ADVERTISEMENT

It's done. The next HC at VT is Chad Morris.

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
The deal is done. Contract in the works. Yes, Bud Foster is staying put as DC.

How often am I wrong on these matters? Very, very seldom. The announcement will come after the UVA game. If we make a bowl, Coach Beamer coaches it with Morris in attendance and reporting for duty after the Bowl Game.

I know many people who know some people. This info by the way........it is from one of the BOV members who is a close and longtime family friend.

Remember what I wrote. Cut, save, paste this post. The next HC at VT is Chad Morris and Lefty is gone, and God forbid.....I hate it, but it looks like Stiney will survive again. He will be retained.

Chad got us Brewer so there is a connection and runs the spread offense. His O at SMU is ranked higher than ours. He's a good recruiter. I'm for it.

Congrats then.

Morris looks to be a solid choice and teamed with Bud Foster will quite a formidable duo. You will certainly have a different offensive look than you've had for years. Should help recruiting.

I'm a little surprised with this choice but if he keeps Bud that's a big deal.

There's no way in hell Morris comes here with the previous staff still intact and still on the payroll like that, especially for a staff that's been together for as long as this one has. He's dumber than a box of rocks if that's the case, and he'll be overwhelmingly doomed to failure before he even shows up.

Well, he did lose to James Madison just like Beamer did. That's one qualification.

I would have thought VT would do better than a guy that's been a head coach one year with a 1-7 record???? You could have gotten London, much more experience as a head coach. LOL.... If I was Bud this hire would piss me off, he's no more qualified than Bud. But who knows maybe he and Bud will make a good team, especially if Stiney stays to help the offense...

Reactions: RB4 and Flashman
I would have thought VT would do better than a guy that's been a head coach one year with a 1-7 record???? You could have gotten London, much more experience as a head coach. LOL.... If I was Bud this hire would piss me off, he's no more qualified than Bud. But who knows maybe he and Bud will make a good team, especially if Stiney stays to help the offense...

You actually make a few good points here. For a Hoo, that is. LOL. Another thing to consider is that if Morris will run out on SMU after only one year on the job, he'll also run out on Virginia Tech if something better comes along (say Texas A&M). Think about it, darlings.

P.S. Likewise for Tom Hermann

Last edited:
I like Morris being hired just fine (if that's what happens), but not Morris being hired to butt heads against Frank's staff. Hell, if we're not changing anything (which might very well be Frank's plan in all this?), then why bother getting rid of Frank at all? Frank can lose with his current staff just as well as anybody else in the country can.

When Morris overhauled the Clemson offense with Taj Boyd, I remember quite a few comments on this board (including some from myself) saying that this was the kind of guy VT needed to bring in to overhaul our offense. I still think that is true, and I'm all for it...but not under the conditions outlined above. It just simply will not work like it's written above.

Reactions: Flashman

How often am I wrong on these matters? Very, very seldom. The announcement will come after the UVA game. If we make a bowl, Coach Beamer coaches it with Morris in attendance and reporting for duty after the Bowl Game.

I know many people who know some people. This info by the way........it is from one of the BOV members who is a close and longtime family friend.

Remember what I wrote. Cut, save, paste this post. The next HC at VT is Chad Morris and Lefty is gone, and God forbid.....I hate it, but it looks like Stiney will survive again. He will be retained.
Morriis the HC and Stiney will be the OC

Reactions: HooFart

Your friend is yanking your chain. Seriously.

He got this info from either Heavner's Hardware or the McDonalds morning coffee club, but is a day late. I told them yesterday. I was in there looking for an arm extension so I can pat my own back.:rolleyes:

I will give my trust to the AD and whoever we hire I will give a chance. But I hope the fan base is prepared to be patient and allow the coach to get in people to fit whatever system he wants. I always think 5 years is fair to show some type of program improvement..

I will give my trust to the AD and whoever we hire I will give a chance. But I hope the fan base is prepared to be patient and allow the coach to get in people to fit whatever system he wants. I always think 5 years is fair to show some type of program improvement..
Unless your name is London, then it's just way to F'ing long!!!!

Reactions: RB4

We dont recruit for a "system" under Beamer for offense really so there shouldnt be much of a transition in systems. Hell, we got duel threat QBs, Pro style QBs, big RBs, AP RBs, Big tall WRs, small speedy slot type recievers, a stable of good TEs and what should be a more experienced OLine. A good offensive mind could do wonders with the athletic talent we have on offense.

Reactions: Windows NT
His record at SMU doesn't bother me. Its his first year taking over a struggling program, and "struggling" is being kind. His work at Clemson is what matters. If Whit is convinced he can recruit and can hang on to Bud then I would go for it.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
VT has the skill players now to be successful. Our schemes are what needs changing. We cannot rely on runs up middle, field goals and punts. One more TD per game over past 5 years and we would have been a Top 10 team every year.

VT has the skill players now to be successful. Our schemes are what needs changing. We cannot rely on runs up middle, field goals and punts. One more TD per game over past 5 years and we would have been a Top 10 team every year.

^^^^^^^ every sentence here is silly ^^^^^^^^

We dont recruit for a "system" under Beamer for offense really so there shouldnt be much of a transition in systems. Hell, we got duel threat QBs, Pro style QBs, big RBs, AP RBs, Big tall WRs, small speedy slot type recievers, a stable of good TEs and what should be a more experienced OLine. A good offensive mind could do wonders with the athletic talent we have on offense.
Put on some tape this year.. when we go 5 wide... we have 2 actual receivers.. then there is a FB and two TEs... We have no 3rd receiver. We actually have FBs.. Most teams go with an Hback or a slash type player now. I just want fans to be patient because I don't think it will be a plug and play type thing because it wont be.

Good for you! Gives you a ready-made scapegoat every time VT goes 3 and out...

Good for you! Gives you a ready-made scapegoat every time VT goes 3 and out...
Now, you know that ever since Stiney's been on the payroll, it's always been the players' fault that VT goes 3 and out. Just ask him, he has freely admitted it in the past.

Now, you know that ever since Stiney's been on the payroll, it's always been the players' fault that VT goes 3 and out. Just ask him, he has freely admitted it in the past.

Stiney is our next OC. Book it.
He's in the Tap House right now talking contract w/Whit & our new HC (wish I could divulge his name).
I'm sitting right beside them and can hear everything. Will share the details soon.

This may make some mad, but I think when you have a Full back on field, you are wasting a position. Granted they block, catch a pass and run ball at times, but I think a WR is more valuable.

This may make some mad, but I think when you have a Full back on field, you are wasting a position. Granted they block, catch a pass and run ball at times, but I think a WR is more valuable.

Just to be clear, are you saying we'll be better off letting Rogers sit from here on?
Or, that we'd have been better off playing another WR this year instead of him?
Or, are you making an assertion about football in general which has no application to 2015 VT?

I think he's saying that it's a square peg in a round hole type of deal. If you like to run straight ahead and establish your running game and then make heavy use of play action in the passing game, then a good fullback is house money (as are good TEs).

However, if all you're ever going to do is spread the field 4 wide and run read option, then lining up a fullback (or a TE) in the slot just doesn't make much sense when you could have a zone stretching speedster in there instead.

I'll probably need therapy after typing this, but I'm actually going to agree with HR6 on this one. Trying to somehow shoe horn a FB into the type of offense we run is just...ummm, weird.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Here's what Bitner from the Roanoke Times says about Morris: I forgot he worked for Dabo a while.

Chad Morris, SMU head coach: I've seen this name pooh-poohed on the message board, mostly because Morris is 1-7 in his first year as a head coach with the Mustangs, but the offensive improvement on that team has been noticeable (from No 128 nationally in scoring last year at 11.1 ppg to No. 68 this year at 28.8 ppg). Say Beamer announced his retirement a year ago. Wouldn't the 46-year-old Morris, the hot shot, in-demand coordinator from Clemson, have been one of the top targets? I don't see how actually adding experience as a head coach takes away from that. Morris would certainly bring a new outlook to the Hokies' offense. His groups at Clemson set all sorts of school records, and his recruiting to that system is a large part why the Tigers are in the College Football Playoff discussion this year. He's at least on good enough terms with Virginia Tech that he recommended Michael Brewer to the Hokies' staff a few years ago.

Reactions: mrjolly01
I said it before and I'll say it again. If Chad Morris will leave SMU after one year to come to Virginia Tech then you can be damn sure he'll leave Virginia Tech after two or three years should the Texas A&M (his alma mater) job come open. Hire Morris and keep a close eye on what's happening in College Station. Hope that their program doesn't begin faltering or that Kevin Sumlin doesn't decide to go elsewhere.

I said it before and I'll say it again. If Chad Morris will leave SMU after one year to come to Virginia Tech then you can be damn sure he'll leave Virginia Tech after two or three years should the Texas A&M (his alma mater) job come open. Hire Morris and keep a close eye on what's happening in College Station. Hope that their program doesn't begin faltering or that Kevin Sumlin doesn't decide to go elsewhere.

Good point and recommendation.
Always the case if you hire a hot commodity. Not a problem that should dissuade.

I think he's saying that it's a square peg in a round hole type of deal. If you like to run straight ahead and establish your running game and then make heavy use of play action in the passing game, then a good fullback is house money (as are good TEs).

However, if all you're ever going to do is spread the field 4 wide and run read option, then lining up a fullback (or a TE) in the slot just doesn't make much sense when you could have a zone stretching speedster in there instead.

I'll probably need therapy after typing this, but I'm actually going to agree with HR6 on this one. Trying to somehow shoe horn a FB into the type of offense we run is just...ummm, weird.

Fair enough, but that doesn't answer my Qs. Sometimes you have to get your best players on the field regardless of system. That's us, 2015.

Good point and recommendation.
Always the case if you hire a hot commodity. Not a problem that should dissuade.
I agree. Morris could very well return home in two years time, but in the meantime, put him to work straightening out our offense which can then be turned over to someone else to run it when he leaves. That's what happened at Clemson.

Sometimes you have to get your best players on the field regardless of system. That's us, 2015.
When one of your best players on offense is a slow, short, no star fullback playing in a spread attack, you might have some problems that need to be addressed.

I don't believe that Whit has made a final decision. I like Chad Morris and I also like Hermann, Fuente, and the dude from Toledo and Oh, I left out Kirby Smart. I do not care for RR and am not enamored with Richt.. Bottom line ,whoever Whit chooses I' ll support and I think it will be a good choice. I have a lot of faith in Whit.

Saying Morris will come and Stiney will be OC ain't happening. When coaches are hired, they bring their own guys with them. After they come on board, they might offer a position to someone from the previous staff, but they ain't letting they AD tell them who they have to keep.

I will agree with this…. I want Fuente and that will not change whether he is hired or not!

When one of your best players on offense is a slow, short, no star fullback playing in a spread attack, you might have some problems that need to be addressed.

Cody Grimm was a no star 5'11" 200 pound linebacker that became an All American and started as a rookie in the NFL. Sam is a freakish football player that in hindsight, any team in the nation would love to have. Both Cody and Sam were/are off the charts in football IQ and football instincts. Additionally, Ford, McMillian, and Hodges, are pretty solid on the offensive side as well.

Reactions: hokiemokie
Cody Grimm was a no star 5'11" 200 pound linebacker that became an All American and started as a rookie in the NFL. Sam is a freakish football player that in hindsight, any team in the nation would love to have. Both Cody and Sam were/are off the charts in football IQ and football instincts. Additionally, Ford, McMillian, and Hodges, are pretty solid on the offensive side as well.

I think Rogers would be a huge star in a heavy I formation offense with his skillset and it would make his draft status potential a whole lot more interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT