ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Requires ACC Scheduling to Change

PACKed House

Hokie Hall of Fame
Oct 17, 2001
From the article...
With commissioner John Swofford, ACC athletic directors will convene via conference call at 9 a.m. Friday to deliberate, and perhaps approve, one of two options provided by ESPN: expand the league schedule from eight to nine games, while continuing to play at least one outside Power Five opponent annually; or, remain at eight conference games and play at least two nonleague Power Fives each season.

What are your preferences. Personally, I would like NC State to schedule 2 nonleague Power Fives each season. Although I think our AD wants the 9 game ACC schedule. As a season ticket holder, seeing good teams from other conferences would create a better atmosphere. And the national exposure would be nice too. What are you guys thoughts on VT?

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-nine-vote-post.html

I would vote for the 9 conference games, I see your point Pack but I can't stand the way it is now when some teams have to play the best teams in the conference while others don't play the Clemsons or FSU's. I really miss the days when every ACC team had to play everyone. I don't like these huge conferences that we have now. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
I think everyone should have to play everyone. Schedules should be balanced.
Also, the ACC should not play Big 10 teams. Play SEC teams or Big 12 teams.

I would vote for the 9 conference games, I see your point Pack but I can't stand the way it is know when some teams have to play the best teams in the conference while others don't play the Clemsons or FSU's. I really miss the days when every ACC team had to play everyone. I don't like these huge conferences that we have now. Just my 2 cents worth.

It is tough for my Wolfpack in the Atlantic. I had a Tarhole talking trash to me about how UNC was picked to win the Coastal while State was only picked 4th in Atlantic. I asked him where UNC would be picked if he had FSU, Clemson, and Louisville in his division. The clueless Tarhole had nothing to say. Adding to the difficulty, we play the preseason top 2 from the Coastal. So if we add a 9th game, maybe we drop ODU and add VT. Clemson, FSU, Louisville, UNC, Miami, BC, Wake, Syracuse, add VT. Now we only have 3 OOC games...two of them being Notre Dame and ECU. No worries! :D
kramer_zpshy4ih6pp.gif

No ACC school should ever play Notre Dame. I think there's some requirement that ND play 5 ACC games or something, but that rule is cow manure. The NCAA should force ND to join Big 10, or drop out of NCAA.

It is tough for my Wolfpack in college athletics. I asked him where UNC would be picked if he had FSU, Clemson, and Louisville in his division.

First of all, I fixed that for you.

You just didn't talk to the right guy. My immediate response to your perennial excuse would have been "Judging by 35-7 after one quarter on Fedora Field at the cow palace I'd wager somewhere above moo u."

Tell ya what packed one, since the Coastal is such a cake walk why don't you share moo's sterling record against Coastal teams over the last...oh let's say...4/5 years with us? Surely the moo pack is undefeated against such a weak division aren't they? I mean, the mighty, mighty mooers OWN the coastal don't they? It's such a disadvantage playing the Atlantic that I'm sure moo would be Coastal Champions each and every year!

Face it big mouth, if it wasn't for Wake and Syracuse you world-beaters would be at the bottom of the barrel in the ACC. moo "athletics" is a freaking joke, just like their chest-pounding-over-nothing fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dookie-Ball

You just didn't talk to the right guy. My immediate response to your perennial excuse would have been "Judging by 35-7 after one quarter on Fedora Field at the cow palace I'd wager somewhere above moo u."

Tell ya what packed one, since the Coastal is such a cake walk why don't you share moo's sterling record against Coastal teams over the last...oh let's say...4/5 years with us? Surely the moo pack is undefeated against such a weak division aren't they? I mean, the mighty, mighty mooers OWN the coastal don't they? It's such a disadvantage playing the Atlantic that I'm sure moo would be Coastal Champions each and every year!

Face it big mouth, if it wasn't for Wake and Syracuse you world-beaters would be at the bottom of the barrel in the ACC. moo "athletics" is a freaking joke, just like their chest-pounding-over-nothing fans.

Wow, I missed that game last year. The Heels had them down 35-7 after one quarter? And then the Wolfpack outscored them 27-10 from there on... in Chapel Hill? Well congrats on coming out on top, and be glad you only had to play them once.

State was in every game they played last year. They could have an interesting year.

From the article...
With commissioner John Swofford, ACC athletic directors will convene via conference call at 9 a.m. Friday to deliberate, and perhaps approve, one of two options provided by ESPN: expand the league schedule from eight to nine games, while continuing to play at least one outside Power Five opponent annually; or, remain at eight conference games and play at least two nonleague Power Fives each season.

What are your preferences. Personally, I would like NC State to schedule 2 nonleague Power Fives each season. Although I think our AD wants the 9 game ACC schedule. As a season ticket holder, seeing good teams from other conferences would create a better atmosphere. And the national exposure would be nice too. What are you guys thoughts on VT?

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-nine-vote-post.html
I'm for nine games Pack. When we got here we were playing Clemson and FSU pretty regular. Haven't seen them for quite a while and would like to be playing them more.

I want to add the conference game and play an Atlantic division opponent. With the current schedule its almost like we aren't in the same conference for football.

Reactions: genghis_card
I want to add the conference game and play an Atlantic division opponent. With the current schedule its almost like we aren't in the same conference for football.

I agree. And drop the permanent cross-conference rival so the Hokies don't get BC every year and the Cards don't get UVA. With 3 rotating cross-conference games every year we'd all play each other almost every other year.

I agree. And drop the permanent cross-conference rival so the Hokies don't get BC every year and the Cards don't get UVA. With 3 rotating cross-conference games every year we'd all play each other almost every other year.
Yeah, my understanding is that the permanent rival thing was created solely so that FSU and Miami could continue to play national title elimination games on Labor Day every year. And, of course, they haven't played one since.

It was a stupid idea back when it happened and it's still a stupid idea. They didn't want FSU and Miami in the same side of the conference so that they could meet in the ACC Championship game for a rematch every year...and, of course, they have never played in one. Enough already. Next thing you know, the ACC will roll out a special set of rules just for teams like Notre Dame or something. Oh wait...

I recall when ACC figured that FSU and Miami would play in ACC championship game every year, therefore they put game in State of Florida.

Yeah, my understanding is that the permanent rival thing was created solely so that FSU and Miami could continue to play national title elimination games on Labor Day every year. And, of course, they haven't played one since.

It was a stupid idea back when it happened and it's still a stupid idea. They didn't want FSU and Miami in the same side of the conference so that they could meet in the ACC Championship game for a rematch every year...and, of course, they have never played in one. Enough already. Next thing you know, the ACC will roll out a special set of rules just for teams like Notre Dame or something. Oh wait...

Yeah...It was thought that if the FSU/Miami game was played early, that the loser would have time to work their way back up the polls allowing the chance of 2 ACC teams getting into the big money BCS bowls. That never panned out. I think the biggest problem is scheduling. Easier to line up games against conference members than P5 non-conference. Probably why they go that way.

I'll answer since she didn't like how it hurt her narrative. Unc-r was 1-7. That would be good for last place in the Coastal.

No ACC school should ever play Notre Dame. I think there's some requirement that ND play 5 ACC games or something, but that rule is cow manure. The NCAA should force ND to join Big 10, or drop out of NCAA.

Awww Hampton don't you know that Notre Dame is the NCAA's sweet wittle bitty baby? Always makes special rules for those clowns. I think VT upsets the golden domers.

There is 2 NCAA policy books, one for ND and one for all other schools. No school should receive special favors from NCAA. Everyone should play by same rules. It burns me up when I see something about a NCAA meeting with conference commissioners................................and Notre Dame Athletic Director in attendance. Why not all other school's ADs ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT