ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: UA Basketball Camp Days 2-3***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Guys, Kelly and I are back from Charlotte after checking out more VT targets in action at the Under Armour All-America Camp powered by Rivals.com. I'm sure you saw our video breakdown, but wanted to shed some other notes as well.

*First off, there were over 100 coaches on hand last night as the evaluation period officially began at 5 pm yesterday. Coach Buzz Williams wasn't there at the very beginning of games, but got in around 6 pm. Other notable coaches in attendance were Indiana's Tom Crean, Arizona's Sean Miler, Dayton's Archie Miller, Rutgers' Eddie Jordan, Texas A&M's Rick Stansbury, Florida's Michael White, Northwestern's Chris Collins and Minnesota's Richard Pitino.

**Williams was on hand last night to watch the Hokies' top target for the 2016 class, Dematha (Md.) combo guard Markelle Fultz. It was Fultz who told us that Williams had told him he was visiting the camp just to watch him. Williams did not return today, as the staff is also set to attend the Nike Peach Jam and Adidas Uprising.

***As it stands right now, VT still has an excellent chance with Fultz. The last visit he's taken was still to Blacksburg on the Monday just before the NBPA Top 100 camp, but he has an official right now set to Arizona. It sounds like Louisville will get a visit, too. And there's a very good chance VT will have one also. As has been the case for a little while now, Fultz is waiting to see if Kentucky offers. That's his dream school. If the Cats don't, I think the Hokies have a great chance here. He did visit UK and Louisville the week before VT. Kentucky asst coach John Robic was on hand last night, but was sitting courtside on the opposite court that Fultz was playing on. Not sure how much to read into that, though. Fultz said he does like how spiritual Williams is and how Williams tells him to thank his mother every day. So Buzz is smartly recruiting the parents as much as the players. Watch Maryland, Georgetown and a few others, too.

****The one guy to really watch aside from Fultz is Huntington prep (WV) four-star guard Curtis Jones, No. 60 in the Rivals150. Originally from Richmond, he knows Jalen Hudson and played with him. Jones said he wouldn't mind the idea of playing again. Jones did visit VT for a game in January and has stayed in touch with Williams and the staff. Jones said he also likes how Buzz talks to him about the bible. Jones rattled off a lot of schools still in the mix, though his most recent visits were to Indiana and Georgetown.

*****One guy we can pretty well write off is Oldsmar Christian (Fla.) four-star guard Eric Hester. He's had a VT offer since last fall, but the Hokies haven't been as much in contact in a while. He doesn't have an official top two, but it's obvious that Florida and Louisville are the top two here.

******The one guy I really didn't mention much in our first INsider chat is one you should definitely be aware of, 2017 Dillard (Fla.) three-star forward Raiquan Gray. VT is one of only four offers for him right now. San Francisco just offered after seeing him last night, while Binghamton and Vermont have also offered. Very athletic kid who's strong around the rim and cleans up on the glass. My guess is he won't be underrated for very long and could grab more offers from this camp.

Full stories coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News