's Jaquan or nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News