ADVERTISEMENT

Coach of the Year

Hampton Roads 6

Hokie Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2003
The guy at Miami won ACC coach of Year. VT coach finished 2nd. I believe Miami guy had 24 votes, Williams 22.

There may be more integrity in the Democrats Presidental race than in ACC basketball. Williams should have won COY easily. I guess the same pundits that voted for COY were same ones that picked VT for 14th place,

I honestly think you can make an argument for both guys.

Miami def surprised some people by staying great all year long. They were also right in the mix for the ACC regular season title. Tech came on strong late and exceeded expectations, albeit at a lower level. Buzz wasn't robbed, by any means.

I honestly think you can make an argument for both guys.

Miami def surprised some people by staying great all year long. They were also right in the mix for the ACC regular season title. Tech came on strong late and exceeded expectations, albeit at a lower level. Buzz wasn't robbed, by any means.
Agree, he did well getting that close. They will be one of the more exciting teams in the league next year.

They awarded the right guy. VT came out of nowhere and surprised some people this year, but Miami came out of nowhere and surprised the entire nation.

They awarded the right guy. VT came out of nowhere and surprised some people this year, but Miami came out of nowhere and surprised the entire nation.

I respectfully disagree. Miami was picked to finished 5th in the ACC and they finished 3rd. They have a heavy senior team and were expected to do well this year, and were expected to go to the NCAA tourney. The also avoided playing Duke, UNC, and UVA twice, so everyone knew they had a favorable schedule. Additionally, they almost won the NIT last year.

Miami didn't come out of nowhere like VT did. VT was expected to finished 14th and finished 6th with relatively young players and a young team.

Buzz comparatively did a much better job coaching his players up this year. Larranaga has been coaching up his team for 3+ years already.

Fwifw, I thought Buzz was the obvious choice for ACC-CY. He did a great job and exceeded expectations more so than any other coach in the league.

Reactions: cmmcclu
I respectfully disagree. Miami was picked to finished 5th in the ACC and they finished 3rd. They have a heavy senior team and were expected to do well this year, and were expected to go to the NCAA tourney. The also avoided playing Duke, UNC, and UVA twice, so everyone knew they had a favorable schedule. Additionally, they almost won the NIT last year.

Miami didn't come out of nowhere like VT did. VT was expected to finished 14th and finished 6th with relatively young players and a young team.

Buzz comparatively did a much better job coaching his players up this year. Larranaga has been coaching up his team for 3+ years already.
I believe most (if not all) of the votes were cast before the finale was played, so at that time, Miami was predicted to finish 5th but they were sitting in 1st while VT was predicted to finish 14th and were sitting in 10th (or so).

If you voted before the last game was played, then I think the vote was properly reflective of how the standings looked. The last game changed that scenario somewhat, but it's a case of hindsight being 20-20.

I totally agree with your other points, but I'm not sure how deep the voters dig into such matters before voting.

If you go by who had the most impact on how a team fared..then Williams definitely should have won it..if you go by how they finished then roy Williams should have won it..my point is it should go to the coach that's had the most impact on how there teamed fared.against the odds otherwise it's a easy pick every year..just pick the highest finishing team and give it to there coach..

Miami is starting three seniors and two juniors. They gained two spots on the preseason ACC poll. I think what Bud did this season was far more meaningful than what the U did. I feel for Buzz but I can live with it. This is a tip of the hat to the U for what they have become as a team.

Miami is starting three seniors and two juniors. They gained two spots on the preseason ACC poll. I think what Bud did this season was far more meaningful than what the U did. I feel for Buzz but I can live with it. This is a tip of the hat to the U for what they have become as a team.

Agreed. Also, one of those Jr's is a redshirt junior, and I think the seniors are all redshirts, meaning that they are older, more experienced and have been working with Larranaga for a while now.

This Miami team is a lot like Larranaga's Cinderella team at Mason (except GMU was shorter and not as talented) - they were all seniors and a junior if I remember correctly. Their experience and excellent team play won more games than their talent.

Both coaches were deserving, I could see it going either way. But The U did finish tied for 2nd and I'm sure that got him some votes. Buzz did a great job and will have his chances at the award if he keeps improving.

Both coaches were deserving, I could see it going either way. But The U did finish tied for 2nd and I'm sure that got him some votes. Buzz did a great job and will have his chances at the award if he keeps improving.
scUM coach barely exceeded expectations. He has a talented team. Good job, not especially noteworthy.
Buzz, on the other hand, went the whole season w/o 2 starters and arguably his best player. He finished a mere 8 places ahead of expectations. Split home and home with scUM and then lost by 6 on a neutral floor under conditions designed to help scUM win. Now, that is impressive -- and noteworthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT