ADVERTISEMENT

Basketbal Transfers

pahokie77

Signee
Jan 7, 2008
Is anyone getting worried about the recent transfers from the basketball program? I am. I know this is more common than it used to be, but losing 2-3 transfers each year seems excessive to me. Sorry to see Jaleen Hudson go as he had a real nice outside shot.

I also am sorry to see Hudson go. He still has a tremendous upside to help a team.

But some games he was brilliant and some games you didn't notice him. Some games he started and some games he did not.

Pierce played lots more minutes last year than this year and he seemed to play hard when he was in the game. We needed his size but I wish him luck as he looks for a better fit.

Nothing to worry about. We all hate to see Hudson go but he was most likely to be the one on a team heavy in talented guard/wing players. He was last in minutes among those players and they are all returning, plus Ahmed Hill is returning, and maybe Ty Outlaw if he is cleared. Hudson just did the math. He wants more PT and he will absolutely get it at another school that doesn't have so much competition for PT at his position. He's too good of a talent not to be getting at least 30 minutes or more a game and he's not going to get that at VT. I believe he will become more consistent when he's the go to guy and playing more minutes. He just needs to find the program that needs him.

As for Pierce, I'm guessing we'll see him go to a low major or even a Division II program. IMO he simply hasn't shown that he can possess the speed to compete with other ACC bigs, and next year he will be behind Blackshear, Hamilton, and Sy. His transfer should be a win-win for both himself and VT.

Reactions: salemfan32
The NCAA needs to crack down on transfers. When a player signs with a school he should stay there 4 years.

Building a program from the ground up takes time and often involves a little more movement of players. Probably always going to have it but I think it settles down some as the program stabilizes.

Reactions: salemfan32
Hard to do that when coaches come and go freely..sure hate to think I would have to stay at my first job I had for four yrs..coaches sign contracts but leave whenever they want..these kids are recruited by one coach and often time stuck playing for another

No coach is bigger than the school. Coach does not give diplomas , the school does.

Even Nick Saban is not bigger than Alabama.

OK Buzz.

How about coming back from your recruiting trip with some talent to fill those vacancies.

No coach is bigger than the school. Coach does not give diplomas , the school does.

Even Nick Saban is not bigger than Alabama.

Most of those players wouldn't go to Alabama if Mike Shula or Dennis Franchione was the coach. They are going to Alabama because they like the school and they like the staff. Do you think UVa would be recruiting well in baseball if O'Connor wasn't there or basketball if Bennett wasn't there? We all know what UVa baseball was before O'Connor - 3 NCAA appearances in program history.

Kids want to go to school where they can get a good education, play a lot, and win.

If you were a basketball recruit - would you have committed to play for Ricky Stokes or James Johnson? Now, how about Charlie Moir or Buzz Williams? Big difference.

Reactions: Hokie81
True, but even if some of those guys were not good coaches, the players still had "VT" on their uniforms. Allowing players to come and go as they please, isn't good for college basketball (or any other sport).

Is anyone getting worried about the recent transfers from the basketball program? I am. I know this is more common than it used to be, but losing 2-3 transfers each year seems excessive to me. Sorry to see Jaleen Hudson go as he had a real nice outside shot.
let me add my two cents here.....Huggins got rid of two starters who did not want to play defense. They were both scorers but couldn't guard the managers.....a lot of WVU fans thought he was crazy but look how the last 2 years have turned out......Buzz is trying to get "his people"...when he does you will be pleasantly surprised.....Let's GOOOOOO Mountaineers!!!

Reactions: vtpmt81
Buzz got another one of his people today. 4 star Nickeil Alexander-Walker (no. 91 player in Rivals 100) committed tonight. He is Buzz's first 2017 recruit.

Reactions: vtpmt81
True, but even if some of those guys were not good coaches, the players still had "VT" on their uniforms. Allowing players to come and go as they please, isn't good for college basketball (or any other sport).

Fair enough but coaches can go where they please. Players can't go where they please - most transfers have conditions.

Many people on this board, 247, and TSL are passionate Hokie fans that are extremely loyal. However, not everyone that wears a VT uniform or graduated with a VT degree is that loyal. I knew kids that went to VT that didn't care at all about sports.

I have no VT degree, or any degree.

Since you chose to root for VT, you have passion for VT.

Some players play for VT because they love the university and Blacksburg. Others because they build a relationship with Buzz Williams and his assistants. Some players play for VT because it was the best offer available. Others use it as an opportunity to transfer after a year or two.

Everyone has different motives. It is the same with any university. Some players go to Kentucky because they want to play in the NBA, not because they like the university. Others actually like the school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT