ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Bill Roth really leave?

Why did Bill Roth really leave?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What do you think the real reason was for Roth's departure?
Don't understand the purpose of the question, is this some kind of wacky conspiracy theory thing?
Bill makes his living in media, in this case radio sports. He was offered the opportunity to work in the second largest radio market in the US, probably for substantially more monet than he makes in Blacksburg/Roanoke. Just for comparison, Blacksburg is the 221st largest radio market in the US while Roanoke is the 112th.
Add to that the fact that he does have family in Southern California and it should be pretty clear why he moved.
Nobody in his right mind could pass up an opportunity like that!

Don't understand the purpose of the question, is this some kind of wacky conspiracy theory thing?
Bill makes his living in media, in this case radio sports. He was offered the opportunity to work in the second largest radio market in the US, probably for substantially more monet than he makes in Blacksburg/Roanoke. Just for comparison, Blacksburg is the 221st largest radio market in the US while Roanoke is the 112th.
Add to that the fact that he does have family in Southern California and it should be pretty clear why he moved.
Nobody in his right mind could pass up an opportunity like that!

The question is pretty simple. The poster is asking why he left suggesting the reason he left may not all have been about family in LA or anything we have heard publicly. It's a fair question and he is not suggesting some wacky conspiracy theory. The question is a good one because of the tenure length Roth had at Virginia Tech. Because of that long association, the question is not unreasonable for exploration. My take on it would be......family. Bill Roth has all the money he wants and needs at his age, and I don't think money or the "media market" had much weight. These are only my opinions of course. I think family was the overriding factor. One more thing, you wrote that "Nobody in his right mind could pass up.....". This is a ........false assumption to write, "Nobody." I can tell you personally I would not live anywhere near LA. I don't like the culture, don't like most of the people, don't like the crime, and it's just not my cup of tea. There are many who feel much different than me. There are also many who feel the same.

The question is pretty simple. The poster is asking why he left suggesting the reason he left may not all have been about family in LA or anything we have heard publicly. It's a fair question and he is not suggesting some wacky conspiracy theory. The question is a good one because of the tenure length Roth had at Virginia Tech. Because of that long association, the question is not unreasonable for exploration. My take on it would be......family. Bill Roth has all the money he wants and needs at his age, and I don't think money or the "media market" had much weight. These are only my opinions of course. I think family was the overriding factor. One more thing, you wrote that "Nobody in his right mind could pass up.....". This is a ........false assumption to write, "Nobody." I can tell you personally I would not live anywhere near LA. I don't like the culture, don't like most of the people, don't like the crime, and it's just not my cup of tea. There are many who feel much different than me. There are also many who feel the same.
Actually, this was a sarcastic poll set up by someone who is now banned. I modified the answers but #2 wasn't originally "couldn't". I cut out the rest of the sentence, but it was pretty bad.

Was it 'close family" or 3rd cousins or something ? Leaving ACC country for PAC 10 country is a step down in my opinion. PAC 10 is over rated in everything. almost as over rated as Little 10. Now if he had gone to SEC it might have made sense.

A chance to do radio for UCLA? After 25 years of same-old, same-old in Blacksburg? All that sun and nice weather? Major league sports? A new challenge?

I too wonder why he left.

IMHO, He left because he wanted another challenge in his business. Some times people get at a age they want to see another challenge in their field of work before they retire. Times are changing at VT in every department , lots of people are retiring and new folks coming in. Bill was one of the best If not the best we have had at VT so far. Good Luck to him and his West Coast Job !

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
IMHO, He left because he wanted another challenge in his business. Some times people get at a age they want to see another challenge in their field of work before they retire. Times are changing at VT in every department , lots of people are retiring and new folks coming in. Bill was one of the best If not the best we have had at VT so far. Good Luck to him and his West Coast Job !
Good post Jack.

Reactions: Jackcrow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT