ADVERTISEMENT

I suspect an abnormal effort is going to go into winnning this week-end

leeanderthal

Hokie Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2006
I believe that they will take Brewer and hope they can make a run with him.
If we lose this week-end the walls could come crashing down.
Personally I believe that it is too late for Beamer regardless.

It's too bad Beamer-coached teams don't put in an abnormal effort to win every week-end.

We'll see how this plays out. Some more losses and I can see Beamer doing a Spurrier.
I don't see Beamer quitting on his team....he might retire at the end of the season but I can't see him quitting on his boys. No one has answered my question on how long Beamer has left on his contract? I still think that plays a big role in when he stops coaching.....if he's got 3 years or more left I believe he's back next year.

Well, it can be blamed on effort, prep, the coaching, the players, team chemistry, recruiting, poor offense, poor defense, poor special teams, poor decision making, injuries, etc., but when the end of the excuses has been reached there's only one guy responsible for keeping the win-loss record where it needs to be. And he's not doing it anymore.

I think he wil not quit coaching until the end of th regular season but I do believe it is possible that he could announce that he is done by the end of the season at any time .

Hope Stinespring has invested his money. I don't think there is anyway he will be kept on after Beamer leaves. Dead weight. At this point I can't see anything he brings to the table that benefits Virginia Tech. What other coaches do you see leaving in a house cleaning? Loeffler?

I could see Bud leave if he doesn't get the head job....might want a chance to be a DC at one of the big boys and have a shot at a national championship.

I expect most of our assistant coaches will land other jobs when Beamer's gone. Laffler's reputation as an OC is probably ruined though, following his Auburn and VT performances. Foster, Gray, Wiles, and Searles should be pretty solid prospects to retain their current status on another staff. Depends of course on whether Whit goes for a head coach or hot coordinator. We probably retain more current assistants if we hire a coordinator. Personally I would rather have a successful head coach and a good portion of his staff. You just never know how a coordinator is going to step up into the head coaching role.

[QUOTE="mrjolly01, Laffler's reputation as an OC is probably ruined though,

It was terrible when we got him.

Well, everyone wanted to get rid of Stiney so bad that we would have made excuses for hiring a monkey, even though his lack of experience would have gone largely unnoticed because it was more about getting rid of Stiney than who we hired to replace him. In Laffler’s case, his experience being a mediocre year at Temple as OC, and on to Auburn for a disastrous season which was written off as just a problem with Laffler adjusting to Chizik, or vice versa, instead with the focus being which QB’s he had coached or was personal friends with, and of course his offensive philosophies. But we found out, although we may never know if it was Laffler, or Laffler doing Beamer’s work, the offense didn't get better. All we know for sure is it hasn’t been a very productive experiment between the two of them.

Reactions: Cavgator
I think Jolly that what many people see is that Lafler was never given a chance. He had his predecessor sitting in the box with him. I don't know about you but that would be like sharing your office with the person you replaced still on the payroll. Not a good idea. Whether Laffler is any good or not we will never know. All we know is that Beamer essentially destroyed Laffler's career. He needed to be successful at Virginia Tech and we know he had his hands tied. Not many could have been successful under those circumstances. I truly believe the hire was made to prove Beamer right in that a new OC was not the solution. Unfortunately for Beamer - this little "I told you so" backfired on him. Honestly it would not surprise me for Beamer to have put his own ego and feelings toward Stinespring ahead of the well being of the football program. Why would you hire an unproven commodity for a Top 20 football team. If we can get a hire as accomplished as Buzz for the basketball team then no way can you tell me we couldn't have done the same for the offensive coordinator. No I believe the hire was made to be unsuccessful so Beamer could come back and say "I told you so" about Stinespring. Sad that I feel that way but I can't explain the rationale for the hire any other way. I agree with you Jolly in that we wanted Stiney gone so much that we would have taken anyone. Beamer took advantage of that and kept Stiney on. I have no doubt that Beamer if he were to stay would try to reinstate Stiney as OC again after the Laffler experiment failed. But Beamer won't get that chance. 2016 at the latest. I am just hopeful we can land a good coach that can fix this program.

Swmrappell, that would be the classic example of cutting off your nose to spite your face. If that was Beamer’s plan then you have to think he wouldn’t have thought it would have gotten as bad as it did before his chance to slip Stiney back in as OC. I mean, certainly he didn’t expect his program to fall off the side of the cliff by taking such a risk to prove a point.
One thing, though, to keep in mind, is when the Laffler hire was made that Whit wasn’t the AD as was the case when Buzz was hired, and Laffler came at a bargain price since Auburn was still paying most of his salary. That statement is not meant to speak ill of the dead, of course, but could be relevant to our choice of hires. One of the most mysterious things to me is how/why Laffler was ever hired by Auburn as OC to begin with, with his OC pedigree being no more than it was, much less that he would come off of a 1-11 campaign from there to us. These are things that make you go hmmm.

I think Jolly that what many people see is that Lafler was never given a chance. He had his predecessor sitting in the box with him. I don't know about you but that would be like sharing your office with the person you replaced still on the payroll. Not a good idea. Whether Laffler is any good or not we will never know. All we know is that Beamer essentially destroyed Laffler's career. He needed to be successful at Virginia Tech and we know he had his hands tied. Not many could have been successful under those circumstances. I truly believe the hire was made to prove Beamer right in that a new OC was not the solution. Unfortunately for Beamer - this little "I told you so" backfired on him. Honestly it would not surprise me for Beamer to have put his own ego and feelings toward Stinespring ahead of the well being of the football program. Why would you hire an unproven commodity for a Top 20 football team. If we can get a hire as accomplished as Buzz for the basketball team then no way can you tell me we couldn't have done the same for the offensive coordinator. No I believe the hire was made to be unsuccessful so Beamer could come back and say "I told you so" about Stinespring. Sad that I feel that way but I can't explain the rationale for the hire any other way. I agree with you Jolly in that we wanted Stiney gone so much that we would have taken anyone. Beamer took advantage of that and kept Stiney on. I have no doubt that Beamer if he were to stay would try to reinstate Stiney as OC again after the Laffler experiment failed. But Beamer won't get that chance. 2016 at the latest. I am just hopeful we can land a good coach that can fix this program.

I'm tempted to agree with you. It was one of the dumbest hires in the last 20 yrs of football I've seen. And Beamer just isn't that dumb, so it does look shady at the very least, and unforgivable from my perspective because there is no justification. We could have gotten an fcs guy with a big offense minimum.

I'm tempted to agree with you. It was one of the dumbest hires in the last 20 yrs of football I've seen. And Beamer just isn't that dumb, so it does look shady at the very least, and unforgivable from my perspective because there is no justification. We could have gotten an fcs guy with a big offense minimum.
I think when Weaver was AD, the top priority was money, the books were always balanced. I remember him speaking at a VT athletics event several years ago and it was pointed out that Tech had never been in the red on the athletic budget. At least,that's how I remember it. So, if Loeffler had Auburn picking up almost all the check, it looked like a good hire at the time. Unfortunately, now you have to spend big money to win or your teams go downhill. Babcock will not hire someone that is the best bargain. I've never heard who had the final say on Loeffler's hire anyway. My bet is whoever is hired, Bud will get a chance to stay. And maybe get a better contract. A new coach would be crazy to let a defensive coach like that go. And maybe Bud will get the job a la Dabo(who makes about 2.75 or something like that. Clemson's DC coach makes about $500,000 plus, so Bud is up there as far as DC coaches go in salary.

Weaver was a football guy, he didn't hire Frank, but always gave him free reign. The man that hired Beamer, I can't remember, but it might have been Baughman, he wasn't at Tech for very long. Dooley had gotten into trouble with the NCAA so we needed a "clean" coach.

The problem I have with the money is this. . . .most of the salary for these guys comes from the boosters. At the time of Laffler's hire - VT was still doing moderately well. The boosters would have gladly paid to get top talent in to take us to the next level. I think the money issue was a smoke screen nothing more. I still think it was Beamer who wanted to prove his buddy was good after all. Had Beamer been able to pull this stunt off he would have shut up the masses for several years. I'm sure he is thinking that "No one is going to mess with my program". Maybe I am simplifying it too much but I can't explain it any other way. Just doesn't make sense. You are expanding the stadium for millions of dollars but you can't afford $400,000 -$500,000 for a top notch OC? Just doesn't make sense. Not at all.

I agree swmrappell. Heck even 1,000,000 for a top notch OC would not have been too much. Our conservative offense has cost us 98% of all defeats in past 5 years, probably. Look at the games we have lost by 7 points or less. Just one more TD and we would have won.

I agree swmrappell. Heck even 1,000,000 for a top notch OC would not have been too much. Our conservative offense has cost us 98% of all defeats in past 5 years, probably. Look at the games we have lost by 7 points or less. Just one more TD and we would have won.
Maybe so. Makes sense, but i still think the boosters can be swayed by Beamer and Weaver selling them on the idea of Loeffler being OC. That way Frank gets his way like you said and Weaver gets a "cheap" hire, as has been the case. I don't really know, but the boosters listen to those guys.

For more on ACC Football, read the John Feinstein article ACC Football: Don't Believe The Hype from the Washington Post recently. Has a lot to say about it's state. One of the things that he points out is Miami and us really had great teams not too long ago. I couldn't get the article to post.

Alright gentlemen...and Sunny Beach...it is time for both of our teams to strap 'em on tight (I'm referring to chinstraps...so you tarholes quit getting all excited) and finish out the season strong. Make changes and go for broke to salvage the season. Conservative play calling is out the window. Blitzes and bombs the rest of the season! :D

In the mad rush to blame Stiney for EVERYTHING, people have lost sight of reality. Scott Loeffler NEVER had a strong offense as an OC, be it Temple, Auburn (115th in total offense with the athletes they have!), or at Virginia Tech.

How long does it take before some people realize that it doesn't MATTER who the OC is. This is the offense Frank wants. He is a ball control/keep the defense rested kind of head coach, and for many years, it worked. Without the stud QB, RBs and OL, however, that strategy ain't working.

Loeffler was not handcuffed by Beamer and Stiney wasn't the de facto OC. He hasn't been the OC for years, and the offense simply got WORSE when the Hokies didn't have a Tyrod Taylor to make great plays out of nothing.

I've seen this same myth-making nonsense at South Carolina. Spurrier had horrible offenses at USCe until he had Connor Shaw at QB, a white version of Tyrod, who made the offense look a LOT better than it actually was. The mindless fans, of course, credited Spurrier for it, but it was the Beamer recipe, circa 2007-2011 that enabled South Carolina to go 11-2 three straight years. Without the playmaker at QB, however, South Carolina sank like a rock.

Beamer needs to retire, just as Spurrier did when he realized he was a detriment to his team rather than an asset, have Bud serve as interim, and determine whether or not Bud can make a difference. If not, bring in a hot young, energetic coach from a mid-major and let him roll! I have not seen a team more in need of new blood than VT since Bobby Bowden was on his last set of Depends at Florida State...

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
In the mad rush to blame Stiney for EVERYTHING, people have lost sight of reality. Scott Loeffler NEVER had a strong offense as an OC, be it Temple, Auburn (115th in total offense with the athletes they have!), or at Virginia Tech.

How long does it take before some people realize that it doesn't MATTER who the OC is. This is the offense Frank wants. He is a ball control/keep the defense rested kind of head coach, and for many years, it worked. Without the stud QB, RBs and OL, however, that strategy ain't working.

Loeffler was not handcuffed by Beamer and Stiney wasn't the de facto OC. He hasn't been the OC for years, and the offense simply got WORSE when the Hokies didn't have a Tyrod Taylor to make great plays out of nothing.

I've seen this same myth-making nonsense at South Carolina. Spurrier had horrible offenses at USCe until he had Connor Shaw at QB, a white version of Tyrod, who made the offense look a LOT better than it actually was. The mindless fans, of course, credited Spurrier for it, but it was the Beamer recipe, circa 2007-2011 that enabled South Carolina to go 11-2 three straight years. Without the playmaker at QB, however, South Carolina sank like a rock.

Beamer needs to retire, just as Spurrier did when he realized he was a detriment to his team rather than an asset, have Bud serve as interim, and determine whether or not Bud can make a difference. If not, bring in a hot young, energetic coach from a mid-major and let him roll! I have not seen a team more in need of new blood than VT since Bobby Bowden was on his last set of Depends at Florida State...
Haven't seen a team in more need.....really.....have you looked at our idiot Coach in Charlottesville?

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Alright gentlemen...and Sunny Beach...it is time for both of our teams to strap 'em on tight (I'm referring to chinstraps...so you tarholes quit getting all excited) and finish out the season strong. Make changes and go for broke to salvage the season. Conservative play calling is out the window. Blitzes and bombs the rest of the season! :D

What do you mean "and" sunny? I may not be the most chivalrous, but dude come on. I have the utmost respect for my custom blow up doll. She's a dainty one I tell you.

Exactly! Frank had the offense just the way he wanted it.

I think the OC matters. There's nothing wrong with using a ball control offense, but you still need an OC who can run it effectively enough to win games consistently. You have to make enough plays offensively and defensively to win, and we aren't doing either, consistently.

Today the offense did enough to win. The defense couldn't make a play when we needed it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT