ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at your schedule, the Hokies could run the table

TN-Gamecock

Walk-On
May 10, 2002
looks like Miami will be your biggest test...other than maybe Pitt, I see y'all running the table and playing Clemson in the Championship Game...

Who would've guessed you guys would be looking at a possible championship game in Fuentes before year #2....congrats x 10000000000000000000000....

Last edited:
I'm hoping the new regime gets us over the hump with Pitt. They've won 4 in a row at home against us, and a couple of those were really ugly ass whippings.

Historically, we've always had troubles in the Dome as well, so there's still a LONG ways to go this season.

Also, I don't think Miami is very good at all. The defense is pretty decent, but their offense is pathetic. Miami's offense only scored 21 vs GT's sad sack defense last week (BC scored 14 for reference), and thru 3 qtrs tonight, they've only scored 1 TD against FSU's even sadder sack defense.

Miami fans will spin it a lot of different ways, but here's the reality:

FSU gave up 45 to Ole Miss.
FSU gave up 63 to Louisville, who's starters didn't even play the entire game
FSU gave up 35 to South Florida
FSU gave up 37 to UNC.

Miami tonight...1 TD so far. One.

If Miami can't score on GT and FSU, then they're going to be in a world of hurt against VT's defense.

looks like Miami will be your biggest test...other than maybe Pitt, I see y'all running the table and playing Clemson in the Championship Game...

Who would've guessed you guys would be looking at a possible championship game in Fuentes year #2....congrats x 10000000000000000000000....
You mean year #1. We all EXPECT Championship game in year 2.

I'm hoping the new regime gets us over the hump with Pitt. They've won 4 in a row at home against us, and a couple of those were really ugly ass whippings.

Historically, we've always had troubles in the Dome as well, so there's still a LONG ways to go this season.

Also, I don't think Miami is very good at all. The defense is pretty decent, but their offense is pathetic. Miami's offense only scored 21 vs GT's sad sack defense last week (BC scored 14 for reference), and thru 3 qtrs tonight, they've only scored 1 TD against FSU's even sadder sack defense.

Miami fans will spin it a lot of different ways, but here's the reality:

FSU gave up 45 to Ole Miss.
FSU gave up 63 to Louisville, who's starters didn't even play the entire game
FSU gave up 35 to South Florida
FSU gave up 37 to UNC.

Miami tonight...1 TD so far. One.

If Miami can't score on GT and FSU, then they're going to be in a world of hurt against VT's defense.

Like you said, "new regime." I wouldn't worry too much about the old, troubling norms. Fuente is going to make us forget about the stodgy conservativsm that hamstrung this program under Beamer. It's over-said, perhaps, but this is a new era.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
If the team continues to look at season one game at a time, there is a good chance to win out but need to make sure we avoid fumbles in future games.

It's too early to claim that. One team at a time.
However, I think you get help from maybe Miami beating UNC....or it would be good you guys the other way around, UNC beating Miami....

As long as you continue to win of course you'll win out, but having a little help from others teams knocking off teams right on your heels () is great too....

If we can get to Dungey, then it's game over. Kid throws short and quick and he's good at it. We'll see what MR. Foster has dialed up.
As to the rest, It means a lot of things have to go right but it is quite possible.
Coach Fu knew we had talent. He got the QB and supplied the system. Our guys are very hungry.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
What will really tell the tale on how hungry our guys are is if the 2nd stringers start producing during garbage time. For the first time in a long time, we have the luxury of building enough of a lead to pull our starters and give others some playing time. That is one thing I like about an explosive offense. Coupled with our defense it really puts a team in a bind to get behind with us. Not only do they have to keep pace with our offense in a shooting match . .. they have to outplay Foster's defense which is no easy task. This will frustrate the hell out of opposing coaches to where they get desperate with the passing game to catch up . . . one dimensional football keys right into our defense.

Well if we do win out then we will have to play most likely Clemson for the ACC. That is getting way ahead of ourselves. We need to take care of business each week first before dreaming of ACC title games.

Very true rappel. Play them one at a time. In the past we have lost games to inferior teams that did not belong on the field with us.

I guess somebody forgot to tell Syracuse that Va. Tech was gonna run the table.
Somebody forgot to tell VT that Va. Tech was gonna run the table.

It sure didn't seem like that was a goal listed on the team's pregame blackboard today. Or maybe the players were asleep and didn't see it.

Reactions: bowlingref
I only got see to the 1st half but I was surprised by VT's lose. Seems like the mobile QB was giving Bud fits. But more surprising was the lack of offense, the play calling was head scratching....I've been watching VT light it up thru the air and watching Evans running all over teams. Today was very conservative while I was watching. I guess the coaches had seen how teams were running so easily against Cuse. I'm just not sure VT has the OL to line up behind and beat many teams.

If we can get to Dungey, then it's game over. Kid throws short and quick and he's good at it. We'll see what MR. Foster has dialed up.
As to the rest, It means a lot of things have to go right but it is quite possible.
Coach Fu knew we had talent. He got the QB and supplied the system. Our guys are very hungry.
MR. Foster installed a game plan that could not possibly succeed. When he did make minor alterations, things got worse. The O game plan was also very poor and changes were not good. ST's went back to the suck mode. Oyur guys were not ready to play a FB game.

MR. Foster installed a game plan that could not possibly succeed. When he did make minor alterations, things got worse. The O game plan was also very poor and changes were not good. ST's went back to the suck mode. Oyur guys were not ready to play a FB game.
That is by far the worst game plan I have seen from Foster. Only 3 man front meant there was no way we could pressure the QB and so he had all day to find receivers or take off and gain 6-7 yards if he wanted. We play our best defense when we pressure him. Without that, it became an average or below average defense which could not stop Syracuse offense. Hopefully Foster learned something from that and does not try that again. Also, this was Big 12 offense. Those who say that Big 12 teams don't play defense can hopefully now understand how difficult it is to contain the opposing offenses.

I wish Foster had sent 5-6 every play. 3 down linemen meant no pressure and a wide open QB keeper play.

This was like dejavu all over again!

Beat OSU on the road, get ranked and then lose to ECU at home.

Beat UNC on the road, get ranked and lose to Syracuse on the road.

I really thought this year (and new coach) was going to be different. Still scratching my head over this one. Defense, offense and special teams all performed poorly.

I wish Foster had sent 5-6 every play. 3 down linemen meant no pressure and a wide open QB keeper play.
The three time we did bring pressure we had good results. Having our LB lined up like wing backs on defense really had me scratching my head. All Dungy had to do was get past the d line and it was an automatic 8 to 12 yards.

After we beat UT last nite, I guess anything is possible...I understand UT beating you as the game was in Bristol which was clearly a home game for the Vols. They were at full strengh at the time....Syracuse is the one that I hated to see you lose....

I'm also glad BC beat NC State....

Go Gamecocks, Go Hokies!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT