ADVERTISEMENT

Confirmed: ESPN College GameDay will be at Bristol

I do not like Tennessee, thus I wish we were playing Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Miss. State, Ole Miss or LSU in Bristol.

Have we ever been favored in one of these early OOC matchups? Just seems like were always the sacrificial lamb sent to make another teams SOS look good.

Think end-of-year rankings, which are the only ones that are relevant in any way.
There's a new twist on being able to say you finally beat a #1 ranked team. You don't get credit for beating a #1 team but a real nice try.

There's nothing at all new about that concept (it's existed for as long as football has existed...otherwise they would pass out the national title trophy BEFORE the first game was played). Pay attention here to how college football works:

Pre-season rankings have never, ever - not once ever - been worth a damn. Post season rankings are the one and only valid measure of how good a team is, which is why they pass out the national title trophy AFTER the games are played and the season is over, not before.

VT beat the universally recognized and only decorated best team in the nation, period, in 2014. You can't spin that by saying it doesn't count because OSU wasn't ranked #1 in any useless pre-season polls. What brain cells would have to be dead for that thought to make any sense to begin with?

There's nothing at all new about that concept (it's existed for as long as football has existed...otherwise they would pass out the national title trophy BEFORE the first game was played). Pay attention here to how college football works:

Pre-season rankings have never, ever - not once ever - been worth a damn. Post season rankings are the one and only valid measure of how good a team is, which is why they pass out the national title trophy AFTER the games are played and the season is over, not before.

VT beat the universally recognized and only decorated best team in the nation, period, in 2014. You can't spin that by saying it doesn't count because OSU wasn't ranked #1 in any useless pre-season polls. What brain cells would have to be dead for that thought to make any sense to begin with?
Maybe you need to understand that the team playing week ten is not the same team that plays week one. In fact if my memory servers me correct OSU had a different QB in the title game. Some teams improve as the year goes on and some teams don't. If it makes you feel better to claim you beat a #1 then so be it......but fact is VT has never beaten a team ranked #1.

A third of the top 25 will lose this week. Happens every year.

If you're the type that's proud to beat a pre-season "ranked" team who sucks and was badly overrated and never belonged anywhere near the top 25 to begin with, then congrats on those small victories. That's not me.

Two of the best wins VT has ever had (OSU '14 and WVU '05) came early in the season when the pre-season polls were still royally screwed up and were dead wrong about who was good and who was not. You're attempting to minimalize VT's accomplishments because the pre-season pollsters didn't know their asses from a hole in the ground. But here's the thing, the wins were still wins. The pollsters eventually figured it out and correctly ranked these teams where they belonged...it just took them a while. To say that VT doesn't get credit for beating these teams because they weren't ranked where they should've been is assinine. You can't fix stupid poll voters. Results on the field are the only thing that matters.

OSU was the best team in college football, period, in 2014. They had 1 loss that year. You can't spin that.

Reactions: salemfan32
A third of the top 25 will lose this week. Happens every year.

If you're the type that's proud to beat a pre-season "ranked" team who sucks and was badly overrated and never belonged anywhere near the top 25 to begin with, then congrats on those small victories. That's not me.

Two of the best wins VT has ever had (OSU '14 and WVU '05) came early in the season when the pre-season polls were still royally screwed up and were dead wrong about who was good and who was not. You're attempting to minimalize VT's accomplishments because the pre-season pollsters didn't know their asses from a hole in the ground. But here's the thing, the wins were still wins. The pollsters eventually figured it out and correctly ranked these teams where they belonged...it just took them a while. To say that VT doesn't get credit for beating these teams because they weren't ranked where they should've been is assinine. You can't fix stupid poll voters. Results on the field are the only thing that matters.

OSU was the best team in college football, period, in 2014. They had 1 loss that year. You can't spin that.
And you can't tell me that OSU didn't get better as the year went on. No doubt that is a great win for VT but no matter how you spin this they were not #1 when you beat them.....period....end of game.

Rankings be damned...Anytime you take our roster into their place and get a convincing win over Urban Meyer and their roster (17 drafted/5 in the first round so far) its a helluva win.

Reactions: salemfan32
And you can't tell me that OSU didn't get better as the year went on. No doubt that is a great win for VT but no matter how you spin this they were not #1 when you beat them.....period....end of game.
Your Hoo is really showing through here. Most teams during most years get better as the year goes along.

By your stupid logic, no win in history should ever count unless it happened during the very last game played that season.

UVa didn't beat FSU during the last game in '95, so it doesn't count. FSU got better after that game, so it doesn't matter if UVa beat them or not. It still doesn't count. And here's another small newsflash for you...free of charge. FSU OBVIOUSLY was not #1 at the time you beat them or they would never had lost to you to begin with. You can't fix the stupid poll voters who had them erroneously ranked in the wrong place when you played them. FSU sure didn't finish #1 that season and it wasn't their only loss...and that's because they were never the best team, period, at any point in that season. You might've beat the team that was ranked incorrectly in 1995, but you sure as hell didn't beat the best team.

Last edited:
LOL....I knew I could get the board in an uproar with this discussion. I have to give it to VT, you have a real knack for beating teams that go on to great seasons while you finish 7-5. Seems to be a touchy point for you guys......so let me say again a great win against a team that wasn't ranked #1.....maybe Daisy can finally get VT that win against a #1 ranked team.......or not.

LOL....I knew I could get the board in an uproar with this discussion. I have to give it to VT, you have a real knack for beating teams that go on to great seasons while you finish 7-5. Seems to be a touchy point for you guys......so let me say again a great win against a team that wasn't ranked #1.....maybe Daisy can finally get VT that win against a #1 ranked team.......or not.
We all know My lil Pony wont get UVA there.

No we don't have a knack for beating top teams then going 7-5. Just Ohio State.
That's what I was thinking, too. VT's TRUE talent under Beamer was getting smoked by top teams and then going 10-2. 2014 was just about the most polar opposite thing that has happened to VT in the last 30 years. A genuine outlier.

That true talent listed above will be engraved at the bottom of his statue one day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT