It is possible folks, to repeat at our house

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z7viD55XpY

This post was edited on 4/15 10:13 PM by BigDaddyHokie

Football is a game of matchups, which is why Team A can blow out Team B who blew out Team C who blew out Team A.

I don't know what kind of bizarro world this comes world this comes from, but we actually match up very well against tOSU.

Now, Wake Forest, on the other hand, appears to be the opposite case for whatever reason.

Imo we played to win against OSU, then played not to loose vs Wake Forest.

WF was a coaching blunder just like the bowl game was a coaching win.

It is possible but I tell you that Urban is a heck of a coach and he will scheme all summer on how to overcome that loss. We are not easy to pass on and we usually contain speed to the outside but we have been susceptible to runs through the line. Even in that game he learned that a mobile QB seems to give us fits. Their QB ran for way over 100 yards.
We have several new LB.'s. In the Miami game we played with a new MLB. The U toasted us on the ground right through the line. Additionally, we will have two new safeties.
I think OSU will run right at us. Our D will be very good this year but they catch us early and they will be very set on revenge. One other thing is that we played them when their O-line had four guys starting their second game. They developed quite well as the season went on.
My summary is that we will play them hard. I don't think they will run away from us but a win ,while possible ,is going to be very very hard.

Originally posted by hokiemtc:
Football is a game of matchups, which is why Team A can blow out Team B who blew out Team C who blew out Team A.

I don't know what kind of bizarro world this comes world this comes from, but we actually match up very well against tOSU.

Now, Wake Forest, on the other hand, appears to be the opposite case for whatever reason.
I don't know too much about VT beyond the game last year vs OSU. Out of curiosity, what match ups are you talking about? Not looking to troll or anything like that, just looking forward to the start of the season.

Everyone but me and 2 other people picked VT to lose last year. Hopefully VT can repeat and win again vs. the team from Ohio. and hopefully VT and Alabama can meet for National Championship.

The matchup Buckeye is your QB against our D.

Bud Foster is great at mixing up young or inexperienced QB ala your lose last year with all our picks.

Another example over time: Russell Wilson, who has been to 2 Super Bowls and won one, never beat us when he was at NC State. He threw picks and gave us games.

Originally posted by BigDaddyHokie:

Bud Foster is great at mixing up young or inexperienced QB ala your lose last year with all our picks.

Another example over time: Russell Wilson, who has been to 2 Super Bowls and won one, never beat us when he was at NC State. He threw picks and gave us games.
Problem is that we don't know which QB will be playing for OSU. Braxton is a runner par excellance. This is going to be a completely different game. Last year Urban's game plan is what beat them. He knows who we are now. I'm not saying they won't pass. They will but they will try to do it on their terms. Once again I'm not saying we can't win ,I'm just saying this is going to be a "Whole nother thing".

Originally posted by leeanderthal:

Originally posted by BigDaddyHokie:

Problem is that we don't know which QB will be playing for OSU. Braxton is a runner par excellance. This is going to be a completely different game. Last year Urban's game plan is what beat them. He knows who we are now. I'm not saying they won't pass. They will but they will try to do it on their terms. Once again I'm not saying we can't win ,I'm just saying this is going to be a "Whole nother thing".
But no one knows which Qb we will play either. Anyone who thinks Motley can't play will be fooled.

Last year the inexperience of the QB and offensive line in combination with Foster''s gameplan to take advantage of that inexperience had a huge impact. I've always said that without the VT loss I don't think OSU goes through the Big 10 unscathed which means no championship.

OSU's QB and line will be much more confident and experienced. On the other hand I don't see VT players being intimidated because of last year's win. It will be interesting to see what Foster feels he can exploit this coming season.

Originally posted by klemman:
Last year the inexperience of the QB and offensive line in combination with Foster''s gameplan to take advantage of that inexperience had a huge impact. I've always said that without the VT loss I don't think OSU goes through the Big 10 unscathed which means no championship.

OSU's QB and line will be much more confident and experienced. On the other hand I don't see VT players being intimidated because of last year's win. It will be interesting to see what Foster feels he can exploit this coming season.
Saw on espn you guys had 99,000 for the friggin spring game.......That's pretty impressive.

Originally posted by SunnyBeachWave:

Saw on espn you guys had 99,000 for the friggin spring game.......That's pretty impressive.
Maybe we can flip those first two numbers for our game.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

C'mon Hampton. You're definitely in off-season form with that attempt to insult. As far as why 99k showed up? Probably had to do with the nice weather, coming off of the National Championship, curiosity about Cardale's progression as a QB, a lot of young talent we've heard about but haven't seen yet, and there was a ton of activities going on outside of the stadium. Criticize all you want but it was a great day.

I don't know too much about VT beyond the game last year vs OSU. Out of curiosity, what match ups are you talking about? Not looking to troll or anything like that, just looking forward to the start of the season.
VT's D through the years has always been one of the fastest defenses in the country, but they are also usually a little undersized (and at linebacker, usually a lot undersized). Teams that try to finesse us or misdirection us (such as OSU running the read option last year) traditionally get swallowed up by our D and find it very hard to consistently move the ball. The flip side of that reality is that VT often has trouble with teams with big olines who line up and power straight ahead, or with teams with big receivers on vertical routes because our corners seldom have much help over the top. OSU hit a couple of those deep balls early last season when VT had the box loaded (or at least drew some penalties), but then quit throwing those passes as the game wore on, which was a big mistake. No matter who your backs are, you're not going to outrun a VT defense to the corner, and especially since the box was loaded, then OSU should've made more of an effort to beat VT over the top, which was probably there for the taking with your quality receivers last year.

Also, a lot has been made of OSU's oline struggles in that game (new faces, new QB, early in the year, so forth and so on), but not many people want to properly recognize that VT likely lined up 4 future NFL dlinemen across from OSU which greatly assisted in those struggles. Not all of those dlinemen are gone for 2015. When healthy, VT had a solid argument for fielding the best dline in the nation last season. I know it was light years better than that crap Alabama and Oregon fielded.

On the other side of the ball, I have no idea how our offense scored 28 in the horseshoe but could only manage 3 points against Wake Forest at home, but whatever it is that we do (and I swear that not even our coaches know what it is we're trying to accomplish half the time), it seemed to work against OSU's D for whatever reason. I don't expect 28 again this season (even with the game being at home), but I do expect that we'll get more than 3 and this will be a game. I've watched the game four times now trying to figure out how the VT offense managed to move the ball against OSU but stunk so bad for most of the rest of the season, and honestly, I still can't explain it.

We were not prepared to play WF in their bowl game. We took them for granted and they took us . If a team is not ready to play their best they get beat . I believe that it happened to OSU which surprises me because Urban usually has his troops ready to go. We were better than they thought we were, at least on that night.

VT certainly had talent on the D-line last season. OSU' offensive line was inexperienced against Navy, Kent State, and Maryland early in the year too, but those teams didn't come within a galaxy's proximity of having the same effect.

Last year the defense was also inexperienced in the game considering they just had there starting defensive end suspended for the year, and they had a freshman starting linebacker and 3 of the four stating defensive backs were first time starters too. But just like with the Hokie defense, your offense executed.

This season it wouldn't surprise me if OSU won a blowout, won a close one, or lost a close one. It would surprise me if the Buckeyes got blown out, but as they say, "That's why the games are played." Should be a great night for football.

I don't think you have to worry about a blow-out occuring in VT's favor. Yes everything worked last year but not all the same pieces exist this year so it is a completely different game. I think that Urban didn't feel comfortable with throwing the ball downfield and that played in our favor. He certainly won't make that mistake again. Powering straight ahead will most likely yield the best results for Ohio State. This would be a case of the run game opening up the passing game. There are still some weaknesses we have when our DB's are playing alone in space. I would not be surprised if Bud changes things up a bit but then that would depend on your success running up the middle.

I don't think our offense will fair as well this year against you. I would say I would be happy to score 17 points but not sure that will be possible. I really just hope you don't go on a tear and embarrass the heck out of us in our own house. As long as we stay within 2 touchdowns, I would be happy.

It would surprise me if the Buckeyes got blown out, but as they say, "That's why the games are played."
Yeah, that would be a huge surprise. The only way I can see that happening is if OSU has some sort of inexplicable meltdown game with turnovers, which doesn't usually happen with a Meyer coached team.

The pulse of this Hokie hopes we just hang around for a while and not do anything stupid to lose the game (we're our own worst enemy sometimes), the offense doesn't lay yet another pathetic egg on national TV like it usually does, and then we'll see what happens after that in the 4th quarter.

This is, however, a winnable game for VT for some strange reason...but just like last year, we're going to have to nail it in order to pull it off. There won't be much room for error.

Cardale gets sacked a couple times and rattled, maybe a pick or 2, and it will be interesting to see how he responds. Cardale has faced a bit a pressure, not any real adversity.

Impressive that you had 99,000 at your Spring game.

Also impressive that you had the largest crowd EVER to watch a game at the Horseshoe against us last year.

But your huge crowds are going to be far distant this Fall and are not going to help the 11 players on the field at any one time against our 11.

Your team will be better prepared against us this year we know, but we are looking forward to the challenge.

If tickets are available, a big if, I'm sure that there would be a large contingency of fans who would love to go there for a game. The Buckeyes got a taste of a hostile environment playing at PSU. Then again,outside of the VT game, that was their,worst performance.

If Cardale starts (assuming he's first string) to stumble in the game, then we may see Barrett. While that may possibly save the game, it may cause issues down the road. The hope is whomever starts, they play well enough win or lose to make it obvious that they are the number one the rest of the season.

We did not lose any of our D line from last year. We lost both safeties and several linebackers (Dinardo). We also are not sure whether Facson will be able to go at CB this year.
We were able to pass on OSU because of their DB's who were green. Thats basically how we moved the ball on them.
We were at full- strength and rested last year. OSU's biggest mistake was that they dropped passes they should have caught. Also they didn't throw any jump balls to speak of.. A mistake that was avoided by ECU.
I have watched the OSU game many times and frankly we won the game fair and square.
Against Wake we were not prepared to play the game. I do not fault the players for that. Worst game I have ever seen and inexcusable.

There are reasons why VT beat OSU, but no excuses on behalf of the Buckeyes. Again, Your coaches were able to take advantage of OSU's deficiencies. The Bear front which gave OSU fits was attempted by other teams to replicate. If the first time OSU faced those fronts were against Penn State or Michigan State, OSU doesn't go to the conference championship, the playoffs, and National Championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT