ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Reflections

Hampton Roads 6

Hokie Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2003
Come September, I think Evans will be starting QB. He throws ball good.
We should be strong at RB, if they all stay healthy. I was impressed with Coleman Fox. Not sure what defense he ran against Saturday, but I liked the way he hit the hole.
The backup WRs looked good. Once we get all our WRs on field, we will have best downfield passing game we have had in years. No more running on first/second down and throwing a short pass on 3rd down.

Fuente's offense runs more than it passes. But I do think we will not be prisoners of the prior system.

So do you guys think Daisy will take you back to the top? Going to be interesting to watch VT fans with a new coach....will the fans be patient if he doesn't win right away? The schedule is favorable for his first year, don't see you losing more than 3 games....what do you guys think?.....I see loses to UT, ND and one more that you shouldn't lose.

Reactions: 7 maxims
So do you guys think Daisy will take you back to the top? Going to be interesting to watch VT fans with a new coach....will the fans be patient if he doesn't win right away? The schedule is favorable for his first year, don't see you losing more than 3 games....what do you guys think?.....I see loses to UT, ND and one more that you shouldn't lose.
Depends on how you define winning. 9-3 would be a good start. Our fans will be patient as long as the program's heading in the right direction. He's in a good position to improve the program from where Beamer left it - a team struggling to be .500 and get to a bowl. I don't see us taking a step backwards from there. We need to see improvement. He may not beat UT or ND, but if he makes us relative in the Coastal chase again I think that's what most of our fans are hoping for as soon as possible.

I just hope we look good in the UT and ND games. Our new coach will get 4-5 years to get it done which is the VT gentleman's way. And he will.

UT and ND. I despise both teams. I put them right up there with Ohio State and UVA as teams I despise. The ACC should not be playing ND or TN in any sport. Nor Ohio State for that matter . TN and OS are crooked schools that are known cheaters. ND has not been caught cheating, but the way NCAA kisses their butt, they probably never check to see if the Golden Doomers are going by the rules.

As long as Bud hangs around, I think we now have the ingredients required on both sides of the ball to return to being a top 10 program.

But not right away.

It's nice to have that potential for a change, but it still has to progress from just being potential to being reality, and that might take some time. Our record will probably be better this year than what we really are, so it could be tricky judging progress this season.

And I wouldn't count UT as a loss. The UT team we beat 37-14 (10-3) was better than this year's UT team will be, especially considering that they have a dumpster fire at QB right now.

Does anyone have a handle on how the offensive line played? I feel this is the most important issue in determining how our season will go. We have had excellent skill players before but spent their lives scrambling for their lives because of poor line play. To me we simply must have significant and meaningful improvement of the offensive line before we will see improvement in the W-L department.

I am not an O line guru, but the QBs seemed to have time to throw the ball in my opinion.

I always joke that if the O line not be on field I would never notice. I focus on who has the ball 99.9% of the time, and 99% of that on the QB.

As long as Bud hangs around, I think we now have the ingredients required on both sides of the ball to return to being a top 10 program.

But not right away.

It's nice to have that potential for a change, but it still has to progress from just being potential to being reality, and that might take some time. Our record will probably be better this year than what we really are, so it could be tricky judging progress this season.

And I wouldn't count UT as a loss. The UT team we beat 37-14 (10-3) was better than this year's UT team will be, especially considering that they have a dumpster fire at QB right now.
For accuracy's sake, that UT team finished 7-6 and you guys won 37-14. This team has a lot more talent. We started two walk on offensive linemen in that game. We had three what I would call very good players who were drafted in Eric Berry, Dan Williams and Montario Hardesty. The rest were average at best. You'll get a good idea about this team's talent level in the next couple of drafts. We have 6 players and maybe more that will get drafted in the 2017 draft alone.

But not right away.

But not right away.

Dumpster fire at QB? You must be thinking about aTm! UT's QB is considered by many to be the 2nd best QB in the SEC behind Kelly.

But not right away.

But not right away.

Only way VT has a shot is if they bring back uncle Kevin

Tennessee will annihilate the tiny Hokies. Gobble gobble

But not right away.

Dumpster fire at QB?......ESPN has our qb as the number 3 qb for the draft next year....I think you're confused....

But not right away.

You have no idea about Tennessee. Hopefully there will still be a game by halftime. GBO

Tennessee has the potential to be in the playoffs this season.

Virginia Tech, not so much. But this event is an incredible opportunity for both teams to show out in front of a gigantic crowd and insane viewing audience.

But not right away.

giphy.gif

Reactions: clad_in_big_orange
Nice to see a bunch of UTenn fans dig up a 2 month old thread and post 10 add-ons to it.

I was talking about the dud Dobbs at QB. If you guys have replaced him, then I take back what I said about the dumpster fire, and this might actually be a good game.

If you haven't replaced him, then quit polluting the board trying to pull the wool over knowledgable fans' eyes about how good he is. I've seen UTenn play several times over the last few years, and Dobbs, Ferguson, Peterson, Bray and Worley all combined couldn't add up to be a bucket of suck. None of these scrubs would've ever seen the field at VT, and we're not exactly QB U these days.

So...just for fun, I looked it up...last year Dobbs finished as the 8th best passer in the worst passing league in the country (in his THIRD year as a starter)...and yet some of you clueless clowns think he's going to be a high draft pick? LOL, holy geez, I think I've heard it all now. Lay off the crackpipe, people.

Reactions: salemfan32
We should be strong at RB, if they all stay healthy. I was impressed with Coleman Fox. Not sure what defense he ran against Saturday, but I liked the way he hit the hole.
The backup WRs looked good. Once we get all our WRs on field, we will have best downfield passing game we have had in years. No more running on first/second down and throwing a short pass on 3rd down.

But not right away.

Gobble Gobble Gobble. Hokies swallow

For accuracy's sake, that UT team finished 7-6 and you guys won 37-14. This team has a lot more talent.
Correct, good catch on the record. 10-3 was VT's record that year, not UTenn's. The score was correct, though. Somehow?

I don't think anyone here will doubt the talent is there. Butch's recruiting classes have been respectable, and UTenn will almost certainly have a talent advantage against VT (our recruiting classes have sunk like a rock the last few years). However, at some point in time, the talent has to be utilized, and Butch hasn't shown he can do that to date. Now, having said that...our guys are new (coach AND QB), so I don't expect us to be firing on all cylinders yet on offense. I guess I'm expecting it to be low scoring, since there's no way in heck your very limited offense will have much luck against what is shaping up to be one of the best D's we've had in some time, and I'll be happy if our offense can string together enough first downs to put up some FGs.

Ah man, this one could be an offensive stinker on national TV. Great.

Nice to see a bunch of UTenn fans dig up a 2 month old thread and post 10 add-ons to it.

I was talking about the dud Dobbs at QB. If you guys have replaced him, then I take back what I said about the dumpster fire, and this might actually be a good game.

If you haven't replaced him, then quit polluting the board trying to pull the wool over knowledgable fans' eyes about how good he is. I've seen UTenn play several times over the last few years, and Dobbs, Ferguson, Peterson, Bray and Worley all combined couldn't add up to be a bucket of suck. None of these scrubs would've ever seen the field at VT, and we're not exactly QB U these days.

So...just for fun, I looked it up...last year Dobbs finished as the 8th best passer in the worst passing league in the country (in his THIRD year as a starter)...and yet some of you clueless clowns think he's going to be a high draft pick? LOL, holy geez, I think I've heard it all now. Lay off the crackpipe, people.

You should be banned for being stupid. Nice try. Not saying Dobbs is great, but our offense is pretty good with him at qb.

Good description of what happened, are you the guy who posts nutrition facts on my yoo-hoo? Your understanding of what you're witnessing is second to Jim Conleys.

Your knowledge of the Vols is non-existent. Prepare your anus.

Correct, good catch on the record. 10-3 was VT's record that year, not UTenn's. The score was correct, though. Somehow?

I don't think anyone here will doubt the talent is there. Butch's recruiting classes have been respectable, and UTenn will almost certainly have a talent advantage against VT (our recruiting classes have sunk like a rock the last few years). However, at some point in time, the talent has to be utilized, and Butch hasn't shown he can do that to date. Now, having said that...our guys are new (coach AND QB), so I don't expect us to be firing on all cylinders yet on offense. I guess I'm expecting it to be low scoring, since there's no way in heck your very limited offense will have much luck against what is shaping up to be one of the best D's we've had in some time, and I'll be happy if our offense can string together enough first downs to put up some FGs.

Nothing you've said is accurate. Why you'd pretend to know what you're talking about is something we'd need to study the inside of your shorts to determine; I do have a hunch, a tiny, lonely, 3in hunch. It's not the size of the hunch that counts. Your ability to Google is enviable. In the future you could try watching a game. It's not for everyone, but knowing something about the topic would strengthen your argument.

You know uncle Kevin? I'll tell him you said, "sup". You seem like a guy who says, "sup". I like that about you.

Hmmm...correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Tennessee's offense tops in the SECE last year and 2nd or 3rd overall in the SEC?

For accuracy's sake, that UT team finished 7-6 and you guys won 37-14. This team has a lot more talent. We started two walk on offensive linemen in that game. We had three what I would call very good players who were drafted in Eric Berry, Dan Williams and Montario Hardesty. The rest were average at best. You'll get a good idea about this team's talent level in the next couple of drafts. We have 6 players and maybe more that will get drafted in the 2017 draft alone.
:)

The last Vols team that you guys played is not half as good as this year's team minus Eric Berry. This is the most talented Vols team since the 2000 season.

Dobbs is a bigger threat running the ball than Vick was (more power and stamina), plus he has two NFL running backs to hand the ball to.

Isn't that why they play the game, can't assume just because last yr was an ok season that this season will be great. OSU for example was supposed to crush VT and yet got beat on its own field.

Isn't that why they play the game, can't assume just because last yr was an ok season that this season will be great. OSU for example was supposed to crush VT and yet got beat on its own field.
True, and I think your new coach will definitely bring it. However, we have high hopes for a 15-0 season.

If by that you mean the Vols are running for at least 300 yards then sure...it'll be a stinker.

But not right away.

You are CLUELESS!!! 4 of those guys are not on our roster! Did you watch the Taxslayer Bowl in 15' TN vs Iowa? Fianl TN 45 IA 28 Or perhaps the outback bowl 16' vs the #13 ranked NW Wildcats? Final TN 45 NW 6 we did this with our "dud" Dobbs and you Sir are an idiot! Check this out, the QB that transfered from TN Peterman he is projected #12 for the Draft by CBS (although I don't hold any stock in that number) And Dobbs is #3, However, Look where Brett Motley is....#40? LOL....Keep talking smack though! You are very entertaining.

Here's the link for your viewing pleasure:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/QB

I hope you are at Bristol to witness the curbstomp yourself!

Our very limited offense? Virgin Tech's D? Wow, you really are just making things up aren't you?

Our very limited offense? Virgin Tech's D? Wow, you really are just making things up aren't you?

Let's put it this way...in terms that even a Vol fan can understand. Last year, VT's starting QB missed more than 1/2 the season, and he wasn't even all that good to begin with. None of the backups had ever played much before (one of them was even a freshman), and they stumbled and bumbled about and generally made a real mess of things. Our head coach then retired and the sorry-assed OC was then run out of town. Our oline stunk. Our QBs stunk. Our running game stunk. Our playcalling stunk. Everything stunk. It was painful to watch, and our offense set college football back at least two decades.

VT scored 4 less points per game last year than UTenn did.

SO...VT overhauled EVERYTHING on the offense side of the ball in the off-season trying to find the slightest hint of competence somewhere. New coaches, new schemes, new players, new everything. What did UTenn do in the off-season to fix their offense? Pat Dobbs on the back and tell him he's better than Mike Vick? Wow...nice plan. You guys have it figured out for sure.

Let's put it this way...in terms that even a Vol fan can understand. Last year, VT's starting QB missed more than 1/2 the season, and he wasn't even all that good to begin with. None of the backups had ever played much before (one of them was even a freshman), and they stumbled and bumbled about and generally made a real mess of things. Our head coach then retired and the sorry-assed OC was then run out of town. Our oline stunk. Our QBs stunk. Our running game stunk. Our playcalling stunk. Everything stunk. It was painful to watch, and our offense set college football back at least two decades.

VT scored 4 less points per game last year than UTenn did.

SO...VT overhauled EVERYTHING on the offense side of the ball in the off-season trying to find the slightest hint of competence somewhere. New coaches, new schemes, new players, new everything. What did UTenn do in the off-season to fix their offense? Pat Dobbs on the back and tell him he's better than Mike Vick? Wow...nice plan. You guys have it figured out for sure.

Our defense blew 4th qtr leads to both College Football Playoff Teams Oklahoma (Lost by 7)and Alabama (Lost by 5) so how do you put that on Dobbs Hokie?

Lost to a 10-4 Florida team on the road
Lost to a 8-5 Arkansas team in Neyland stadium
Beat a 10-3 UGA team in Neyland stadium
Beat a 5-7 UK team on the road
Beat a 3-9 USCe team in Neyland stadium
Beat a 5-7 Mizzu team on the road
Beat a 4-8 Vandy team in Neyland stadium
Lost to 14-1 Bama on the road

UT basically had one win over a SEC team with a winning record and that was UGA at home in Neyland stadium by 7pts.

UT has alot of talent and I personally like their coach but lets keep it real, they are not the worldbeaters that their goofy ass fans claim and they still have alot to prove.

Our defense blew 4th qtr leads to both College Football Playoff Teams Oklahoma (Lost by 7)and Alabama (Lost by 5) so how do you put that on Dobbs Hokie?
Dobbs was pathetically invisible in both games (13 of 31 for 125 yds against OU - yikes that's bad, like QBR of 20.5 bad - and 13 of 22 for 171 yds against Bama - QBR of 49.9). If you guys had a 3 year starting QB that could fall out of his own way, you would've won both games, because the defense absolutely rocked in both of them.

Oh, and as for that 300 yard rushing prediction I saw above, that poster should do himself a favor and not bet a paycheck on it. Against Power 5 competition last year:

Oklahoma - 161 yds
Florida - 254 yds
Arkansas - 133 yds
Georgia - 207 yds
Alabama - 132 yds
Kentucky - 249 yds
USC-E - 153 yds
Missouri - 248 yds
Vandy - 331 yds
Northwestern - 226 yds

Unfortunately for you guys, VT's defense is a tad bit better than Vandy's defense, so you can forget about getting 300. You'll be doing damn good to hit 150, and there won't be but a couple of our opponents next year that will match it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT