ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Ruff out at ECU

I really, really liked him. This was an interesting decision and makes me wonder what kind of program ECU thinks they are?

Never underestimate ECU doing something stupid in regards to their football program. Ask Ed Emory and Steve Logan, two good coaches who got the axe because of an AD who thought his feces smelled like Chanel No. 5 and thought he knew better. The same thing has happened to Ruffin McNeill who is a good man. Maybe even too good for ECU.

An ECU alumnus too, no less. Pretty shocking. Don't know who they will hire that will do any better than he was doing for them.

I think the kids really liked Coach Ruff. He and his staff recruited well as far as I can tell.

I pulled for ECU in every game (except one) the last few years only because of the coach, who I think is a real gentleman. I, for one, am really sorry to see him lose his job.

He is a top notch guy but I heard this evening that last years results were not what they wanted with the talent they had and things just went south this year. Coach Ruff don't want to make staff changes and sometimes that loyalty is hard to overcome. I give ECU credit for wanting to have a winning football program and being brave enough to take chances. They have been watching this close all season so I would think the AD has had a list of people he would like to interview put together for a while now. As for Steve Logan do any of you guys know how big a jackass he is and how hard he was to get along with?? I'm surprised ECU honored him last year. He coached in Europe for a dollar so ECU would have to pay out their contract. I have a few relatives real close in that program and Logan was hard to deal with. It wasn't all the AD's fault that was there back then.

He is a top notch guy but I heard this evening that last years results were not what they wanted with the talent they had and things just went south this year. Coach Ruff don't want to make staff changes and sometimes that loyalty is hard to overcome. I give ECU credit for wanting to have a winning football program and being brave enough to take chances. They have been watching this close all season so I would think the AD has had a list of people he would like to interview put together for a while now. As for Steve Logan do any of you guys know how big a jackass he is and how hard he was to get along with?? I'm surprised ECU honored him last year. He coached in Europe for a dollar so ECU would have to pay out their contract. I have a few relatives real close in that program and Logan was hard to deal with. It wasn't all the AD's fault that was there back then.
Still, Logan was winning games when they got rid of him and brought in the next guy who won 3 games the next 2 years. And ECU should have to pay out his contract if they agreed to it with him. Its not wrong to want to have a winning program but this was the first losing campaign Ruff had in the 6 years he was there. I hope their AD knows what he is doing and he's not getting ready to lead them back into the John Thompson era again - guess we'll see when he reveals the names on his list and actually makes a hire. I wonder why he waited another week though and let him go out on another recruiting trip first. It almost seems eerily familiar to the way VT once handled the firing of one of its basketball coaches, and everybody knows how that turned out.

One of ECU's leading candidates is supposedly Shaun Elliott, the interim coach at USCe this year and a guy whom Appalachian State passed on three years ago when they were hiring a new coach. Not exactly an improvement over Ruffin McNeill but if ECU wants a coach with App State connections they can always call up Jerry Moore. He might have one more job in him.

I heard this morning from an ECU grad that the word is the AD believes he can get Riley. My buddy was not happy they let Ruff go, he doesn't believe they can pull off Riley and will end up going backwards on the next coach.

I heard this morning from an ECU grad that the word is the AD believes he can get Riley. My buddy was not happy they let Ruff go, he doesn't believe they can pull off Riley and will end up going backwards on the next coach.
Oh man...surely you don't fire your current coach before the next one at least agrees to be hired. Who does that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT