ADVERTISEMENT

Question on Shane Beamer

Dec 5, 2005
His name is being bantered about here at South Carolina. Not clear yet what position. He was greatly admired when he was here a few years ago and serving as recruiting coordinator. Brought in a lot of studs. Is he likely to be offered a position on Fuentes' staff or do you all see him going elsewhere?

Congrats on the hire and thanks for your feedback.

At the moment, we've heard of one definite retainee and two other possible retainees, and Shane isn't on that list. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, but I'd say the chances of Shane hanging around are pretty slim at this point.

Good luck, and I hope he ably fills whatever need your new staff has for him.

I think since Shane hasn't picked up the stuff necessary to move up despite working in some good programs; perhaps he should HC at high school for a while to 'get the whole picture'.

Last edited:
I thought he did a pretty lousy job managing our RB's this year....everyone said he could recruit etc....haven't really seen that here at VT. Last year he landed 1 recruit (yes he looks like he'll be a good one) and this year he has gotten 1 verbal. Back in 2014 he landed a couple of decent kids, though a few of them have already left the program, not really his fault.

Underwhelming.

Reactions: Jackcrow
I was very high on him until the screwed up running back rotation at start of season. No matter how good or bad your RBs are, find one to start and give him the __________ball.

The decline of Virginia Tech football began when Frank Beamer forced longtime RB coach Billy Hite into retirement so that he could hire Shane in his place.

Reactions: RB4
Well when Hite was active a ton of people were on the boards after his a--. One thing is that he hated to travel and recruit but he knew what he was doing coaching wise. Shane actually had the RB's screwed up last season also. He;s sharp though , I thought he did a great job of getting our team ready to play and win our bowl game.

His name is being bantered about here at South Carolina. Not clear yet what position. He was greatly admired when he was here a few years ago and serving as recruiting coordinator. Brought in a lot of studs. Is he likely to be offered a position on Fuentes' staff or do you all see him going elsewhere?

Congrats on the hire and thanks for your feedback.
You'd do well to get Shane back.

Don't listen to the simplistic and ignorant answers that blame our decline on Shane. Truth is, our decline started almost as soon as we rose to national prominence. When we should have ramped up our recruiting we pretty much either stayed the course or dialed it down, doing nothing aggressive or innovative -- ever. Relatively shortly after our rise under Frank, our RB coach (Billy Hite) wanted a pass from the recruiting trail and Frank allowed it. There may have been good reasons for him not to travel, but those would be the very same good reasons for him to be off the staff. Also, from the beginning, staff seemed to have been judged on Xs & Os only (coaching/teaching ability), but never held accountable for the (arguably) more important task of recruiting with success. We kept guys who were good coaches and coordinators, but below average recruiters. These were simultaneously skills that kept us afloat and the seeds of our demise.

Add to that some odd stuff we did (not strictly chronological):
We hired an inexperienced coach (Stinespring) to be our OC. He wasn't great, but contra many Hokie fans, neither was he our biggest problem. Still, his selection was not our best available choice.
Then there's the fact that Frank built a brand on (among other things) ST and great D. Tht's fine, but then we stopped putting our best athletes on ST. It showed up big time. For years espn babbled on about our ST's; meanwhile we all knew they sucked.
We gave our RB coach (the aforementioned Billy Hite, who is great guy, btw) the power to change plays on the sideline, plays our OC called from the booth. No kidding. How much he did is anybody's guess, but I've been told it was not rare.
We removed our best recruiter out of our most fertile area. A wrist-cutting exercise.
There's more, but you get the idea. No single death blow. More like death by 1,000 cuts

One external factor: for reasons not entirely clear (to me) the most prominent 7 on 7 coaches located in our most fertile recruiting territory (757) did everything they could to keep kids from going to VT. They were fairly successful at it, too. So, Shane's recruiting (like the rest of our staff) has suffered the last 2-3 years for these reasons, and to a significant degree because of Frank's impending retirement. That was a card other programs played against us with great success.

Shane has the "it" factor; he'll be a great asset wherever he goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: B1dee and 1bburgfan
We removed our best recruiter out of our most fertile area. A wrist-cutting exercise.
There's more, but you get the idea. No single death blow. More like death by 1,000 cuts

One external factor: for reasons not entirely clear (to me) the most prominent 7 on 7 coaches located in our most fertile recruiting territory (757) did everything they could to keep kids from going to VT. They were fairly successful at it, too.

Who was our best recruiter? Stinespring?

Also, there have been lots of rumors about those 7on7 coaches and the influence that can be bought by people such as the "godfather." It's hard to compete against that when do your best to run a clean program and do things the right way.

Reactions: Salemite
Shane is in a "holding " mode here at VT. Not going to be kept by the New Staff. Which Is a Very Smart move. And where he goes, I have no Clue But If he is such a good coach. Then He should have no problems, Standing on your own Two Feet and Not your Name is next for Him. And I Notice the Defender has posted But Shane Was and Is Not a RB Coach, proven that here at VT . Time For Him to move on , Maybe his Uncle can get him sit up in selling Insurance....Carry On.

Shane is in a "holding " mode here at VT. Not going to be kept by the New Staff. Which Is a Very Smart move. And where he goes, I have no Clue But If he is such a good coach. Then He should have no problems, Standing on your own Two Feet and Not your Name is next for Him. And I Notice the Defender has posted But Shane Was and Is Not a RB Coach, proven that here at VT . Time For Him to move on , Maybe his Uncle can get him sit up in selling Insurance....Carry On.
Recognize the ad hominem argument here for what it is -- lack of substance.
Carrying on...

Last edited:

Also, there have been lots of rumors about those 7on7 coaches and the influence that can be bought by people such as the "godfather." It's hard to compete against that when do your best to run a clean program and do things the right way.
I'd say Stiney was our best recruiter, but you can certainly make a case for Cav. Nobody else imo.
These would be 1 & 1A however you ranked them.

Recognize the ad hominem argument here for what it is -- lack of substance.
Carrying on...
Plenty of True Substance . 99% of VT fans Knows It too. Sorry if the Truth hurts a little. I wish the Best For Shane Beamer and I hope he finds a landing spot for Sure. He needs to plow his own row for awhile...

I wish NCAA would investigate the "Godfather". Lot of illegal stuff happening. Wonder how the QB from Alabama transferred ?

I'd say Stiney was our best recruiter, but you can certainly make a case for Cav. Nobody else imo.
These would be 1 & 1A however you ranked them.

I think Cav was terrific, and people responded well to him from what I hear. Stinespring was a very different story...he was relatively smooth talking compared to the rest of the staff, but my impression was that there was a deep distrust or dislike for him by several influential coaches in the 757. My impression is that is what doomed recruiting under the old regime. The change was made a little too late to offset the influence being peddled by others.

If you put HR6 and Lucus in a room together, I'm sure they could piece together a lot of the story around this.

Bye Bye Shane.. he is a good guy. .but he did ruin our RB position. He wanted to do do WAAAY too much, to I guess prove that he is coaching but he made it too difficult. Find the best one no matter how many stars they had in recruiting and you give them the ball. And you tell the next guy to stand beside me on the sideline until that guy taps his helmet... Hite was a great RB coach and is very missed I never complained about him and I dont remember anyone calling for him to go.. we had a rep of RB getting drafted in first two rounds of Draft. It took Shane mid-season before he realized something most fans realized week 2. but we had to watch J.C. get 1.5 yards a carry and still watching FB at TB. His recruiting was not that great either. He pulled some OK talent to VT but part of our decline was because of downward trend in recruiting. I want the best for him but you get criticism when you earn it and no since in beating around the bush his job performance at VT is a C- to a D in my opinion.

Last edited:
Plenty of True Substance . 99% of VT fans Knows It too. Sorry if the Truth hurts a little. I wish the Best For Shane Beamer and I hope he finds a landing spot for Sure. He needs to plow his own row for awhile...
your version of "truth" doesn't hurt me
have at it
he plowed his own at USCe and VT

If you put HR6 and Lucus in a room together, I'm sure they could piece together a lot of the story around this.
I'm betting that would be a fun conversation to overhear
There were only a few clearly nefarious characters who disliked Stiney
race played a role even if it's now denied

Reactions: 1bburgfan

tell me some more about "the godfather"
thx

Something (other than football) has to draw recruits there. But then again maybe the guys UVA recruits don't want to travel to bowl games in late December or early January. They might have a good bowling alley in Charlottesville that they had rather go to. Who knows ?

Reactions: RB4
I'm not really sure what you're talking about
Ask HR....he believes a certain gentlemen in the tidewater area known as the God Father has directed certain recruits to UVA. He doesn't believe it has all been above the table, LOL. He doesn't understand that for all his faults London is a good recruiter. And I would be surprised if someone doesn't give him a job on defense but mainly for his recruiting.

Ask HR....he believes a certain gentlemen in the tidewater area known as the God Father has directed certain recruits to UVA. He doesn't believe it has all been above the table, LOL. He doesn't understand that for all his faults London is a good recruiter. And I would be surprised if someone doesn't give him a job on defense but mainly for his recruiting.
Given what we know of AAU basketball, it doesn't seem a stretch that there'd be such stuff

Based on a couple articles I have read, UVA has no idea who they want other than Mark Richt. Once he went to Miami, UVA was back at Square 1. Looks as if they're seeing who other schools interview, then send out feelers to those. Truth be known they have no idea who they want

Based on a couple articles I have read, UVA has no idea who they want other than Mark Richt. Once he went to Miami, UVA was back at Square 1. Looks as if they're seeing who other schools interview, then send out feelers to those. Truth be known they have no idea who they want
LOL....I'm sure you have the inside scoop. I know 3 that they are considering but I guess I should believe you and your opinion....yea right.

LOL....I'm sure you have the inside scoop. I know 3 that they are considering but I guess I should believe you and your opinion....yea right.
The main problem is the decision maker. He knows what he wants, but there is no such coach presently available. I heard a rumor that Mike Smith, Hampton HS coach, is still interested.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
The main problem is the decision maker. He knows what he wants, but there is no such coach presently available. I heard a rumor that Mike Smith, Hampton HS coach, is still interested.
I would say the Temple coach would be a good get for sure, just ask Fuente.....not saying UVA gets him but he would be good. Still believe Mullins leaves MSU as well, another good one. Riley is getting a lot of interest from teams as well. Calhoun has done a great job at Air Force and I Believe he would move. Still some good coaches out there.....now with that said we probably hire the Hampton High coach.

The big question is who is in charge at Hooville ? Littlepage or Oliver ? I heard Oliver was leading search. The AD should be in charge. Everyone should read article in today's Roanoke or Danville paper on interview with Barry Word.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
The big question is who is in charge at Hooville ? Littlepage or Oliver ? I heard Oliver was leading search. The AD should be in charge. Everyone should read article in today's Roanoke or Danville paper on interview with Barry Word.
HR I agree 100% on this post....real problem at UVA is Oliver, don't understand his role at all. Littlepage has shown he can hire good/great coaches but having Oliver involved with the football hirings has been a joke. Really thought he might get fired with London. I know they have brought Welsh in to consult this time but I worry no one will listen to him with Ollie around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT