ADVERTISEMENT

FYI the mighty VT Defense returns 7 starters. Top 10 for sure next yr

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
2015 will see the legendary Bud Foster and his defense re-enter the top 10 with 7 back on D to include a full time starting role for future VT All-American CJ Reavis.

7? Andrew M has become a starter. We return 9 starters, plus Maddy, plus Facyson.

Originally posted by VTSmitty:

7? Andrew M has become a starter. We return 9 starters, plus Maddy, plus Facyson. If we can just get a decent, not great, just decent O-line, we would be ready to challenge FSU for the ACC title.
dead.r191677.gif

And consider the additional depth on D with the kids coming in and off their red shirts.

Need to land some big DLs this year to add some depth upfront. The defense will be very good, but we need to recruit depth as well.

Originally posted by Hokiepoke:
If we can just get a decent, not great, just decent O-line, we would be ready to challenge FSU for the ACC title.
dead.r191677.gif
Uhh...I think we'll need a lot more than that on that side of the ball. It also wouldn't hurt if we fielded some half-decent special teams for a change. It's been a long time since either unit was an asset and not a liability.

We should be in good shape with defense, and if all our RBs can get healthy and stay healthy, we should be loaded on both sides of ball.

I think we may need to look at our conditioning program and practice deal. We have too many players get hurt. I sometimes winder if we "hit" too much in practice.

Originally posted by hokiemtc:
Originally posted by Hokiepoke:
If we can just get a decent, not great, just decent O-line, we would be ready to challenge FSU for the ACC title.
dead.r191677.gif
Uhh...I think we'll need a lot more than that on that side of the ball. It also wouldn't hurt if we fielded some half-decent special teams for a change. It's been a long time since either unit was an asset and not a liability.
definitely. slye improved a lot from the beginning of the year to the end. hopefully hughes can find his 2013 form. stroman looks good returning punts. knowles looks awful returning kickoffs so hopefully they keep him out of that role next year. i'm cautiously optimistic about next year's team. if the offense can manage to put up just 28 points a game we should be able to return previous form.

Anybody hear anything on Holland Fisher? He was supposed to be our next stud at safety. Did he redshirt this year? Speaking of studs, whatever became of the great Korren Kirven, who "would wipe up the field" at VT but have yet to see him on the field for Alabama?

Kirven is another player who should have gone to VT. London from Roanoke, Grant from Richmond, among others. These players who reject VT, most are never heard of again.

Sidebar: at least Kirven went to a good program, unlike some.
This post was edited on 12/2 1:40 PM by Hampton Roads 6

Originally posted by Mcjiggles:
Anybody hear anything on Holland Fisher? He was supposed to be our next stud at safety. Did he redshirt this year? Speaking of studs, whatever became of the great Korren Kirven, who "would wipe up the field" at VT but have yet to see him on the field for Alabama?
Kirven has played some for Alabama these past two years. I think he started the Kentucky game in 2013. Two other Virginians are doing quite well at Alabama. Jonathan Allen is starting and DeShawn Hand saw considerable playing time as a freshman. Those two would definitely be mopping up the field at VT.

Yeah, the other two were also big-time 5 star prospects..... which we are never able to pull. Allen did not consider VT and we all know Hand's story. They'll both be successful at Bama but Kirven could have helped himself by following Logan to VT. This again shows that there is a disconnect with our staff and high end talent across the state. We need a youth movement with some fire and zeal to be able to relate and convince kids that VT is not your daddy's VT anymore!

Justin London actually had a great career at UCLA. He never did anything in the NFL or anything but he was a starter at UCLA. But that other dude from Brookville should have went to VT. He is getting passed by incoming freshman now but he does not seem to mind. He likes the rings. Just check his Twitter. D'shawn Hand may end up with the same fate. Could have been all world at VT. But at Bama there is no patience if you dont have what it takes right now somebody else on the roster does.

This post was edited on 12/3 7:22 AM by RB4

The funny thing about Kirven's recruiting is that Nick Saban cut loose an Alabama kid who always wanted to play there in favor of Kirven, who was ranked higher by whatever recruiting service they use at Alabama. The other kid went to Arkansas where he'll probably make all-SEC this year while Kirven is struggling for playing time.

Originally posted by Flashman:
The funny thing about Kirven's recruiting is that Nick Saban cut loose an Alabama kid who always wanted to play there in favor of Kirven, who was ranked higher by whatever recruiting service they use at Alabama. The other kid went to Arkansas where he'll probably make all-SEC this year while Kirven is struggling for playing time.
Darius Philon. He was so set on Bama that he hadnt taken any other visits. Committed in front of his HS only to find out hrs later that Bama had took Kirven over him because Kirven was higher ranked. I still remember that kid crying and upset because of the way Saban done him. He went to Arkansas instead without ever having made any visits.

Darius Philon started the last 5 games in 2013 and had 46 tackles, 9 for loss and 3 sacks. Hes the starting DT at Arkansas this year and a beast. Revenge is sweet....

I remember this as well with Philon......I felt so bad for this kid and his family. Saban tossed him away like a piece of trash, if he would have had any class he would have told him before he was made to look like a fool on signing day. Saban is a good coach who just happens to be a piece of .........

ADVERTISEMENT