ADVERTISEMENT

Heels, is Roy Williams really worth what you pay him?

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
All that talent and some games they look lost.

Congrats to NCS for showing up to play in Chapel Hill.

Something is missing in Chapel Hill. UNC should have lost only one game this season...............(Duke)

Once again HR you show your BB knowledge is as bad as your football knowledge.....Duke is the only game they lost that they should have had won, the rest of their loses were well deserved. Congrats to the Pack....this win should get NC St in Tournament if they don't do anything stupid down the stretch. The funny one is Syracuse, they self banned themselves when they looked like an NIT team.....since, they have been playing great and would be an NCAA team now....bet they are kicking themselves at this point.

The Duke-UNC game is the only ACC game I have watched this season. I thought UNC looked good against the Blue Devils, even though they lost.

Roy is a class act. He's worth it. Apr 2016, UNC may have another title.

Roy is a good man. I don't care what anyone says. He's a class act. Carolina had an institutional problem with the cheating academic scandal that speaks of a horrific culture problem. This does not equate to EVERYONE in the culture being tainted or corrupt. Roy is a typical Western Carolina guy that has remained humble and in my opinion, he's a good person and a good man. Carolina has a young super talented team and has been in most of those games they lost including a loss to Kentucky in which Kentucky may have played its best game of the year. Carolina will enter the tournament with about 10 or 11 losses, maybe 12 and probably be a 6 or 7 seed. They are dangerous. They are also one year away from being a legitimate top 3 team and will be a preseason top 3 team in America with what they return. Even on this one down year for them, would anyone be shocked if they made the sweet 16 as a 6 or 7 seed? Of course not. Not only that, it's no shock if they made the final 8 and with that written, I think they have the talent to make the final four. I do not think they will make the final four and they are not anywhere close to a national title, but keep this in mind.......outside of Kentucky, it is a crapshoot. See......UCONN last year. College Basketball has changed to the point that if 2 top teams can be knocked out of the tournament that are likely the best 2 teams, then there is about 8 different teams that can win it.

Re: Roy is a class act. He's worth it. Apr 2016, UNC may have another title.

Good observations locust. This is one of those years I would not be surprised if the four #1 seeds get beat early, and I hope they do. I'd love to see 4 "no-bodys" in final 4..

Didn't his program have similar issues while at Kansas?

Originally posted by VA4VT:

I agree with Locust's entire post except that Williams is clean, good man, etc. I'm from the camp that he knew what was going on. He's way too smart not to have known, and his initial treatment of the PJ Hairston thing was the final straw in his scum hat for me.

And you really think Huckleberry Hound is clean. OK I have some ocean front property in Coal Bank Hollow and if you buy that I'll throw the Peppers Ferry Bridge in free..........................................................

1+1 =2

Ol' Roy acts like he is just wondering what they are doing out there lately.

Huckleberry Hound, ha! I can see it too.

Heels where are you?

This post was edited on 2/25 7:58 PM by BigDaddyHokie

Roy is a good coach (just not a great one). I think he recruits very well, but his teams rarely reach their full potential. This year's team is a good example. They are capable of beating anyone or losing to almost anyone. They should make the Sweat 16 (depending on match-ups). If playing well they could make the Elite 8.

As far as the tournament goes, there is only one very good team (Kentucky). Everyone else is good at best. There are no great teams this year so the field is wide open. If Kentucky wins out, they will be considered a great team (undefeated national champions). However, they have only played about 4 currently ranked teams this year (only Kansas a top ten team). Texas was ranked 6 when they played Kentucky, but are not even ranked now. This is a very good Kentucky team, but there have been better Kentucky teams that did not win the NC. Just my thoughts.

Go Hokies, beat UVA!

Originally posted by SunnyBeachWave:

Originally posted by VA4VT:

I agree with Locust's entire post except that Williams is clean, good man, etc. I'm from the camp that he knew what was going on. He's way too smart not to have known, and his initial treatment of the PJ Hairston thing was the final straw in his scum hat for me.
Roy is not a class act. He's done the typical lie of "I didn't know". All coaches are control freaks, or they wouldn't be coaches. It is not even close to being credible that he didn't know. I'll bet almost everyone who passed through that campus knew. You can't hide that stuff.

Roy was voted by his peers as the most overrated coach in college basketball. That was after he barely made the NIT with 8 McDonald All Americans on his roster. Roy does not beat you with his coaching, but by having superior talent. Now that Kentucky, Duke, and a few others are getting the players he used to get, and his players might actually have to go to class, UNC is no longer the dominant force they once were. I fully expect Roy to announce his resignation sooner rather than later.If Buzz had the talent Roy has this year, VT would be looked as a Final Four team.

I saw where Barkley told Kenny Smith he had plenty of time for practice since he didn't have to go to class......LMAO

I remember an Indiana team (coached by Bobby Knight) with only Steve Alford and 6-7 no names beat a NC team with: Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, Brad Dougherty and James Worthy on it. Different era but same MO.

The Heels had Dook on the ropes and let them back into the game and then fell apart. Wa Wa

If UNC would play everyone as well as they played Duke, they would have only 2 losses. I'd love to see an ACC championship game between Duke and UNC.

Originally posted by pahokie77:

Roy is a good coach (just not a great one). I think he recruits very well, but his teams rarely reach their full potential. .
Hard to tell how great of a recruiter he is. If he was coaching at UNC-Charlotte and pulling in a couple top 100 recruits every year I'd give him props but Kansas and UNCheat?

Looks like Roy substituted UNC out of the game(again) tonight.With about 8 minutes left,he kept number zero in the game with four timeouts left while 0 made three mistakes that resulted in Badger scores.By the time Roy took him out Wisconsin had closed the gap and had taken back momentum. At least that was my view.

The Heels looked fine until the end. The Badgers just turned it on at the right time and the Heels had no answer.

Mary Willingham and Jay Smith had discussed their book "Cheated" and took some questions at a book signing last week. C-Span televised it and I have linked it below. FYI - In case you get confused...the professor that starts off the show kept referring to Jay as Jeff.

C-Span

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT