ADVERTISEMENT

BC Game

RB4

Freshman
Mar 7, 2004
If the ball is not in the absolute perfect place then Bucky Hodges will not catch it.. Continues to remind me that he was a recruited QB, not TE...

Much as we suspected, when this team is not in full self-destruct mode, it's pretty good.

I didn't much care for the play calling for most of the 2nd qtr, but at least they finished with a big play.

And SMH at God's Gift to Receivers with Stone Hands.

Someone will have to explain to me one day why BC would hire Loeffler as an OC.

Reactions: EagleGradCC
Much as we suspected, when this team is not in full self-destruct mode, it's pretty good.

I didn't much care for the play calling for most of the 2nd qtr, but at least they finished with a big play.

And SMH at God's Gift to Receivers with Stone Hands.

Someone will have to explain to me one day why BC would hire Loeffler as an OC.
BC hired Loeffler because he coached with Addazio at Temple and they are friends. That favor may cost him his job.

lefty is a coach killer.. But Evans is for real.. very efficient and smart with his throws. He seems to be in the right offensive system.. Our D has been retro this year. The points given up last week was misleading.. We can be a player for our side of the division.. We are for real when we play mistake free.. it takes a game like last week sometimes before things start to click. I hope thats the case..

Reactions: salemfan32
Ford tried to give away the shut out, but Bud's Boys were having none of it.

Trivia question for the wise folk here...when was the last time a VT team put together this level of dominant performance in all three phases of the game?

This team has the potential to be really, really good...in year 1. I figured it would happen eventually, but I don't think I was expecting this level of quality by game 3.

On a side note, QueenEdRock just threw up in his mouth. All those years saying that we can't fire really sorry, clueless offensive coaches because the next guy could be even worse...umm, no. The next guy is not worse.

A new spread, mistake-free O is great to watch in tandem with a Bud Foster D.

Half of our success today came about to BC's errors and dropped passes though.

So (I miss him too) remember what Lou Holtz said, "You're never as good as you think you are after a big win, or as bad as you think you are after a bad loss." So true after the TN game.

A new spread, mistake-free O is great to watch in tandem with a Bud Foster D.

Half of our success today came about to BC's errors and dropped passes though.

So (I miss him too) remember what Lou Holtz said, "You're never as good as you think you are after a big win, or as bad as you think you are after a bad loss." So true after the TN game.
Agreed. We are definitely not as good as this score may have some people believe.

No, but it shows what the ceiling looks like for us when we aren't busy beating ourselves. For game 3, that was pretty stunning to watch. If it was game 3 NEXT year, I could see it. But I definitely wasn't expecting that out of game 3 THIS year.

Also, did anyone else see Bud come over and give Fuente a big hug early in the 4th qtr? You think that man doesn't see a plan coming together right in front of his eyes?

1) This was VT's biggest shutout win since 2004 (62-0 over Florida A&M).

2) Evans' 5 TD passes tied Randall's school record set in double overtime against Syracuse in 2003...Evans only played 3 qtrs. BC only allowed 9 TD passes all season last year while leading the nation in total defense.

3) BC came into the game with the #3 ranked overall defense in the country. VT ended up with 476 total yards, even though the starters only played 3 qtrs.

4) Speaking of Evans, he now has 10 TD passes in 3 games vs 1 INT (not his fault...ball went right through Ford's hands).

5) Bud's Boys held BC to 124 total yards and 6 first downs.

6) This was VT's largest margin of victory in an ACC game since beating Maryland 55-6 in 2004.

7) This was the first shutout for the defense since beating Bowling Green 37-0 in 2012.

8) VT was 5-for-5 in red zone trip TDs. Red zone scoring was the bane of Stiney's entire existence.

Last edited:
Good win, looked real good today.
Thanks. I'm a little surprised by how good we looked today, but I'll take it!.

Now, about your last FG attempt...what the heck was your kicker thinking? The offense rushed off the field in plenty of time. The kick unit rushed on the field in plenty of time. Everyone else on the field was all set up for the win with at least 6 seconds left on the clock, but your kicker slowly walks backwards and sideways to count off his steps? Like...really slowly? The ball is snapped as the clock goes to :00, and your kicker still has his back turned to the holder marking off his steps? Dang, the kick was from the 2 yard line, it was practically an extra point, and your kicker couldn't get set up in 6 seconds well enough to even know when the ball was snapped?

I've been watching football a long time...I've never, ever seen a team lose a game like that. That one was tough to watch.

9) This was VT's first shut out in an ACC game since beating UVa 38-0 in 2011.

10) Evans' 10 TD passes leads the ACC. Yes, that means he's thrown for more TDs than Jackson and Watson have thrown for so far. The 10 TD passes in the 1st three games is a VT record (Noel had 8 in 2001).

11) Surprisingly, this was only VT's 4th shutout since 2007.

12) BC came into the game with the nation's #6 ranked rush defense, despite playing GT in its opener (in a game GT won 17-14). VT had 223 rushing yards today. GT had 119 rushing yards in the BC game.

13) This was BC's worst loss since 1950, and their second worst loss of all time.

14) The 49 points was the most VT had scored in an ACC game since beating Wake Forest 52-21 back in 2010.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm a little surprised by how good we looked today, but I'll take it!.

Now, about your last FG attempt...what the heck was your kicker thinking? The offense rushed off the field in plenty of time. The kick unit rushed on the field in plenty of time. Everyone else on the field was all set up for the win with at least 6 seconds left on the clock, but your kicker slowly walks backwards and sideways to count off his steps? Like...really slowly? The ball is snapped as the clock goes to :00, and your kicker still has his back turned to the holder marking off his steps? Dang, the kick was from the 2 yard line, it was practically an extra point, and your kicker couldn't get set up in 6 seconds well enough to even know when the ball was snapped?

I've been watching football a long time...I've never, ever seen a team lose a game like that. That one was tough to watch.
The real injustice was not passing into the end zone, could have easily run 2 pass plays and then missed a 12 yard FG

Agreed. We are definitely not as good as this score may have some people believe.
I think our offense may be as good as it looked today. These offensive coaches really know what they are doing. We can beat everybody on our schedule with that offense and an assist from the D. The D, we'll see. They played well against BC. But that BC/Loeffler offense is terrible. I expect ECU will be a much better test for our defense.

I think our offense may be as good as it looked today. These offensive coaches really know what they are doing. We can beat everybody on our schedule with that offense and an assist from the D. The D, we'll see. They played well against BC. But that BC/Loeffler offense is terrible. I expect ECU will be a much better test for our defense.
Exactly. We'll find out against ECU how good we are. BC is probably the worst ACC team this year (at least on our schedule) so I wouldn't draw too much from this win.

We played the worst O imaginable. Our O looked much, much better tahn last week.. Very encouraging. ECU has a much better O than BC so that game will tax our D a lot more.
Believe that we had a shutout in 2012.
It was great to see our 2'nd and 3'rd string get to play and even greater to see that they played well. We haven't had that kind of luxory much over the last four or five years. Also the effort to build on our WR depth is very noticable and needed.
Hats off to the coaches and team!

BC does not have a good defense. I've been trying to explain to our guys that the greatness of last years defense was greatly exaggerated and that what was awesome about it left with Don Brown when he went to Michigan. Addazio is a buffoon and is under contract until 2020 after being extended by our crack AD.

EIther way, I for one feel your offense is legit, and we saw that through a quarter against UT until some of the ball security stuff began.

I will wait and see. I have bought the hype too many times before. I am still not sold on our OL. I think that traditionally ECU has been a tough outing for us. For some reason they match up well against us. That will be a true test for us and will be one of the tougher opponents on our schedule. Should be a good game and I am really anxious to see how we stack up.

Reactions: RB4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT