ADVERTISEMENT

Bring on the Bud. Our next HC already lives in BBurg

I don't see Bud getting the job, JMO. I believe this is VT's chance to bring in a big name coach, and that will do more for recruiting than Bud will do. I believe Buds lack of recruiting has hurt VT, the man can coach but should have been able to bring in better recruits. I have always questioned why he never got a HC job, he interviewed but never got one, why? Don't see him getting this one either. I also can't imagine lil Beamer gets this job, big mistake if he does. This is considered a good job and I believe VT can get a good coach as long as they don't feel Bud deserves a chance....and I don't believe Whit has any loyalty to any of Beamers coaches.

I'd not just give him the job, but I agree that he has proven over the years that he can coach. He will have to convince the AD that he has all the tools including that he can recruit. Frankly that is the only area that is a question mark for me.

I have no idea who is going to take Frank's place but I felt certain of his retirement. For once he is doing what is best for Frank.

I don't see Bud getting the job, JMO. I believe this is VT's chance to bring in a big name coach, and that will do more for recruiting than Bud will do. I believe Buds lack of recruiting has hurt VT, the man can coach but should have been able to bring in better recruits. I have always questioned why he never got a HC job, he interviewed but never got one, why? Don't see him getting this one either. I also can't imagine lil Beamer gets this job, big mistake if he does. This is considered a good job and I believe VT can get a good coach as long as they don't feel Bud deserves a chance....and I don't believe Whit has any loyalty to any of Beamers coaches.

Taking 10 damn minutes to score a TD against Duke is what hurts VT recruiting...I understand and can appreciate the mind set behind it, you understand and can appreciate the mindset behind it, but 17 yr old elite offensive recruits wanting to showcase their talent in a high octane system popular today, probably dont think much of it.
Ive always heard BF wasnt very good at the "politics" involved in being a head coach and prefers instead to be a locker room jock type coach. That might be true but Ive also wondered If his knowledge and philosophy didnt weigh in on him not being hired as a head coach as well. Bud has never coached under anybody except Frank Beamer and Beamer has pretty much always tossed Bud the keys to the Hokie machine. Put it like this...If Im an AD in todays offense oriented college football and Im deciding between a decent DC that has worked alongside some decent OCs and offense minded head coaches OR an excellent DC in Bud Foster that has only worked alongside ultra conservative Beamer and an OC like Stiney and Loeffler...that along with Buds rep for not liking the politics of being a HC is likely going to make me choose the decent DC over BF.
On the flip side, Hokie fans already know Bud Foster and are used to the conservative offense philosophy so I think they would accept him and as long as he brought in a better OC than what we have now, I think he could pull it off. Ive often wondered how an offensive mind like Tony Franklin would fit with Bud as HC/DC (I think they played together at Murray State). Ive also wondered how one of the triple option OCs would coincide with a BF defense. Just one mans opinion...

Yeah it'll be interesting to see if Bud Foster gets a chance or if our AD goes outside the family for a head coach. I'm looking forward to see what happens.

I think bud deserves the job. He has broke his back for VT and could have left us plenty of times.. The only reason I kind of dont want him to get it is I know he will not replace SL, and Shane Beamer. If he was to do that, and change the Offensive philosophy I am all for Bud. But I know he wont.

I hope we can hire a good head coach that can also allow us to keep Bud Foster as our DC. Pair Foster with a good OC and we could be dangerous. VT fans know Bud is hugely responsible for Beamer's success at VT. I don't think we'll ever see another DC at Bud's level for so long and consistently at VT.

I just don't get how some of you would want Bud Foster to be the new head coach. Not saying he wouldn't make a good head coach, but on the sheer principle of change. After all of this talk wanting Beamer to retire, wouldn't you want someone completely fresh for the program? I've only watched VT for the past couple of seasons but it was clear to me early on this year that VT is in need of some serious personnel and philosophy changes. Hiring Foster to me would be like moving into a different house... except that different house is right across the street from the old one. I just feel like in this situation you have to look outside the program for your next head coach. I do agree though Foster should be kept as the defensive coordinator. In the end I'm just an arm chair forum poster lol

Ridiculous. Foster is great DC. That is it. Look at Muschamp, great DC terrible HC. Time to go big and get a proven HC.

Bring in an offensive guru who will keep Bud as DC.
Agree with HR for once. In a perfect world, Bud with a high power offense would be great. But doubt any New HC will want to be told who he has to keep and not keep. I would assume he would want Bud on his staff due to his proven record, but would Bud want to stay on? If not the next best option is Torrian Gray, he will be a great DC for a college team. He has learned from one of the best over the years. Again, a new head coach many not want anyone from the current staff and may bring in their own guys.

Bud's a little rough around the edges. I'm not sure he's the type of personality that VT wants as their HC. He's a defensive genius, but as you all well know, being the HC is more of a C.E.O. role. Dealing with boosters, the media, the administration, parents, etc doesn't seem like it would be Foster's gig.

Good luck in finding a competent replacement for a legend. I love to hate VT. And I want that to continue so I'm hoping you find someone that can keep you relevant on the college football scene.

Foster went on how many HC interviews and was offerred exactly zero. This should tell you something. No doubt an excellent DC. Different skill sets and it is a novice mistake in failing to recognize that a successful HC will present different skill sets than a successful coordinator. Only saying that many different insiders have evaluated Foster as a candidate for HC with no takers. Don't be fooled. I would rather start over at DC, if Bud doesn't like it, than to risk a poor HC hire.

I just don't get how some of you would want Bud Foster to be the new head coach. Not saying he wouldn't make a good head coach, but on the sheer principle of change. After all of this talk wanting Beamer to retire, wouldn't you want someone completely fresh for the program? I've only watched VT for the past couple of seasons but it was clear to me early on this year that VT is in need of some serious personnel and philosophy changes. Hiring Foster to me would be like moving into a different house... except that different house is right across the street from the old one. I just feel like in this situation you have to look outside the program for your next head coach. I do agree though Foster should be kept as the defensive coordinator. In the end I'm just an arm chair forum poster lol
Dabo was an assistant on the Clemson staff for 5 years before he was named had coach. Despite working under someone else's system for a while, he immediately set about changing everything about the program once he took over.

Here's the thing with Bud...he's been asked in the past what kind of offense he would run if he were the head coach, and he very plainly stated that the offenses that keep him up at night are the Oregon spread type of offenses, and that he would run one of those in a heartbeat.

For anyone not wanting Bud as the HC because they're just assuming that he would carry on Frank's work unchanged has not been paying attention. Some of these interviews go back many, many years (even a decade or more), so I'm guessing that Bud has openly hated the offense that VT runs for at least half of his coaching career. I think he would be chomping at the bit to scrap that stuff and start over with something a lot more modern. He's always shown himself to be pretty adaptable in the past.

He's a defensive genius, but as you all well know, being the HC is more of a C.E.O. role.
Not all head coaches play C.E.O. roles. Some of them are still knee deep in the game planning and play calling aspects of it (Johnson at GT, Cutcliff at Duke, Patterson at TCU for some examples), and this is how I would picture Bud doing it.

Reactions: RB4
Agree wholeheartedly.

I like this combo. X and O-wise, I think it would be devastating. But there are three problems.

Two of the problems are neither of those guys can recruit.

The other problem is Bud Foster is not going to stick around if he doesn't get the HC. In fact, I'll bet money that he'll be insulted and extremely pissed off if he doesn't. I say it because Foster is an alpha who has been loyal for 20+ yrs and is likely expecting the HC position. What was the point in the whole 5 yrs/800,000 bonus thing? I'm pretty sure it was a stay loyal and wait out Beamer's retirement bonus, and at least implicit if not verbalized that he was first in line for consideration.

Also, I agree if Bud was named HC, you're gonna see the best damn OC money can get (our money) running the VT offense. As many yrs as he's suffered secretly wanting to punch Stiney in the neck, I wouldn't be surprised if he hired Kenneth Star to do an official OC report turning over all stones to find the very best OC. Recruiting is a whole "nother" issue in and of itself though.

My Top 5:
1. Justin Fuente
2. Dan Mullen
3. Matt Campbell
4. Matt Rhule
5. Rich Rod

My Top 5:
1. Justin Fuente
2. Dan Mullen
3. Matt Campbell
4. Matt Rhule
5. Rich Rod

I like your list, but just curious, how could you not have Herman on there? I think he's either the 1st or 2nd best recruiter behind Mullen.

I like your list, but just curious, how could you not have Herman on there? I think he's either the 1st or 2nd best recruiter behind Mullen.

1. His success this year might be a case of inheriting good (but underachieving) talent from his predecessor.
2. He's only been at Houston one year. He might be a one year wonder.

Give me Bid but not RR or Tub.
MadMax...you are wrong IMO for wanting CFB to stay for another season. However this is your opinion in which I respect. There is no question, you have visionary like IQ with your desire for the Budman taking over. I agree with you 100%. You understand that winners win. Bud is a winner. He will win as HC

I just read Bitter's piece on Whit's hiring history, and there are some pretty interesting nuggets in there.

1) Whit usually (if not always) hires coaches with head coaching experience.
2) Whit usually hires someone with whom he's had past ties with.

RichRod's name keeps popping up because Whit was at WVU when RR was the head coach there. Definitely some interesting angles to ponder.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colle...cle_3b6cf86b-17d4-5d2a-bd07-8f5cdfb86da0.html

So im 50 percent. Great batting average. I think Bud will be a great choice. Hes passionate about the game and VT.

If Bud is selected and he changes offense and dumps SL, and Shane and gets one of them high flying AAC OCs im ALL FOR IT. But cant see him doing it.

MadMax...you are wrong IMO for wanting CFB to stay for another season. However this is your opinion in which I respect. There is no question, you have visionary like IQ with your desire for the Budman taking over. I agree with you 100%. You understand that winners win. Bud is a winner. He will win as HC

"Winners win" almost sounds as if something was actually said.
The question is, with respect to a HC, what makes a "winner"?
Well, lots of things, including the right position coaches & coordinators.
Collectively, I suspect the former may be more important, but I digress.
Mostly, it's talented players that make a winner.
We win (or lose) in February first.
It's not that "winners win." How could they not? o_O
It's that (on the level we want to achieve) recruiters win.

"Winners win" almost sounds as if something was actually said.
The question is, with respect to a HC, what makes a "winner"?
Well, lots of things, including the right position coaches & coordinators.
Collectively, I suspect the former may be more important, but I digress.
Mostly, it's talented players that make a winner.
We win (or lose) in February first.
It's not that "winners win." How could they not? o_O
It's that (on the level we want to achieve) recruiters win.
Franks gone and his Buddy Stiney is packing. Deal with it. This run is over.

Bud as HC with the best OC money can buy is a fools game and never works. Just ask Muschamp....Brent Pease, Charlie Weis, Kurt Roper...Bud is no HC and that would be an awful hire. Hope he stays as DC, but if he can'accept it, then good luck to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT