ADVERTISEMENT

On Wisconsin!!! Go Cheeseheads. A little about Harrison's comments

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
Go Badgers. A great game tonight and a great win for the Badgers. I will be rooting for the Cheeseheads for sure. Oh yea, how about those comments by Harrison from Kentucky. This stems from an underlying dissatisfaction to losing to those not like you which basically means..............racism at its core. Incredibly, somehow, someway, in the present day US of old A in 2015, the guy who calls it out and recognizes it and voices the wrongdoing.................becomes the wrongdoer! Incredible stuff? I give this post no more than 24 hours and it's gone. Sad indeed. If it happens one way, "we can't talk about." If it happens the other way, "it's fair game" and a guy like Kamiski would be suspended tonight.

On Wisconsin!

Prediction?
Devils 74, Wisconsin 70.
Objectivity always trumps emotion.
This post was edited on 4/6 6:22 PM by lucustookis

Originally posted by lucustookis:
Go Badgers. A great game tonight and a great win for the Badgers. I will be rooting for the Cheeseheads for sure. Oh yea, how about those comments by Harrison from Kentucky. This stems from an underlying dissatisfaction to losing to those not like you which basically means..............racism at its core. Incredibly, somehow, someway, in the present day US of old A in 2015, the guy who calls it out and recognizes it and voices the wrongdoing.................becomes the wrongdoer! Incredible stuff? I give this post no more than 24 hours and it's gone. Sad indeed. If it happens one way, "we can't talk about." If it happens the other way, "it's fair game" and a guy like Kamiski would be suspended tonight.

On Wisconsin!

Prediction?
Devils 74, Wisconsin 70.
Objectivity always trumps emotion.
This post was edited on 4/6 6:22 PM by lucustookis
Actually, I think it would have been racist if he had used a term traditionally reserved as a derogatory term for whites, like cracker or honkey. He would have said the same thing if it had been Okafor they were asking about and had just taken them to school in a loss, just because he was in a bad mood. It was bad sportsmanship and classless but racist isn't even logical imo.

The N word has a lot of meanings. White people shouldn't use the word because of how it was used for over 100 years as a derogatory word towards black people. A black guy calling a white guy the n word is usually not racist. I would not consider it racist if a white player called Harrison a honkey. I would be like - what?

I personally feel like no one should use the N word.

Racism does exist in all communities - many of the racists out there just hide it because they don't want to lose their jobs. The problem with our society is that black people need to understand why they are stereotyped by white people and white people need to understand why they are stereotyped by black people, etc.

I had more of a problem with half of the Kentucky team refusing to shake hands after the game.

That's one program full of character and class, from top to bottom. Not.

This discussion rarely produces any meaningful immediate positive results. Still, it remains a topic which is central to the fabric of this nation and it needs to be discussed. The country was undeniably founded and built upon this institution. Many of us would like to see it go away, which would be a great revisionist history approach if the past did not affect the present. Granted, there is nothing that can be done to un-do what has happened. However, to assume that everyone can and should just get on living is a little short-sighted and missing the point.
The present is better. The country has definitely improved in terms of racial issues. Frustration stems from perceptions from one point of view that things are well (not just better, but well). This country is well over 200 years old, yet well less than 50 years where equal justice can even be truly expected by minorities. The meaning is that there are many still with us who actually lived through much of the overt social injustices up through the 50s and 60s. There are many more who have incountered "social mobility detours/stop signs" in the 70s and 80s. The subtle things such as how destructive elements can influx a poorer neighborhood are simplytoo numerous to explore here.
Ultimately, vtpmt81 has a good "take" on the Harrison story. The only thing which may "cause to pause" is the stereotype part of the comment. The problem is not simply and never will be simple. That's because it is fundamentally inherent in American society. The country was literally built on the concept of Manifest Destiny. We hear of people... politicians (are they really people, hmmm?) pointing to the 50s as the good old days. I wasn't there, but I'd bet they weren't good for everybody. Understanding is needed for sure. However, I think it needs to be an historical understanding of how this country was truly built. For perspective, I have heard how Hitler at one time actually admired how the US was handling their race issues. It's never good to be on the same side as Hitler.
Harrison was ignorant in using the language. I feel any who use that language are ignorant. I think understanding the history of this country and the racial ramifications of 2 centuries of legislation would deter anyone from using that specific language. However, I do not believe he was being racist in his use of that language.
Sorry for the length. It kinda struck a nerve... had to write about it a little.

He was a reflection of Kentucky's program, and the players refusing to shake hands was another reflection. I have maintained for years, KY is a dirty program.

Kentucky and their coach is what's wrong with college basketball.....so glad they lost. Can't believe nothing will be done to Harrison for his comments and half the team leaving the court without shaking hands is a disgrace to college athletes everywhere. What a joke of a program......I'm sure they are following the leadership of their low end coach.

I don't know what it is about the state of Kentucky. Both of their big schools, UK and Loueyville are scumbag schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT