ADVERTISEMENT

GT In-game Thread

Motu continues to catch the offensive player and spin him forward in order to tackle him. Our defense is not delivering the blow.

Good heavens that was horrible.

6 in the box against a triple option team? Seriously? My local peewee team has better sense than that, ESPECIALLY given that GT is missing their starting center, QB and RB, and has virtually zero downfield passing ability. Bud has been doing this for how long?

And that offensive play calling was pretty clueless. GT has one of the worst pass defenses in the country, and is the dead worst in 3rd down defense. A few people here said I had no business criticizing the play calling over the last few weeks, but I'm telling you folks...it's really, really bad at times. Sure, it's pretty good at other times, but there's a red flag here some of you need to stop ignoring.

Last edited:
Travon MacMillan looks lost at times. If we are going to run him off tackle, I like Marshawn Williams. He's bigger and delivers a blow. Our running game is basically the jet sweep and our QB keeping the ball.

Good heavens that was horrible.

6 in the box against a triple option team? Seriously? My local peewee team has better sense than that, ESPECIALLY given that GT is missing their starting center, QB and RB, and has virtually zero downfield passing ability. Bud has been doing this for how long?

And that offensive play calling was pretty clueless. GT has one of the worst pass defenses in the country, and is the dead worst in 3rd down defense. A few people here said I had no business criticizing the play calling over the last few weeks, but I'm telling you folks...it's really, really bad at times. Sure, it's pretty good at other times, but there's a red flag here some of need to stop ignoring.
looks like Stiney is the special guest in the booth today.

We turned the gift from GT into 7 points. Now the defense needs to come and play. Edmunds should be back for the 2nd half. Due to the one play on D so far, I didn't notice him yet.

Well, what do you know...8 in the box to start the 2nd half. Did it really take 30 minutes of game time to figure that out?

I think we are going down today. It seems as though we could pass on them all day long. Why do we continue to run the ball? The designed QB runs are hit or miss. I like our chances if we can just spread them out and have the QB run when the coverage is good.

GT's defense gave up 48 points last week to UNC. Before that, they gave up 35 to Duke, 37 to Pitt and 35 to Miami.

VT's offense has put up 7 points thru 3 quarters. 7 points.

GT's defense gave up 48 points last week to UNC. Before that, they gave up 35 to Duke, 37 to Pitt and 35 to Miami.

VT's offense has put up 7 points thru 3 quarters. 7 points.
And if it was not for the GT turnover, we may not even have 7.

THAT drive right there should've been the offense we ran all game. Too bad we didn't roll it out until there was 5:00 left.

Boy, what a terrible game today. Our returner fumbles it on the 1st touch, we really missed Strohman. We looked absolutely lost in the first drive. How can this team look so good at times and when we get a game we need, we lay an egg, at home,no less?

How many passes of over 20 yards down the field did we throw today? Evans was way off his passes most of the game, always late with the throw,throwing off his back foot, was he injured?This was one that Frank would have at least kept closer.

I'm gonna say it. Motley should have come in half way through the second quarter. Evans was struggling. We have a competent "bull pen" and if we look that bad, mix it up. Two games where we didn't show up at all and if we had of, we would be in great shape. When we start off like that I think Motley should get a chance for some playing time, he's at least earned the relief role and presents different problems for the opposing D.

Also, one more thing. I think we miss Torrian Gray as the DB coach this year. Can't remember if he was a victim of the Fuentes move to head coach or he took the Florida job when he could have stayed.

We could possibly be ranked #2 in nation right now if we had beat Syracuse and GT. We would be n hunt for playoff spot. We have got to learn how to demolish inferior teams. We scored 37 points combined against 2 sorry defenses. Should have had 37 against both and more.

Turnovers, turnovers, bad defense and a lot of Motuapuaka (god he is awful) is a surefire recipe for a loss. I got a little flak for raising alarms about our a defense a few weeks back, but this is the third game in a row we've been brutalized on the ground. In fact, between Pitt, Duke and GT our fun-size front 7 gave up 240 yards on average. Also, I didn't take tally of the 20+ 30+ yard plays, but I know we gave up two runs of over 50 yards, and a 3rd down for around 20 or so yards. Our defense continues to give up chunks and chunks of yardage, which usually points to a major breakdown.

Obviously, the offense was horrible yesterday too. But the defense allowing GT to chew up clock like that, giving up long run after long run and crucial third down plays, is not acceptable and teams have started to figure out (as they do every year, it seems) that pounding our undersized defense over and over is the best way to go.

We could possibly be ranked #2 in nation right now if we had beat Syracuse and GT.
Possibly, but then we'd be the worst #2 ranked team of all-time. If we're ever going to be ranked #2 again, I'd just as soon for it to not be as a pretender.

Our coaching on both sides of the ball right now is suprisingly bad.

Possibly, but then we'd be the worst #2 ranked team of all-time. If we're ever going to be ranked #2 again, I'd just as soon for it to not be as a pretender.

Our coaching on both sides of the ball right now is suprisingly bad.

OMG...where would Tech be if Beamer were still in Blacksburg?

You guys should be damn happy where you are...I think y'all get to ACCCG in Fuentes 1st year...

Could be a lot worse, look at Texas and Charlie Strong...$$$$, recruiting base, 5 yrs, and still may not make it to a bowl ....

It would be good if Texas not go to a bowl. They are on my list of teams I despise. i.e. Ohio state, Michigan, All Pac 10 teams, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia, etc.

We could possibly be ranked #2 in nation right now if we had beat Syracuse and GT. We would be n hunt for playoff spot. We have got to learn how to demolish inferior teams. We scored 37 points combined against 2 sorry defenses. Should have had 37 against both and more.
Bet you wish you were Louisville now HR......LOL

Turnovers, turnovers, bad defense and a lot of Motuapuaka (god he is awful) is a surefire recipe for a loss. I got a little flak for raising alarms about our a defense a few weeks back, but this is the third game in a row we've been brutalized on the ground. In fact, between Pitt, Duke and GT our fun-size front 7 gave up 240 yards on average. Also, I didn't take tally of the 20+ 30+ yard plays, but I know we gave up two runs of over 50 yards, and a 3rd down for around 20 or so yards. Our defense continues to give up chunks and chunks of yardage, which usually points to a major breakdown.

Obviously, the offense was horrible yesterday too. But the defense allowing GT to chew up clock like that, giving up long run after long run and crucial third down plays, is not acceptable and teams have started to figure out (as they do every year, it seems) that pounding our undersized defense over and over is the best way to go.

As bad as defense played, they gave a chance to win in 3rd quarter, with 3 straight 3 and outs. Our offense proceeded to throw a pic, drop a 4th down pass, and fumble. After that the defense checked out. The last 3 games have shown me that at Pitt, above average offense with poor defense, at Duke, average offense with average defense, gt, below average offense with average defense, we were 2 and 1. With same team as last year, I know that would have produced an 0 and 3 record. The comfort I take is not having to depend on an above average defensive effort every week for a shot at a 6 and 6 record.

Bet you wish you were Louisville now HR......LOL

Louisville is one of the biggest chicken manure schools in the nation. I would never wish I was Louisville. Heck I hate driving thru there on my way to St Louis on I 64 when I travel west.

OMG...where would Tech be if Beamer were still in Blacksburg?

You guys should be damn happy where you are...I think y'all get to ACCCG in Fuentes 1st year...

Could be a lot worse, look at Texas and Charlie Strong...$$$$, recruiting base, 5 yrs, and still may not make it to a bowl ....

I'm happy. Anyone expecting a seamless and perfectly smooth transition should relax. We've already matched our win total from the last two seasons, and we still have 3, and possibly 4, games left. Every time we've come out with a stinker, we've responded nicely. If we finish 2-0, we're looking at 9-3 and a date with Clemson or Louisville -- neither of whom are unbeatable. Even if we split ND and UVa (beating UVa) that's still 8-4 and a championship berth for the first time in 5 years.

We're fine. Fuente knows what he's doing. I suspect next year we will see fewer hiccups like these.

Good post, but with a few breaks we could be undefeated right now, knocking on door for playoffs. We should have never lost to Syracuse or GT. Hold onto ball against TN and we destroy Old Rocky Top.

I see the Bowl Projection Gurus have VT vs Florida in Jacksonville Bowl

Good post, but with a few breaks we could be undefeated right now, knocking on door for playoffs. We should have never lost to Syracuse or GT. Hold onto ball against TN and we destroy Old Rocky Top.

I see the Bowl Projection Gurus have VT vs Florida in Jacksonville Bowl

My Gamecocks beat ole Rocky Top....it was bitter sweet since I live in a divided family amongst three teams.....Carolina/UT/Clemson.....my family of origin is divided between Carolina/Clemson and my spouse's family is all UT....I live in Johnson City/Erwin area on top of that...lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT