ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Pete Leota Update***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Guys, I just spoke a little while ago with Asheville (NC) OL Pete Leota, who's one of VT's top OL targets. Leota actually called me while he and his family are on vacation in Maine.

Leota told me that basically, he's changed his mind a bit since he did a story with our South Carolina site, GamecockCentral.com, a few weeks ago. Leota told me that North Carolina is now his leader, followed by VT and South Carolina. The main thing that's changed is that Leota visited UNC June 20 for the Freak Show camp. He told me he spoke with North Carolina's athletic director there. "They said everything is fine with the scandal. They think they’re in the clear," Leota said. That's completely changed things and he said, calmed his parents and grandparents.

With VT, Leota said "they're still at the top of my list," but obviously behind UNC. Leota said he still loves the history and academics in Blacksburg and that he has a great relationship with assistant coach Stacy Searels. Leota said they stay in contact every day and that assistant coach Shane Beamer is constantly sending him messages on Twitter to show their support and stance. Leota actually was supposed to visit VT June 20, but cancelled because the entire coaching staff was on vacation. He now sounds like he'll visit when he returns from Maine, sometime next week.

But VT better hurry. While Leota also loved South Carolina a few weeks ago when he camped there and he loved talking with Steve Spurrier and his assistant, Shawn Elliott, the Gamecocks sound like they're a more distant third. Leota told me, "Maybe by the end of July, if UNC is still in my heart, maybe I'll do a soft verbal."

Other visits Leota hopes to take are to Auburn, Ole Miss and Tennessee and Georgia.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News