ADVERTISEMENT

Hoo Lurkers

iceburg_2487

Freshman
Oct 17, 2005
I usually don't chide you when you lose, but I'll congratulate you when you win. Congratulation Hoo's. With where your program is and the direction I believe Buzz Williams has the Virginia Tech program heading, I'm excited for many years of excellent basketball games like the one today.

I have not watched hoos play and will not watch them. but from all accounts they were lucky today. hopefully Duke. UNC and Loueyville will beat them.

Got lucky, really? UVA played ball when they needed to and Tech did not. UVA forced Tech to take horrible shots down the stretch, while they made the shots to win. Not much luck for UVA today, Tech got all the breaks and could not win.

Thanks. Y'all played a hell of a game. The 2-3 zone was causing us problems. I think Buzz will have you guys back in the top 25 in a few years.

We need some horses, plain and simple. We have a coach who's proven he can win a few games, but we don't have any players who have proven that they can win a few games. Until we have both in place, it's going to be a lot of near misses and what could've beens.

HR, good teams find a way to win and bad teams find a way to lose.....today was a good example of both.

One thing I've noticed watching college BB for years is that on a given night a good team like UVA that plays a "not-to-loose" style can be beat by a team playing a go-for-broke style. Usually the fans get involved and the majority of the calls go the way of the more aggressive team.

At the end of the game the Hoos starting playing "go-for-broke" and their better athletes and deeper bench hushed the crowd and brought the refs back down and they pulled out the win.

I've heard it said and agree that Dean Smith is the only person that held Michael Jordan below 20 pts a game.

When Smith had that many athletes then, as does UVA now, the coach needs to turn them loose all game and not just at the end. Had the Hoos been playing hard early the game would not have been close. Its all coaching.

I think TB was experimenting with line ups too much in the first half. That kept the game close which made is tight and gave y'all confidence.

#2 in the nation , playing your instate rival and Lucky to win. Lucky to Win, VT is a bottom feeder.Quit making excuses, Buzz and his boys took It to your Rear...I bet the bus ride home could reflect that too. Go Hokies..
This post was edited on 1/26 9:59 AM by Jackcrow

HR did you type something, I must have passed right by it as I usually do with your hatred posts concerning UVA but anyhoo luck and being good go hand in hand you know like a marriage.

Luck? We got all the calls, UVA did not. They made plays when they needed to and went on a 12-0 run (or something like that) to end the game. They forced Tech to take horrible shots at the end of each possession (lots of off balance 3's) down the final 3 minutes of the game. Tech took a page from the Beamer and played not to lose when they were up, and like the football team it came back to bite them for a loss.

Knew someone would find a way to bring Beamer into it. East coast storm this weekend was probably his fault too.

Originally posted by piz hokies:

Tech took a page from the Beamer and played not to lose when they were up, and like the football team it came back to bite them for a loss.
I disagree. Buzz Williams was not playing not to lose like Beamer does, he was coaching his tail off. UVA executed down the stretch and prevented Tech from executing. That's what good teams do. We're not there yet, but when Tech has more depth and experience, as UVA does, they will begin to win some of the games like this. I think its destined to be a great series between Buzz and Bennett going at each other. Both are extremely competent coaches.

Say what one wants to say, but UVA was lucky to leave Blacksburg with a win. I would bet every UVA player and coach feels that way.

Go Blue Devils !

Doubt it, for someone who did not see the game, HR... UVA was down 10, that is nothing in bball. They did not get lucky, they stepped up their O and D and won, made shots. VT could not make plays at the end.

Yes, Buzz coached them up, but fact is, we thought a 10 point lead would win it down the stretch and we did not execute. Just like in football, the O goes 3 and out, puts all the pressure on a tired D to hold a team for a win. See where that has gotten us.

This post was edited on 1/26 11:18 AM by piz hokies

It's very typical in basketball for a young team with limited depth like we have to struggle with execution while trying to withstand a late game rally against a team with a lot more depth and experience. I don't see that as comparable to Beamer's philosophy of sitting on a lead with conservative play calling and trying to complete the win with field position and defense.

Originally posted by mrjolly01:

It's very typical in basketball for a young team with limited depth like we have to struggle with execution while trying to withstand a late game rally against a team with a lot more depth and experience. I don't see that as comparable to Beamer's philosophy of sitting on a lead with conservative play calling and trying to complete the win with field position and defense.
+1. Nailed it.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

Say what one wants to say, but UVA was lucky to leave Blacksburg with a win. I would bet every UVA player and coach feels that way.

Go Blue Devils !
HR you are priceless. Your sense of humor is absolutly wonderful

I hate to tell you HR's dead serious.......I know it's hard to believe but his mind works in strange ways.

Anyone who says or thinks UVA was not lucky, does not know basketball.
Instead of saying that over and over, share with us why you think they were lucky. Be specific. I find it funny that you talk about other people not knowing basketball when, in the only other active thread on here, you just finished posting that you "do not follow basketball that closely", and "pay very little attention as to who has beat who".

These days I do not follow basketball closely, but I did follow it real close back in the day.

Anytime a team wins a one possession game, they need luck on their side.

As Richard Petty once said: "I rather be lucky than good any race day"

These days I do not follow basketball closely, but I did follow it real close back in the day.

Anytime a team wins a one possession game, they need luck on their side.

As Richard Petty once said: "I rather be lucky than good any race day"
Not sure this is being very specific. Were they lucky we only scored 4 points the final 10+ minutes? Did we miss all lay ups, or did their defense maybe have a little bit to do with it? Had we hit the 3 to tie them, and then won by one possession in OT, would that have been a "lucky" win for us too? Yea, I'm sure you would have said how lucky we were to win, right? Are you willing to use this same logic with football, and, therefore admit your beloved Bama team was lucky several times this year? I guess without a little luck, Bama would have lost 5 games this year. Or, I guess you can always talk about how "lucky" we were to beat them in football this year, right?

I really don't follow your luck explanation, but no big deal. Call it what you want. All I know is we are now 0-6 in the ACC and you are busy calling a team that is 7-0 in the ACC and #2 in the country lucky. Sounds silly to me, but again, no big deal.

HR since you admitted you didn't watch the game your opinion of luck means squat.....stick to softball and leave the men's sports to the rest of us.

Anyone who says or thinks UVA was not lucky, does not know basketball.
This is illogical. Our team ran out of gas. Their team picked up the pace. We lost fair and square. I think you are writing about yourself here.

Guys...this was meant to be a congratulatory thread.Can we stop bickering amongst ourselves?

Good teams find ways to win games when things don't go their way...

You are maybe misconsrtruing HR and me. HR is one of the anchors of this board and I hold him in a very high esteem and he knows it. We joke back and forth but I thinki he is a true and blue Hokie til the end.

I thought there may be some undue animosity between hoo19 and HR. I've been around long enough to never doubt HR's allegiance.

Originally posted by iceburg_2487:
I thought there may be some undue animosity between hoo19 and HR. I've been around long enough to never doubt HR's allegiance.
I don't speak for either but I don't think there are any hard feelings between them Hoos is our resident Hoo and he and HR are always bantering but I think it's in good faith. Hoos has been a regular here for years and I think HR invented the free board.

LOL....leeanderthal is correct...HR and I know each other and he knows it's all in good fun.....but he is a homer through and through....

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
LOL....leeanderthal is correct...HR and I know each other and he knows it's all in good fun.....but he is a homer through and through....
I may not know a lot of things, but I do know that Jack doesn't like the BLuE CloWNs and HR6 will leave if we ever have to punt.

The two of them are like the North Star in my Hokie sky.

...and Hoos...well he's just trying to figure out how many national championships in things other than football it will take to earn some respect around here, and why he didn't have the good sense to go to VT in the first place. Maybe March will bring another championship to the Hoos tally?

Originally posted by VA4VT:

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
I may not know a lot of things, but I do know that Jack doesn't like the BLuE CloWNs and HR6 will leave if we ever have to punt.

The two of them are like the North Star in my Hokie sky.

...and Hoos...well he's just trying to figure out how many national championships in things other than football it will take to earn some respect around here, and why he didn't have the good sense to go to VT in the first place. Maybe March will bring another championship to the Hoos tally?

Birdie married into the Hokie Nation, he is Hokie by proxy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT