ADVERTISEMENT

Location VT: Florida Update

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
We've gone through all the recruiting areas for the Hokies, so now it's time to update. I'll be breaking down where VT stands in the states it recruits, plus DC and the northeast, since the Hokies are only up there sporadically.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Most Recent Offers:
WR Rick Wells, Raines (Fla.), four stars, No. 59 WR, No. 40 in FL -- Wiles-- FLA COMMIT
OL Jordan Johnson, Ed White (Fla.), three stars, No. 21 OG, No. 57 in FL -- Searels/Wiles
DE Jachai Polite, Mainland (Fla.), three stars, No. 36 WDE -- Wiles
OL Marcus Tatum, Mainland (Fla.), three stars -- Searels, Wiles
LB Brock Miller, John Carroll (Fla.), three stars -- Wiles
WR Jerry Jeudy, Deerfield Beach (Fla.), four stars, Rivals100 To Watch For 2017 -- Wiles
WR D.J. Matthews, First Coast (Fla.), four stars, Rivals100 To Watch For 2017 -- Wiles -- FSU COMMIT
CB Shaun Wade, Trinity Christian (Fla.), four stars, Rivals100 To Watch For 2017 -- Wiles -- OH ST COMMIT

Top targets:
WR Dredrick Snelson, Flanigan (Fla.), No. 123 in Rivals250 -- Wiles
DE Pat Bethel, Vero Beach (Fla.), four stars, No. 23 SDE, No. 30 in Fla -- Wiles
RB Jalin Buie, Trinity Christian (Fla.), No. 8 APB, No. 53 in Fla -- Wiles
TE Jacob Mathis, Berkley Prep (Fla.), three stars, No. 25 TE, No. 56 in Fla -- Gray
OL Jordan Johnson, Ed White (Fla.), three stars, No. 21 OG, No. 57 in FL -- Searels/Wiles
DT Justin Andrews, Kathleen (Fla.), three stars -- Gray/Wiles
OL Marcus Tatum, Mainland (Fla.), three stars -- Searels, Wiles
LB Brock Miller, John Carroll (Fla.), three stars -- Wiles

Recent Rivals Stories On VT FL Targets:
Snelson from Rivals.com, June 24: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1777793
Snelson from Rivals.com, June 5 Five-Star: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1772205
Wells from InsideTheGators.com, June 24: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1777797
Bethel from CaneSport.com, June 20: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1776747

Overview:
The most important development in the state by far is with Snelson. As reported earlier in the week by Rivals.com and in out INsider post, Virginia Tech has emerged as the favorite. A one-time Miami commitment, Snelson has had the Hokies among his favorites for some time now, but still, only recently has had them as a serious contender. Even at the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge presented by Under Armour, Snelson was receptive to and complementary of Virginia Tech, but it still didn't seem like he was smitten with them. Now, it's otherwise.

But don't put this one down as a definite for the Hokies. There's still some yellow flags with Snelson, one of them in why he recently transferred from national power American Heritage to Flanigan. There had been rumors that Snelson had been expelled, but he quickly post on Twitter that wasn't true. Still, while Virginia Tech is very intrigued and likes Snelson, it wants him to visit for the July 25-26 barbecue/camp weekend, get a feel for him and then go from there.

The Hokies also hosted a seven-on-seven group from Jacksonville during the second weekend of June. And with that, came a number of offers, to Wells, Jeudy, Matthews and Wade. Only Jeudy is not currently committed somewhere, but all four have at least expressed interest in Virginia Tech and were positive after their visit. Still, all four will be tough to pull in, as they each have well over double-digit offers.

Bethel remains another top target in Florida, though the challenge is still getting him to make a visit to Blacksburg. Bethel did visit Miami last weekend, a short trip for him. A planned early graduate, Bethel named a top 10 recently of Miami, Florida State, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, LSU, Clemson and Ole Miss. Though when prompted to list his top 10 in a recent video, Bethel couldn't remember the latter three schools in that list, giving an indication of where he is overall.

Also keep an eye on three new offers for 2016, Tatum, Johnson and Miller. HokieHaven.com spoke to Johnson yesterday (full story coming) and the Hokies are in ok position, but are clearly behind South Carolina at this point. The key with all three, though, is getting them to visit. All three have been invited for July 25, but it remains to be seen which players, if any of those three, will visit. But that's the weekend Virginia Tech is shooting for to get all its big targets on campus.

Rivals national team analysis:
"The standing of Virginia Tech has improved and I don't think any of us expected them to lead for Snelson. Getting a guy like that sends a message, if you're Virginia Tech and I think they will land him if something doesn't come up. As far as in the state, once you start getting top guys and landing top guys, people take notice and you can really build some momentum that way. Usually, the first one is the hardest and once you get in the door, the dominoes can fall pretty quickly.

I don't think they have much of a shot with Shaun Wade, because I think if he flips, he flips to Florida, which I expect to happen eventually and a lot of his teammates do, too. He's committed to Ohio State for now, but looking very hard at Florida. Wells seems pretty set at Florida. Dominique Ross is an interesting one. I think he's the type of guy Virginia Tech could get. He's mentioned them in the past and he's committed to North Carolina, but I don't think that's unshakeable. If they do land Snelson, that would contribute to some momentum.

Bethel is a guy who's just not there yet. You can see why college coaches like him, because in uniform, he looks like a million bucks. He's got all the things you can't teach, but when the lights come on, he just becomes another guy and he's not particularly strong for his frame right now. But you can mold him into something and he can become something, I just don't think he's the guy who gets on campus and contributes from day one."

-- Rivals.com southeast analyst Rob Cassidy

Social Media:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News