ADVERTISEMENT

Lets Go Hokie Basketball

I'm not sure how this one will end, but goddamn. This is an NCAA team without a doubt if we're going with the eye test. They are completely manhandling Duke right now.

If you don't beat Duke without Allen you will never beat them. I bet Allen's suspension ends after today.

Lol, yeah, Allen's absence hurts them but we're embarrassing their defense right now and it's not by mistake. I know you're upset that Buzz is such a good coach, and that you were wrong when you said you were unconcerned with the hire a few years ago. But burying your head in the sand doesn't change the fact that this is a very good VT team with a very high ceiling.

If I were the coach, I'd have given him a 2 or 3 game suspension since this was his third offense.

It shouldn't even be up to the coach. The ACC should have suspended his punk ass the first time he did this for multiple games. His complete and total lack of contrition is embarrassing, and it's obvious he's not contrite because he keeps doing it. Also, his apology after the Elon game was such a damn joke. Absolutely no emotion or conviction in his voice -- just straight going through the motions to cover his ass.

It shouldn't even be up to the coach. The ACC should have suspended his punk ass the first time he did this for multiple games. His complete and total lack of contrition is embarrassing, and it's obvious he's not contrite because he keeps doing it. Also, his apology after the Elon game was such a ****ing joke. Absolutely no emotion or conviction in his voice -- just straight going through the motions to cover his ass.
I agree 100%....

Lol, yeah, Allen's absence hurts them but we're embarrassing their defense right now and it's not by mistake. I know you're upset that Buzz is such a good coach, and that you were wrong when you said you were unconcerned with the hire a few years ago. But burying your head in the sand doesn't change the fact that this is a very good VT team with a very high ceiling.
First off I hope you beat the crap out of Duke....2ndly I think Buzz is really coaching them up today, VT looking good. How much difference would having Allen make? Some for sure but may not have mattered the way Duke plays defense or maybe I should say lack of.....

I hope VT storms the court....Ferrat Face hates that and loves to complain to the press.

I hope Duke can rebound and beat the Hoos when they play.
Hoos19 should get his hair styled like that guy for UVA. He might have worst hair in all of basketball. He looks as if he should be on women's team.

I hope Duke can rebound and beat the Hoos when they play.
Hoos19 should get his hair styled like that guy for UVA. He might have worst hair in all of basketball. He looks as if he should be on women's team.
I wish I had enough hair to do it.....

Yep...first he pisses the opponent off by hitting a deep 3, then he pisses them off because they have to look at him afterwards.

Dude double-whammies them.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
I know you're upset that Buzz is such a good coach, and that you were wrong when you said you were unconcerned with the hire a few years ago.
I tried to tell him...

It is Buzz Year III and WA LA - a new cast and culture has risen! I'm loving this team that moves the ball so well, and so quickly. They are difficult to defend and Duke wasn't ready to do it. Too many players on the floor at one time that can pass, drive, and knock down 3s.

I think its safe to say now that its setting up to be a pretty even and hotly contested series between Buzz and Tony from here on out. Its going to be fun for the fans (especially ours). I hope both programs can stay ranked by the time they meet, because this conference is murders row.

When VT plays the pretty boys from Charlottesville I look for boo hoos to hold the ball and try to keep score in the 50s. It will have the feel of a high school game.

If this team ever gets some bigs, they'll be big trouble for the rest of the world.

They're already trouble, really, even without the bigs.

If this team ever gets some bigs, they'll be big trouble for the rest of the world.

They're already trouble, really, even without the bigs.

I think Sy is still a little rough around the edges, but I've been really impressed with him so far. Has really solid low-post fundamentals and general presence. If he can learn to play within himself and avoid foul trouble he'll be huge for us going forward -- and especially next year. Clarke also has the size of a wing/guard but plays much bigger. I love the way that dude disrupts the boards.

I tried to tell him...

It is Buzz Year III and WA LA - a new cast and culture has risen! I'm loving this team that moves the ball so well, and so quickly. They are difficult to defend and Duke wasn't ready to do it. Too many players on the floor at one time that can pass, drive, and knock down 3s.

I think its safe to say now that its setting up to be a pretty even and hotly contested series between Buzz and Tony from here on out. Its going to be fun for the fans (especially ours). I hope both programs can stay ranked by the time they meet, because this conference is murders row.

Well said. I just hope we can hold on to Buzz. I want him to cement his legacy here.

Sy will only get better, especially when Blackshear is healthy to practice against. Another year with David Jackson will add 15-20 pounds. Glad to see Buzz opening the door at Oak Hill too.

When VT plays the pretty boys from Charlottesville I look for boo hoos to hold the ball and try to keep score in the 50s. It will have the feel of a high school game.
Have you ever watched a UVA game? All of our games are low scoring, that's what great defense does to their opponents.

I tried to tell him...

VT is playing really well right now, kudos to Buzz. I will tell you the way to beat UVA's pack line defense is to shoot the 3 really well....that is the kryptonite. The double whammy was a team like Mich St. that not only shot the 3 well but had a dominate big man as well. Look at the FSU game Saturday, they had a guy completely on fire from 3 and that was the doom. You will get very few fast break opportunities so you have to shoot well from outside or dominate the boards, which you may or may not do. When Bennett kicked Nichols off the team (rightfully so) it really hurt UVA on the inside. Salt is still a project, he's getting better defensively but is awful at scoring. Diakite will be a force in time but he's still a freshman and has a lot to learn. Guy (man bun) is a sniper and has potential to be a star in the ACC if he continues to work hard. It should be a great match up when we play, 2 entirely different styles.....

Have you ever watched a UVA game? All of our games are low scoring, that's what great defense does to their opponents.[/QUOT

Hoos might play good defense, but majority of the low scoring games are more of the result of "holding" ball on offense.

Man bun is shooting the lights out every time I watch UVA. We gotta contain the Bun. I expect to see Bibbs on him most of the time he's in the game.

Generally you don't get a lot of fast break opportunities against Bennett's teams because they don't turn it over. Flash back to last year when we beat you - 16 UVA turnovers - was the big stat in that game.

We will not dominate the boards against anybody in the ACC, but we must get defensive rebounds to win any ACC game. We're getting that done with team effort right now. The best way for a team to beat us is the dominate us on their offensive glass, like TAMU did in the 2nd half when they erased our 17 point lead. That's why I worry about match ups like FSU, and FSU has a lot better guards than TAMU has.

Pack line D could be a real problem for UVA against a team like Tech. We have a lot of players who can hit 3's, and they are great at creating open looks out of their ball movement. They are shooting over 40% on 3s as a team, and if they are all hot at the same time like they were against Duke, there's not much chance they lose in that scenario. Of course, they won't always be that hot, but if we force 16 turnovers again it probably won't matter.

The biggest vulnerability I've seen with Tech is on D at times staying in front of drivers (although they do a decent job bringing defensive help at the rim) For that reason I think Shayock could have a big game.

We should expect to be treated to a couple of great games this year between Tech and UVA. We match up better with you this year than last year to make it a game in both venues. I think the keys for us is defensive rebounds and contain the Bun.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
It's Marquette all over again. This team reminds me of Buzzs Marquette teams which were athletic, rebounding their arses off, and just scrappy at every position.

I like the way we are playing right now. If we continue then getting into the NCAA' should not be an issue. Lot of games to play though and we have to win the games that we can. We have a couple of nice wins so we just can't lose a bad one.

Obviously you don't watch UVA....their defense is what keeps the score low because the other team takes the shot clock way down almost every time they have the ball. UVA shoots quicker than their opponents in most games. Why don't you watch a game before posting stuff you don't know about.

I like the way we are playing right now. If we continue then getting into the NCAA' should not be an issue. Lot of games to play though and we have to win the games that we can. We have a couple of nice wins so we just can't lose a bad one.
I believe you are in the NCAA tournament as of today.....now just don't play your way out.

Lunardi had already moved us up to a 8 seed as of last week, so he already had us solidly in. And that was before blowing Duke out.

I watched one possession of a UVA game last season. I have watched one possession this season. I could not watch an entire game if someone paid me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT