ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Marlon Character Talks Top Three***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Guys, the full story will be out tomorrow, but I spoke just a few minutes ago with Grady (Ga.) four-star safety Marlon Character, No. 195 in the Rivals250. As most of you saw and even from the tweet I embedded, Character tweeted a top three of VT, South Carolina and Ohio State:

Character said he actually plays both ways in school, WR and safety. He actually played mostly receiver in a seven-on-seven today in Atlanta. But he tells coaches who ask that he wants to play defense, because he feels like that's his best chance to get to the NFL and succeed in college. Character also returns punts and kicks.

I had him break down his top three and with VT, he likes the Hokies' track record of sending DBs to the NFL. He also said he feels like "I can be productive there" and he really likes Bud Foster and Torrian Gray. Character still has not visited Blacksburg yet, but here's the best news, he plans to visit for a whole weekend, June 19-21.

South Carolina sounds to be the other one that's right with VT. Character last visited there for the Gamecocks' game against Georgia last fall and plans on visiting again, June 13. This one though is only a one-day visit. Character said, "I can see myself playing there" and likes the overall energy in the program.

Of the three, the darkhorse sounds like Ohio State. Character has not visited there, either, and doesn't have a visit planned. But he likes the coaches and said they've "recruited me hard." Still, with no visit set and not saying a lot on the Buckeyes, it sounds like they're in a clear third.

Character said he doesn't have a date set to commit, but believes he'll be ready after his visits. Still, he said that will likely come in July, as he wants some time to think about his top three and his visits. Right now, it sounds like it's between VT and South Carolina and the upcoming visits will be the deciding factor. For the Hokies to be in this well without him visiting says a lot to where they stand.

Full story coming but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News