ADVERTISEMENT

Screw it, the transfer portal has ruined college football!

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
Half the ones we get don't stay or work out. (Herbert and Blackshear did)

Once they transfer here they'll leave us for any reason.

I care about sports in general less and less the older I get.

Microwave society. Everybody wants it NOW and what's worse they think they are entitled to it.

Half the ones we get don't stay or work out. (Herbert and Blackshear did)

Once they transfer here they'll leave us for any reason.

I care about sports in general less and less the older I get.
For some reason everyone thinks they should be playing on a national championship team and then starting for an NFL team. If that is the case, then transfer to one of the following - AL, GA, Ohio State and maybe Clemson, Notre Dame, Ok, LSU and a few others from time to time.

The recruiting is the same thing. I know to win at the highest level you need 4* and 5* recruits, but I do not know which of the recruits will be successful at the next level. AL has multiple 4* and 5* recruits and then plays the ones that play the best (some others wait their turn and others transfer). So the transfer portal makes sense for those players. It doesn't make sense for others at other schools.

I, like you, are starting to care less because the players care less about the team and more about themselves. Maybe this is a good thing. Maybe we have made sports too important. To me sports is very in the moment (the game I am watching and the next play). To me it is entertainment (I do not get caught up in the hype). I will watch the MD-VT game and hopefully be entertained. I do not believe VT will ever compete for a national championship in the near future and with the current format, but I can enjoy the next game.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
I still love college sports but I swear sometimes I wonder if the games aren't scripted and were just fools with nothing else to do but watch them out of culture and habit.

It's going to take one staff to do nothing except follow and recruit the portal since it changes daily.
Whoever that staff member is better land a quality QB soon or we are screwed next season.

It's going to take one staff to do nothing except follow and recruit the portal since it changes daily.
Whoever that staff member is better land a quality QB soon or we are screwed next season.
Agreed. Does anyone know why initially Hooker and then Burmeister wanted to transfer out? If I am not mistaken, both were starters at the time yet both wanted to leave. Was there a problem with the coaching staff?

Hooker wanted to transfer out a sit a year because he wasn't starting like 3 years ago, but Fuente talked him into coming back. Then he started a year and did well as I remember but had problems concentrating and holding on to the ball in the next to the last game last year so Burmeister stepped in and did well the last game and the bowl game. Hooker got mad and took his football to Tennessee where he was sitting the bench until the starter got hurt. Hooker looked good from there on. I don't know what Burmeister is thinking as he has had all the chances a player could want.

Last edited:
Because the offense ran through the OC not the QB. They carried out his play with no discretion and no input in the game. Hooker basically said he gets to play for himself and his team and not somebody else. Evan's has said this for years. Ran for a TD instead of passing it and had to run Monday at practice as punishment.
Hooker went in during the Pitt game and provided some stability when the starting QB kept missing wide open recievers.
Agreed. Does anyone know why initially Hooker and then Burmeister wanted to transfer out? If I am not mistaken, both were starters at the time yet both wanted to leave. Was there a problem with the coaching staff?

I keep hearing rumors of every QB in the portal except what should be the obvious Roberson from PSU. Now I'm hearing Brown from USCe.
Damn, is Bullock that bad? Hes been here 2 years and was a top 20 duel threat QB.

I also think it sucks that we redshirt a kid and pay for everything for a year and he takes off his last year with his degree and uses his last year of eligibility to play right away. The NCAA is out of its mind.

Maybe the Georgia Southern QB follows his position coach to VT?
Brown from USCe sure wants to be a Hokie. Strikes me as a kid that would give 100% and be willing to wait his turn to see the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT