ADVERTISEMENT

Marshawn Williams - Redshirt, ...?

Hokie81

Team Captain
Dec 27, 2007
I'm not an Orthopedic Surgeon, but it seems, all things considered, that VT should redshirt Marshawn this year. All that I've read indicates that it would be rushing MW's recovery to play him now. That should be the biggest factor re a RS this year.

Furthermore, VT is loaded with talented backs now, though maybe not quite MW's caliber except JC; size/caliber - Shai McKenzie, who is due to come back sooner from injury than Marshawn.

Of course, God forbid, VT could have another plague of RB injuries like last year, But, seems like RS would be best for VT and Marshawn in long run and should still have full stable of stallions next year.

I'm not an Orthopedic Surgeon, but it seems, all things considered, that VT should redshirt Marshawn this year. All that I've read indicates that it would be rushing MW's recovery to play him now. That should be the biggest factor re a RS this year.

Furthermore, VT is loaded with talented backs now, though maybe not quite MW's caliber except JC; size/caliber - Shai McKenzie, who is due to come back sooner from injury than Marshawn.

Of course, God forbid, VT could have another plague of RB injuries like last year, But, seems like RS would be best for VT and Marshawn in long run and should still have full stable of stallions next year.

I agree on Marshawn and i also think they should redshirt Shai. One more time on the knee and he's done for life. Let them both not only gain full strength but full confidence . We have a lot of good RB's. I realize things can and do go wrong but with JC,Tre,MAC,three TB FB's and DJ we should be ok.
Man i'm getting old. I left out the names pf the three FB's. Sam Rogers, Steven Peoples, and Jerome Wright. I also forgot about Deshawn McClease who is a very talented back.
Thats eight in all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hokie81
I agree on Marshawn and i also think they should redshirt Shai. One more time on the knee and he's done for life. Let them both not only gain full strength but full confidence . We have a lot of good RB's. I realize things can and do go wrong but with JC,Tre,MAC,three TB FB's and DJ we should be ok.
Man i'm getting old. I left out the names pf the three FB's. Sam Rogers, Steven Peoples, and Jerome Wright. I also forgot about Deshawn McClease who is a very talented back.
Thats eight in all.
Agreed, McKenzie's knees should get max rest/rehab, VT's offensive deficiencies generally are not due to having good RB's.

I don't disagree with any of the above opinions, but I say take it one game at a time and play the best RBs available each week. The real talent nowadays goes pro at the earliest opportunity. If you do what is best for the team, the rest will work itself out. A winning team can recruit more talent to fill the voids.

He's already said he's against the idea of redshirting this year but he may not have a choice. I think he'll probably play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT