ADVERTISEMENT

Many O and D stats inside. O 107th in yds per play. D-85th in rushing

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
Out of 128 FBS programs......

Offense
Total Offense Ranks 80th.. Moves up 8 spots after the D Game. Note: We had 361 Total Yards through 4 quarters vs Duke. If the game would have ended there, the O would have went from 88th to 94th in Total O. Since 2001, we have had 8 offenses rank outside of 80th in Total O. (8 of 15 years).
Yards Per Play Ranks 107th. This is the fourth worst since 2001. Stiney topped the 107th in yards per play 3 different times.
Rushing Offense Ranks 66th.
Passing Offense Ranks 78th.
Passing Efficiency Ranks 64th. This was 71st prior to the Duke game.

Defense
Total Defense Ranks 42nd. Moves down 8 spots from 33rd prior to the Duke Game. This is the third worst since 1990 if it holds. Duke gained 348 yards through 4 quarters. If the game would have ended there, the D would have moved up from 33rd to 29th in Total D.
Rush Defense Ranks 85th. This is the worst of any Virginia Tech defense since 1990 if it holds by seasons end.
Yards Per Play Allowed Ranks 79th. This is the second worst of any defense since 1990 if it holds.
Pass Defense Ranks 23rd.

Just the facts man.

We disagree. I take the null hypothesis. The reason for the NO increase in winning is because of the Offense.
We do. We've had the same offensive numbers for years and we used to win 10 games with them. The losses started to mount when the D started to slip. Now we don't get any pressure on the QB, our line backer recruiting misses have been mind boggling and we are being manhandled at the position, and we lost our 5 star boundry corner to injury. Its the perfect storm, and recipe for losing, for a team with offensive issues. We're going to have more losses this year than in any year since '92, and its because we no longer have defense that rescues us from our inefficient offense.

We do. We've had the same offensive numbers for years and we used to win 10 games with them. The losses started to mount when the D started to slip. Now we don't get any pressure on the QB, our line backer recruiting misses have been mind boggling and we are being manhandled at the position, and we lost our 5 star boundry corner to injury. Its the perfect storm, and recipe for losing, for a team with offensive issues. We're going to have more losses this year than in any year since '92, and its because we no longer have defense that rescues us from our inefficient offense.
You wrote we have had the same offensive numbers for years and you basically ACCEPT that as being OK. It's not ok. It's also the major reason Frank is being shown the door.

You wrote we have had the same offensive numbers for years and you basically ACCEPT that as being OK. It's not ok. It's also the major reason Frank is being shown the door.
No, I never accepted that the offensive numbers were okay. Not basically, or otherwise.

No, I never accepted that the offensive numbers were okay. Not basically, or otherwise.
It's also the major reason Frank is being shown the door.
We disagree on that too. The major reason Frank is being shown the door is he's no longer winning enough.

We disagree on that too. The major reason Frank is being shown the door is he's no longer winning enough.
He's not winning enough because of years upon years of horrific offenses. His offensive system or choices offensively caught up in the area of wins and losses. We knew it would when we stopped having top ten Ds to carry the team.

He's not winning enough because of years upon years of horrific offenses. His offensive system or choices offensively caught up in the area of wins and losses. We knew it would when we stopped having top ten Ds to carry the team.
The offensive inefficiency was tolerated as long as we were winning enough despite of it. As long as the defense and special teams made up for it. I do agree we all knew it would end when the defenses couldn't keep carrying us through.

Also, JMO, his system was not the issue. Ball control offense should be fine, coupled with a great defense, as long as you have the coaching and personnel to execute it. He made some bad choices on the coaching side that led to the inefficiencies of his offenses.

Xs and Os are the same... Need better Willies and Joes.. I don't care what the numbers say for either unit. My eyes tell me that this is a very sloppy team. I was trending this was since 2011.

Xs and Os are the same... Need better Willies and Joes.. I don't care what the numbers say for either unit. My eyes tell me that this is a very sloppy team. I was trending this was since 2011.
Many reasons for this team getting worse. It's complicated for sure, but thanks for boiling it down - in the long run it does, in fact, come down to the Jimmies (Willies) and Joes.

We had enough Jimmies and Joes to win the Duke game in regulation if we had a coaching staff capable of managing the clock. Its more than just the Jimmies and the Joes. But, yes, that's part of it. Defense could have for sure used a few more Jimmies and Joes in OT against Duke.

Next year, who's going to be our QB when Brewer is gone? Player development?? Depth? Recruiting? Personnel decisions? How's Loeffler doing? How's he doing on 2 minute offense?

Reactions: RB4
agreed Jolly. Im ready for a change. We should have all known the deal with Loeffler. Usually when teams hire a OC they hire one that has done good at a previous stop, maybe someone lighting it up in a lower rank... No.. we grabbed someone who was just fired... All this right now is self inflected by the choices Beamer made in the past. He could have really upgraded this program and modernized it and chose not to... PS Shane Beamer couldn't coach H.S. football the way our RB tradition has been thrown out the window, and the way he handled the rotation his year has blown my mind.

Next year, who's going to be our QB when Brewer is gone?
Everyone already knows who the QB is going to be next year. Our coaching staff is currently very hard at work diligently preparing this young man to take over by allowing him to run the wildcat twice a game...every third week or so.

This is the way it works when you don't have a plan.

Everyone already knows who the QB is going to be next year. Our coaching staff is currently very hard at work diligently preparing this young man to take over by allowing him to run the wildcat twice a game...every third week or so.

This is the way it works when you don't have a plan.
Based on some rumors I've seen on a certain other Hokie website are we even sure he's going to still be here next year? We might need to pick up another graduate transfer in the off season since all Loeffler's other QB recruits (Ford, Durkin) didn't work out. Or, we could do what ECU does, and create QB's from 2 star players with FCS offers who come in and torch our defense every year.

Remember this if you have a new coach next year, your in waiting QB may not be his choice. He could bring in a spread offense and your QB is not a fit for it. Just saying

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT