ADVERTISEMENT

I think the greatness that is UTenn football...

hokiemtc

Hokie Hall of Fame
Mar 29, 2002
...might have been exhaggerated a little bit.

Or maybe a LOT.

Although Dobbs has definitely lit up a stout App St defense to the tune of 57 yards passing so far, and UTenn's ungodly amazing running game has put up an very impressive 59 yards in their own right.

App St up 13-3, 3:00 left in 1st half.

I'm not sure how VT's overmatched defense will hold this juggernaut to less than a thousand yards? Maybe Bud Foster can go hang out with the App St coaches next week and learn a little something.

Last edited:
UTenn's impressive show of offensive firepower continues, steam rolling past the 100 yd barrier in rushing thru 3 qtrs. 100 yds...300 yds...it's all the same thing, really. Total physical dominance in full display.

Add in another high flying 88 yds thru the air by an excellent 3 year starter at QB (who also runs better than Mike Vick), and the masterpiece is complete.

One more qtr of abuse and the App St defense can go crawl on the bus and get out of town. I hope the scoreboard operator is getting paid overtime for his efforts in keeping up with UTenn's scoring in this game.

Last edited:
...might have been exhaggerated a little bit.

Or maybe a LOT.

Although Dobbs has definitely lit up a stout App St defense to the tune of 57 yards passing so far, and UTenn's ungodly amazing running game has put up an very impressive 59 yards in their own right.

App St up 13-3, 3:00 left in 1st half.

I'm not sure how VT's overmatched defense will hold this juggernaut to less than a thousand yards? Maybe Bud Foster can go hang out with the App St coaches next week and learn a little something.
I am sure that is exactly what Tenn coaches were hoping for....play horribly (yet win) so they can then really get the players attention and then get them to focus when they play us. I'd have preferred they win easily this week and come somewhat overconfident next week against us.

Their offense is just simply pathetic. I don't think it'll matter what mindset they bring in next week.

We'll need to generate a few points to win, but it won't be many.

We need to play the run and short pass like App State and not give the QB time to heave it long to that tall WR TN has.

The best weapon UTenn has in this game is App St's kicker, who is single-handidly keeping the Vols in it by shanking kicks.

Bud has to be licking his chops.....UT offensive line is pathetic. QB has been unimpressive at best. I'd be surprised if VT isn't favored before kick off.

Reactions: zep 40
I hope the Vols send the App St kicker a nice goody tray for sending this game to overtime. It's the least they could do for his enormous generosity.

He's hand down the MVP for UTenn in this game.

OH NO!!!!!!!!

Dobbs might've hurt his ribs on that stupid goal line decision. Please, please, please don't let Dobbs be hurt...

Haha...App St's kicker gets the win for UTenn. Good for him.

Well, I do know this...UTenn ain't no top 25 team.

Like Charlie Brown kicking Lucy's football, I've seen this show before. TN will likely come out against us like the 1964 Green Bay Packers. Hate to say it, bc I'm no TN fan... Slop against Appy hurts us, IMHO.

Last time I watched a game on TV in which TN was playing, I believe was Dobbs first game. The TV announcers were acting as if Dobbs was a 3 time Heisman Trophy winner who passed for 3,000 yards and ran for 3000 each season. it was totally sickening to listen to them drool over their stupidity. I turned off TV after 2 plays. They actually were trying to build this guy as the best college football player ever.
Announcers are good for spreading manure. I recall some QB coming into Lane Stadium a few years ago. They had already anointed with Heisman Trophy. Well, after the VT defense got finished with him, he was never heard from again.

A little Tennessee perspective here... I was at last nights game and I'm not all that concerned about season's future.

I dont want to get long winded but we chad a VERY vanilla gameplan on offense. No misdirection, no option game, no Hurd and Kamara on the field at the same time... We thought we could line up and run it down their throats. That obviously didnt happen, which is a little concerning, but with an open playbook it wouldn't have been an issue, IMO. Their timely "cramps" really disrupted the flow of our offense as well. I tip my hat to App St's staff for pulling out all the stops to get a win, but thought that was busch league.

On defense, App St's option game is filthy. We tackled well on the perimeter but got gashed some because we were so spread out. The flow of the game (App being ahead) didnt help the defense either. Had we gotten a lead and made them throw it would have been ugly.

App St coached a heck of a game and their HC will not be at App St much longer. Excellent job by he and his guys.

Again, I'm not that concerned. The nation will know a lot more about Tennessee next week.

I dont want to get long winded but we chad a VERY vanilla gameplan on offense.
It was very vanilla because your oline couldn't get anything at all blocked up front. I was being sarcastic and joking in a bunch of posts above, but in all seriousness, it took me all of about 2 minutes watching your offense to realize you guys have a hell of lot bigger problems than just a vanilla gameplan.

And as far as the defense goes, App St has zero threat of a credible passing attack of any kind, and you still couldn't shut them down.

Kudos to you for not being worried. If this were my team that I had just watched, I'd be looking at the schedule wondering who all of the teams were that we could be beat to finish above .500. App St is probably the 2nd worst team that UTenn will play all year.

From ESPN..."The Vols chunked up a big ugly brick in their most anticipated debut in more than a decade, and even though they survived, they get the early award as college football’s biggest fraud."

Another gem..."Either way, Tennessee is not the ninth-best team in the country, The ninth-best team in the SEC, maybe, but not the country."

Yep, I'd say that about sums it up.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_...-win-tennessee-falls-flat-in-much-hyped-debut

I am sure TN did not use entire playbook, but their game plan to "line up and run ball down throats" is the number one reason for getting beat in football. Very bad coaching job by Jones.

and you still couldn't shut them down.

They scored 13 points. 0 points in the second half. And one of their touchdowns was a drive that started on the 30 yard line because of a muffed punt. The defense was fine.

I think it is highly premature to jump off a bridge about anything after week 1. My biggest concern would be our inability to move them with our OL, but again, if we open up the playbook I think we could have given them a lot more problems and scored a lot more points. Dobbs makes our offense go when he is running the ball. That was totally taken out of the playbook because we didn't want to put hits on him.

You and ESPN can over react all you want. 1-0 is 1-0. Like I said before, we will know a lot more about Tennessee after playing VT.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of football in the last 40 years. UTenn did not pass the eye test of a top 25 team, much less a top 10 team. And that's not really an over reaction.

I do expect that UTenn will play better next week than they did this week, but I saw several red flags in there that aren't going to get fixed in a week...if at all.

The good news for UTenn is...I'm not expecting VT to look like a top 10 team, either. The only difference being, of course, is that the entire nation isn't expecting us to.

I understand not wanting to open up the playbook on game one. However, it seems you still have some issues with run blocking which is supposed to be your strength. Did you have any substitutions in there due to injury? All I know is that in my humble opinion, VT's defense is considerably more stout than ASU's. If your line does not gel by next week then it could be a rough outing for you. Not to say our offense will do any better. In almost two decades of decidedly poor offense - I am not on the VT Offense bandwagon.

I've seen a lot of football in the last 40 years. UTenn did not pass the eye test of a top 25 team, much less a top 10 team. And that's not really an over reaction.

I do expect that UTenn will play better next week than they did this week, but I saw several red flags in there that aren't going to get fixed in a week...if at all.

The good news for UTenn is...I'm not expecting VT to look like a top 10 team, either. The only difference being, of course, is that the entire nation isn't expecting us to.

Arkansas lost to Toledo and beat LSU and Ole Miss last season.

Yes, and it could happen the same way this year, but I got the sense last year that Arkansas was going to be pretty strong, but just hadn't put it all together yet in week 1.

I didn't really get that sense last night, but we'll see how it works out. UTenn was lifeless, lethargic, unfocused and the oline is big and slow with poor footwork. Dobbs didn't look like he was seeing the field very well at all, especially for someone with several years worth of starting experience. There weren't many running lanes, but when there were, the UTenn backs didn't explode thru them. There were some other things I noticed, but are harder to quantify and explain (body language, for example). I didn't see any coaches over there firing up the team. I didn't see any seniors huddling up the younger guys to get everyone on the same page. In general, I didn't see a team that acted like they wanted to be there much at all.

The greatest improvement is between weeks 1 and 2, so if UTenn comes out next week and doesn't show the same red flags, then they'll probably be OK. If we see the same things next week, then I think there are bigger problems involved that won't be easily solved (leadership, chemistry, coaching and oline footwork, for starters)

Now let's go see how many red flags the Hokies throw up. It could realistically be pretty much anything on offense at this point, it's anybody's guess. I'm used to seeing an ugly Hokie offense every year that makes me want to go puke the first time I see it, so anything I see that doesn't make me nauseous is a win for the very first time out of the box.

I am 99.9999999999999% sure we will see a different VT offense. In the past it was mostly 2 runs up middle, a short pass to sideline and a punt on most possessions. or a FG attempt if we crossed the 40. We played a with a high school offense rather than a college offense.

Yes, and it could happen the same way this year, but I got the sense last year that Arkansas was going to be pretty strong, but just hadn't put it all together yet in week 1.

I didn't really get that sense last night, but we'll see how it works out. UTenn was lifeless, lethargic, unfocused and the oline is big and slow with poor footwork. Dobbs didn't look like he was seeing the field very well at all, especially for someone with several years worth of starting experience. There weren't many running lanes, but when there were, the UTenn backs didn't explode thru them. There were some other things I noticed, but are harder to quantify and explain (body language, for example). I didn't see any coaches over there firing up the team. I didn't see any seniors huddling up the younger guys to get everyone on the same page. In general, I didn't see a team that acted like they wanted to be there much at all.

The greatest improvement is between weeks 1 and 2, so if UTenn comes out next week and doesn't show the same red flags, then they'll probably be OK. If we see the same things next week, then I think there are bigger problems involved that won't be easily solved (leadership, chemistry, coaching and oline footwork, for starters)

Now let's go see how many red flags the Hokies throw up. It could realistically be pretty much anything on offense at this point, it's anybody's guess. I'm used to seeing an ugly Hokie offense every year that makes me want to go puke the first time I see it, so anything I see that doesn't make me nauseous is a win for the very first time out of the box.

I respect your opinion and you are not wrong... I don't know how much Tennessee football you have watched since Jones has been our head coach, but last night was a bit of an outlier. Jones' Vols typically play incredibly hard. That was the most surprising thing to me about last night's game... But again, it is year 4 and that is an outlier from what we have seen in many other ball games. I don't think effort will be any issue next week.

OL play is the most significant concern... But the opening of the playbook will help them tremendously, IMO.

Any idea where I can watch VT and Liberty tomorrow??

I dunno. It's officially listed as being on the ACC Network, but the ACC Network affiliate here in Charlotte (WBTV - CBS) is not bothering to show it. Luckily, it's being picked up on WMYT (Fox) instead, so I'll still get to see it here.

I don't know where you are, but there are 3 affiliates listed for Tennessee. I've included a link below. Who knows what games they'll actually show (if any), since the ACC Network deal seems to be a little bit all over the place.

http://www.raycomsports.com/theacc/matchCenters/publicAffiliates/370

As far as streaming goes, ESPN says they are, but who knows.

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/_/id/2873780/liberty-vs-virginia-tech-football

Reactions: RockyTopRowdy58
The same group that floundered the other night was the same group that rushed for 3k yards last yr, save one left tackle.
Will
Be
Find!

VT isn't ranked in the top 10.
VT isn't expected to play in the ACC title game.
VT doesn't have a returning coach.
VT doesn't have an established offensive system.
VT's QB was a JUCO last year and doesn't have several years worth of starting experience under his belt.
VT is not a member of God's conference gift to college football, in which all of the teams are allegedly superior to any other teams in history.

I'll take this first game for the new regime just the way it was. There's not a soul anywhere in America that this first effort disappointed, unlike that debacle UTenn rolled out the other night.

VT isn't ranked in the top 10.
VT isn't expected to play in the ACC title game.
VT doesn't have a returning coach.
VT doesn't have an established offensive system.
VT's QB was a JUCO last year and doesn't have several years worth of starting experience under his belt.
VT is not a member of God's conference gift to college football, in which all of the teams are allegedly superior to any other teams in history.

I'll take this first game for the new regime just the way it was. There's not a soul anywhere in America that this first effort disappointed, unlike that debacle UTenn rolled out the other night.

Tennessee beat an Appy st team that is rated higher than VT without opening the play book. UT did not respect Appy and that almost cost them. UT will respect VT and it is going to cost y'all.

1) Tennessee did not beat App St. App St's kicker beat App St, and that was only on the scoreboard, not on the field. Unless you're trying to take credit for the shanks.

2) Why would UTenn not open the playbook in a game that was a loss everywhere except on the scoreboard? Does that sound like good coaching to you? I'd be pissed if my coaches ever threw away a game like that, especially if all they had to do was call a couple more plays to get the win.

3) If UTenn is deep, talented and experienced and ranked in the top 10 and their opponents are not, then why withhold anything? What logical sense does that make? Great UTenn coaching? Do you see Alabama intentionally losing to teams like App St just so that future unranked opponents don't get to see how good they really are? Do you see Ohio State doing it? Oregon?

4) And if App St is higher ranked than VT is, then why withhold stuff against the better opponent so that the worse opponent doesn't see it? What logical sense does that make? More great UTenn coaching?

5) The entire UTenn offense returned from last season, so which plays exactly do your genius coaches think the world hasn't seen yet? What new players are going to jump up and surprise VT this week? If there are new schemes, then why wait until the VT game to see if any of them work? What logical sense does any of that make? More great UTenn coaching?

6) Why respect VT and not App St if VT is ranked lower than App St? What logical sense does that make? More great UTenn Coaching?

I must admit your entire post perplexed me. Seriously, WTF?

Last edited:
1) Tennessee did not beat App St. App St's kicker beat App St, and that was only on the scoreboard, not on the field. Unless you're trying to take credit for the shanks.

2) Why would UTenn not open the playbook in a game that was a loss everywhere except on the scoreboard? Does that sound like good coaching to you? I'd be pissed if my coaches ever threw away a game like that, especially if all they had to do was call a couple more plays to get the win.

3) If UTenn is deep, talented and experienced and ranked in the top 10 and their opponents are not, then why withhold anything? What logical sense does that make? Great UTenn coaching? Do you see Alabama intentionally losing to teams like App St just so that future unranked opponents don't get to see how good they really are? Do you see Ohio State doing it? Oregon?

4) And if App St is higher ranked than VT is, then why withhold stuff against the better opponent so that the worse opponent doesn't see it? What logical sense does that make? More great UTenn coaching?

5) The entire UTenn offense returned from last season, so which plays exactly do your genius coaches think the world hasn't seen yet? What new players are going to jump up and surprise VT this week? If there are new schemes, then why wait until the VT game to see if any of them work? What logical sense does any of that make? More great UTenn coaching?

6) Why respect VT and not App St if VT is ranked lower than App St? What logical sense does that make? More great UTenn Coaching?

I must admit your entire post perplexed me. Seriously, WTF?

Not opening the playbook is about the pitch count on Dobbs (pitches being hits, in this case)... Not about hiding anything.

Not sure why you have put so much effort into your stance on the TN/App game just to be so damn wrong.

Tennessee would have found a way to win whether their kicker made kicks or not. Its like you have never seen a greater opponent not play well vs a lesser opponent. It happens every Saturday, and the greater team usually wins, even if they don't deserve to.

We see greater opponents not play well vs lesser opponents all the time. It was a Frank Beamer specialty, in fact. But those teams we see usually aren't vastly overrated by the media as top 10 teams or self-proclaimed to be great because they play in the God's gift to football conference.

And what exactly was UTenn going to do to win if the App St kicker made that XP? Or the FG? Or both? This spin job should be epic, can't wait.

I do agree with you about hit count to an extent, but what you're really saying is that your coaches actively decided that they would rather lose to App St outright than to let Dobbs take a few extra hits. Or did your genius coaches know ahead of time that App St would miss an XP to lose the game? Either way...doesn't seem like sound coaching to me. I'm pretty sure Nick Saban didn't ditch 75% of his playbook last week because the QB might take a few extra hits.

We see greater opponents not play well vs lesser opponents all the time. It was a Frank Beamer specialty, in fact. But those teams we see usually aren't vastly overrated by the media as top 10 teams or self-proclaimed to be great because they play in the God's gift to football conference.

And what exactly was UTenn going to do to win if the App St kicker made that XP? Or the FG? Or both? This spin job should be epic, can't wait.

I do agree with you about hit count to an extent, but what you're really saying is that your coaches actively decided that they would rather lose to App St outright than to let Dobbs take a few extra hits. Or did your genius coaches know ahead of time that App St would miss an XP to lose the game? Either way...doesn't seem like sound coaching to me. I'm pretty sure Nick Saban didn't ditch 75% of his playbook last week because the QB might take a few extra hits.

They'll beat us 31-13. U sound like a woman arguing. Please stop ur an embarrassment.

Not a spin job, the better team just find a way to win. The gameplay would be entirely different if App St had more points on the board.

Again, happens every Saturday... It's like you have never watched football before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT