ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Frank Beamer Update***

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, dm4vtdu has had some great stuff, but wanted to add some stuff that I've gotten from some very good sources. Apparently, coach Frank Beamer was approached this weekend, after the Duke loss, about retiring, by a few prominent boosters. Athletics director Whit Babcock also spoke to Beamer, though I'm told he's not the main one who approached Beamer about retiring. There's growing support among even those who have been in Beamer's corner that it's time to retire. They'd like him to announce it officially before the season is over, preferrably during the bye week, to give them time to get a jump on the coaches who will be available at the end of the season.

I'm told that Beamer told them "no." He was as torn up after the Duke game as much as he ever has been about a game, according to some sources who were around him. But Beamer doesn't want to do anything while the season is still ongoing.

The reports of potential targets continue to roll in. The Hokies and any other team can't currently talk to any coaches until the regular season has completed. But after that, two of the top guys to come to the forefront on VT's list are Justin Fuente at Memphis and Matt Campbell at Toledo. There will be plenty more under consideration, but those appear to be two of the top targets on the list right now. Our friends at PowerMizzou.com (our Missouri site) have even reached out to say they've even heard about mutual interest between VT and Fuente.

As I've said the whole time, I will not report rumors. But starting to get more and more info that has some legs to it. It sounds like the very earliest something could happen would be during the bye week, if it does happen during the season.
Reactions: hokiefanforlife

UNC game

I just picked up a pair tickets for UNC game. I really hope that it is sold out. A lot of people on message boards have said that the refuse to donate any more money or time to this program as long as Coach Beamer is still the head guy. My hope is that Hokie nation shows this man just how much we appreciate him. This needs to be a packed out, loud and amazing event. This will be the last at Lane for a Legend.
Reactions: DEXTERITY

In case anyone wonders why Virginia is despised by Hokies

here is just one comment from a little "mama's boy" from uva on Frank's retirement:

maxaverage said... (original post) you have to respect what he did at VT.

"No I don't. How much of that success was thanks to abysmally low academic standards, or third and fourth chances for athlete criminal behavior? I'm not going to vilify every guy who played there, they had plenty of high quality guys over the years, some I even have ties to through their HS coaches or parents. But there were a host of star players that underpin Frank's HOF resume that Frank had no business letting play; he prioritized winning over running a program with integrity."

Pretty comical that this little twerp from a program like virginia's would question Frank's integrity.

Beamer has been Super, but it is Time: Potential New Coaches

I have the upmost respect for Beamer and how he built the VT brand and football program. If he leaves this year, he will still be regarded as on top of the VT world.

Here are my (as of today) thoughts on if we transition coaches this year:
Wish List:
  1. Bruce Arians: low probability, but a Tech alum with a great resume as AZ Cardinals head coach. We may want a younger guy, but Bruce is a class-act
  2. Justin Fuente (Memphis): great year at Memphis, he may be a hot commodity
  3. Bud Foster: we can't disregard his great tenure as defensive mind and he will help us Not lose any committed recruits.
  4. Tom Herman (Houston): young guy (similar to Fuente)
  5. Bryan Harsin: Boise head coach keeps winning

Only one tailback had a carry the whole game?

I swear, I think the coaches are spiteful. Why would they keep running Tmac even in that last drive where the intention was to just run him in to the line to kill time after he's already had 30 meaningful carries and not a single other rb had one? Is that odd or is it just me? Risking injury to our best back seems kind of stupid and at the very least we're killing his ypc avg, but man this was really strange.
Reactions: Hokie81

How come we always find new ways to lose?

This time our defense let us down. Hats off to the team for catching up and dragging the game into the OT. The clock management at the end was questionable, and the defense at the very end? disappointing. I think in the middle of the game, Beamer sort of lose his mind or confidence, the poor execution of the onsite kick was laughable.

Keep going, a long season is about to end...

This Preseason Hyped team AT BEST WOULD..

Finish 4rd in the Eastern Division of the AAC. This is what our program has come to.. I know it is a sin to criticize the defense on this site. I did it last year and got into it with lucus because the stats showed otherwise but they are horrible. Just be real. Cant rush, cant tackle, cant cover.. This has been all year. I thought the group was a bit sloppy last year as well so this is becoming a trend in my eyes. Recruiting has fallen off the last 4 years and it is showing.. Why exactly did we keep stiney again?? ... anyway.. yeah. A bowl is going to be hard to get to and we quit playing for national championships, we quit playing for Acc championships,and 10 win season, hell we quit playing for division crowns.. We are not giving everything we have to make a mid December Bowl. Not going to call any players out because I think it is more of the coaches than anyone. I will praise 2 players in particular Travon McMillan and Isiah Ford are ballers, and Travon could have one of the top seasons of a Tech running back if he had the right RB coach and OC. I want to know everyone's honest opinion do you guys see any changes at all after the season? I know Frank wont fire his son.. but maybe SL? will Babcock do the unthinkable?

Coach Beamer deserves all the credit in the world

He's a great man, and he built the program so he deserves all the respect in the world. People need to put that in perspective before talking about firing the guy. That's not going to happen nor should it.

With that being said, without any question this should be his last year. It's time to move on and bring some new fire and energy into the program. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping a few of the younger coaches around but overall clean house. The coaching as it stand today in the program is not good. It's inferior. Head coach, offense, defense, special teams, everything and it's getting worse by the year. And all of the Bud defenders out there need to realize he's a big part of the problem too.

Tech is in the middle of a 4 hour hotbed radius of football recruiting and some fresh new life into the program could go a long way to rebuilding the pipeline that has been thin and cost the program the past 5 years and counting.

Time To Go On The Record! Where Does VT Finish The Year?

I've thought about and I only see 2 more wins on the schedule. I think we beat BC and UVA (could lose those even) and finish at 5-7. The past couple of years the team seemed to rally and pull out a bowl bid but I'm having a hard time believing we could win 3 of 4 to finish.

GT and their option is going to be a nightmare with our inexperience (and overall awfulness) at linebacker and in the secondary. I envision play-action over the top the whole game and huge runs by Justin Thomas on the edge.

We pretty much own UNC but if not for a horrendous game by Williams they would be undefeated and Chizik has their defense playing well. They may be the best team in the Coastal and have as much talent as we do to go along with better coaching.

Would I be shocked to see the team rally and rise up and beat GT or UNC to get bowl eligible? No (but I hope we do). But after what we've watched this year does anyone really expect that to happen?

All this isn't to be negative, it's just how I see it. How do you see it (give me some hope)?

Timing of the Inevitable

Does anyone expect an announcement prior to VT's last home game versus UNC...perhaps during the upcoming bye week?? Can Babcock orchestrate anything resembling a "celebratory ending" to Beamer's coaching era at VT this year...or will that have to wait until sometime next year in the form of some type of pre-game appreciative ceremony?? I for one am hoping that at a minimum VT renames the stadium...Beamer-Lane Stadium.

Basketball

ACC media day today. We're picked 14th...we've finished in the cellar 4 consecutive seasons. What's everyone's expectations for year 2 of the Buzz Era? I think we might be better than some experts think with the additions of the transfers and incoming freshmen. It was a Top 25 class for the second year in a row under Buzz.

Game Strategy For BC

Here are a few tidbits I gathered from interviews this evening as the Hokies prepare for a game against Boston College at Alumni Stadium on Halloween afternoon.

-- Corey Marshall says that the team needs to focus on the process to winning rather than just the end result.
-- Marshall supports Frank Beamer and said that he has been "taking too much shit."
-- Virginia Tech plans to use more blitz coverage allowing for man to man coverage, which Andrew Motuapuaka is especially excited about.
-- The Hokies must win three of the next four games to be bowl eligible and every single player was confident when speaking on the matter that the team will accomplish that, no doubt.

Check out my story tomorrow for more details! :)

Dwayne Lawson

Transferring or not? Anyone with some real information and not just speculation? Having him around could likely be as important as the next head coach. I have seen some references to his potential departure and general lack of confidence that he will be a hokie next year.

***INsider: Patrick Jones On Official***

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke earlier with Grassfield (Va.) two-star DE Patrick Jones, who took his official visit to VT this past weekend. That was his second Hokies game this fall, as he was also on hand for the Ohio State game.

Jones isn't a huge talker, so I had to ask about twice the amount of questions I normally would. He said he did like the atmosphere and liked meeting with academic advisors. Jones said he feels good about the situation in getting his academics done and the help he would get at VT.

Jones said he sat down and talked at length with defensive coordinator Bud Foster and assistant coaches Charley Wiles and Bryan Stinespring, his primary recruiter. Jones said they told him he'd fit well in the scheme and that they envision him playing a role similar to the one Dadi Nicolas plays. Jones said he likes the idea of being a weakside guy and how he could have an impact. The other thing Jones said he really noticed and liked was the family atmosphere and how comfortable he felt there.

The other news here is that he's down to five schools, counting VT. The others in the running are Pittsburgh, NC State, California and Duke. He doesn't have any officials set 100%, but said he will be doing so over the next couple of nights. It sounds like he will likely go to NC State this weekend for the Florida State game, Pitt next weekend for Notre Dame and the other two will be in November. Jones wants to decide by Thanksgiving.

Right now, it sounds like the Hokies are the clear leader. But he's very intrigued by California and that's the oddball obviously, of the group. So that sounds like the biggest contender right now. But VT is definitely the favorite.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT