ADVERTISEMENT

INSIDE the Tunnel: Zeroing in on one?

TimSullivan

HokieHaven.com Editor
Aug 15, 2011
Nashville, TN
I've fielded a number of questions from college football media colleagues over the past 24 hours about Penn State defensive coordinator Brent Pry. Sources in Blacksburg have indicated interest is mutual and serious. And now it's hit the mainstream with our Yahoo Sports colleague Pete Thamel taking it to the masses:

When that happens, it's just about a done deal. I think we're a little farther from that point right now, but my response to a Penn State beat writer who asked me late last night was simple: "I'm hearing it from the VT end, and it makes a lot of sense."

Of course, Pry checks several of the boxes that Babcock wants: a winning pedigree, recruiting links in the region, and even a Hokie connection (he was a GA at Virginia Tech in Bud Foster's first two years as the DC here). He also doesn't check a couple key ones, though, namely a breadth of experience running one side of the ball (until 2016, he had only ever been a co-coordinator) or having been a head coach at any level. Nonetheless, VT is in a position to hire a guy who fits some but not all criteria, and Pry nails a few of the most important ones. He's also a guy who'd be willing to have some continuity on the staff but bring in some new blood from outside the program, a nice blend that can be important at a program that has some geographic and cultural quirks like VT (fortunately, Penn State has a lot of the same quirks, which is one of the reasons there's a natural connection between the two programs).

I'll continue monitoring the situation and keeping touch with sources in both Blacksburg and State College, but it's looking increasingly likely that Whit Babcock has found his man, and the primary bridge to cross before a hire is made will come down to the negotiations on contract and the specifics of what resources the program will be given.

Stay tuned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News